Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Do you have to unhitch for a quick overnight?

Probably a silly question but I've had a class C for many years and am now getting a lightweight TT. Is it allright to just leave the rig attached for a quick overnight at Wal-mart or will you damage the hitch? I will have stabelizers in the rear, should I put them down. I travel solo most of the time so unhitching is more of an issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sometimes I'll park it in the driveway for a few days hitched up. But if our over-nighting at a Wally-World, putting the stabilizers down is kind of frowned on.....There is a bunch of treads on IRV2 all about Wally-World parking...

On our longer trips 500+ miles...I like to leave after dinner, drive about 6 hours, pull into a rest stop and the 3 of us will grab 4-5 hours shut-eye....I don't put the stabilizers or the slide out.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had my TT and was just overnighting even in a rv park if the space was fairly level I did not unhook. Walmart does frown on jacks down or slides out. But I see it often at the local walmart.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodancer View Post
Probably a silly question but I've had a class C for many years and am now getting a lightweight TT. Is it allright to just leave the rig attached for a quick overnight at Wal-mart or will you damage the hitch? I will have stabelizers in the rear, should I put them down. I travel solo most of the time so unhitching is more of an issue.
As long as the site is relatively level, there is no problem leaving the trailer hitched up. The only reason to disconnect if the site is not level is to level the trailer. When we leave it hitched up, we will put down the rear stabilizers and the front jacks just enough to get a little lift. That will stabilize the trailer much more than leaving them up. Of course, this is at a campsite, not freeloading at Walmart.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for all the info. I actually have never camped at Wal-mart, always in a safe campground but do like the option. And I won't put the jacks down if I ever do. Great to know that I can leave the trailer hitched at my site if I don't need the van for sightseeing.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only time I would unhitch for an overnight is if the consist was so long that it blocked a drive and unhitching and parking the parts side by side would elminate that problem.... This will NOT happen at a wall mart.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I left mine hooked up all night often. I used my toung jack to take some of the weight off of my tow car.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Wal Mart parking is at the discretion of the manager. I've never heard anybody say anything about jacks or slides.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #9

Check your wiring system to insure you have a tow vehicle battery isolator. If you do you don't even need to unplug the wiring harness, if you don't you risk running down your tow vehicle battery if the house battery dies. The only time we unhook when traveling is when the site is too short to accommodate the length or too sloped.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #10

I camp solo and it's a pain to unhitch and re-hitch. Almost always I will stay connected. Since my trailer is connected to hookups at the campsite I will unplug the wiring harness so that the car battery is not overcharged. Other than that plug I stay hitched up. Also being at a campground I will lower the jacks too.

I do know how to connect and disconnect but I lack the strenght. I'm not getting any younger and I have feet, ankles, knee and back problems as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've never tried to hitch and unhitch solo but as of June, I'm going to have to learn. I read some tricks in the rv books, can't wait to try them. I thankfully still have the strength but since the overwhelming response is that I can leave her hitched, I won't have to do it as often.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #12

The only critical thing about being level is the refrigerator. Even that has improved; mfgrs. now say if the refrigerator is within 3 degrees of level (side-to-side) and 6 degrees of level (front-to-back) as you look at the frig door, it is level enough to operate normally. The rule of thumb is_ if you are comfortable living in the RV it is probably withing those limits.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
I've never tried to hitch and unhitch solo but as of June, I'm going to have to learn. I read some tricks in the rv books, can't wait to try them. I thankfully still have the strength but since the overwhelming response is that I can leave her hitched, I won't have to do it as often.

My spring bars are a killer for me. I need to work on my upper strenght so I can get them in easier. After a zillon drops I'm wore out. The guys at the dealership showed me what I could do next time so I will find out it helps or not.

Care to share from your book of tricks? I wouldn't mind knowing more since my manhunt isn't going so well.

If I am hitching up solo I will use a set of magnetic hitching sticks from CW and back up very slowly until one of the sticks falls. Cost about $18 if I remember correctly but was worth the price since I suck at backing up. I'm also using a different vehicle than mine when towing.

Everyone has their way of hitching up so I always let any helper know that I drop two links and hook on the third link with the spring bars. Last Friday my campsite helper hooked on the first link before correcting it. He also had the anti-swag bar too tight. We all have different methods so as long as you know what you need all should be ok.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I have stayed hitched overnight. Just remember to disconnect the electrical from your tow vehicle to the trailer. I don't put stabilizers down. I travel solo, as well. I like only having one thing to do in the morning before leaving-plugging in the electric and testing the lights, etc.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote