Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #15

RV's are a collection of compromises and eveyone's want's, needs, expectations and budget are different. I looked at buying a Mercedes based B/C 24' motorhome but chose the TT for the following reasons;

- the MH was over twice the price
- the HH was much smaller inside
- I already have a HD diesel pickup for work purposes
- the MH had limited tank size, storage and kitchen space.

....that said; for some missions a little MH would be ideal - especially trips that are as much about the journey as they are about the destination. I can see getting one when I retire and we have more time to travel around rather than just driving to a location 2-4 hours away and setting up camp for 3-4 days. For right now, the TT is the best choice for us.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #16

When we had a MH+toad, it was more comfortable on travel days. More relaxing drive, and easier tI drive longer distances without stopping. Now at age 70, we can’t drive as far, and have to stop more often. Having a 25ft TT gives us as much space as a 30ft MH, and camp set up and tear down is not much more time consuming than MH+toad. With our pickup, we can make excursions and take our bikes with us. Cost of maintaining and using a TT is far less than a MH. Fuel economy is almost double a gasser MH. No worries about a breakdown that could strand us. There’s a GMC or Chevy dealer repair shop on every corner.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #17

Have had a truck camper, Class C, and a Diesel Pusher. Now with my little 23’ trailer, and a very comfortable 1/2 ton truck, we are set, and have no desire to change, even after 5 years.

Can easily drop it at a campground, and be heading off to a hike, in less than 20 minutes. Full walk around bed, and plenty of storage.

A MH is nice on traveling days, but IMO that’s where it ends.

Most importantly on a TT is that you get a TV, that can comfortably tow your set up, and one that is still comfortable to take down rough roads to get to your fishing, or hiking spot.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #18

Only in that I am driveway challenged. I guess I could always take out the garage?
Old 09-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #19

I think if you plan on driving the Class B to camp next to lakes and plan on staying put while camping than it would be easier than a travel trailer. However, if you want to go anywhere outside of walking distance from your campsite, than a TT is the way to go. We've camped in a Class C MH and a TT. We prefer the truck and TT because it's so much easier to go somewhere than breaking down the MH and driving that, especially if rough roads are involved. Also, the TT is a lot more comfortable than the slideless small MH. However, I have friends that have a small MH and they love it to boondock on BLM land, but they never venture very far from their campsites. It will depend on your camping style.
Suru11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
If your goal is fishing - consider the gear you'll need to bring along. Where will you stow in a small classb? Having a separate tow vehicle will increase available storage space.

There there's cost of ownership to consider. Insurance and maintenance on any motorhome will be higher than a travel trailer.

Wash your hands, flatten the curve - we can do this!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #21

We have had our TT all over the United States. Never a problem. Tires and wheel bearings are about the only things that will prevent you from going down the road.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
I'm still on the fence between a TT and a small class B+
If I knew I would like full-time rving I would most likely get a TT, especially if I was boondocking and worried I'd loose my spot if I drove the TV somewhere.

On the other hand if I don't end up full-time I would most likely buy a small class B+ like the cross trek 21XG and take it on far away fishing trips where I could park it by the river. The thing I see negative about a TT is the length when you leave the TV attached. It's 40 plus feet long. That's hard to find side of the road parking.
You really need a camp site.

Do you folks regret not having a MH? In case anyone is interested, my choice of TT would be the Grand Design 17mke.

Please pardon my ignorance. I'm getting rdy to retire and would like to not make a mistake on my 1st purchase. My hope is that I go the full-time route and fish across the states while looking for a new place to live that's got good fishing and cheap living.

Otherwise I may stay here in Oregon after selling my home and rent a house and fish / RV locally.

If you are a hardcore angler who wants to devote a lot of time to your passion, then another potential benefit of the class B is you can tow a light tin boat. We have a TT. I won't say I regret having it just because I can't tow the boat. Instead I would say it just opened up some new fishing horizons for me.

I also understand your concern about parking the TT Package alongside your favorite stream. We have a relatively small TT. Our TT + Truck is 45'. Of course it won't be a problem if the TT is left at a nearby campground.

BTW, I got a limit of rainbows this morning ()
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Travel trailer or RV

Quote:
If I knew I would like full-time rving I would most likely get a TT, especially if I was boondocking and worried I'd loose my spot if I drove the TV somewhere.

On the other hand if I don't end up full-time I would most likely buy a small class B+ like the cross trek 21XG and take it on far away fishing trips where I could park it by the river. The thing I see negative about a TT is the length when you leave the TV attached. It's 40 plus feet long. That's hard to find side of the road parking.

Do you folks regret not having a MH? In case anyone is interested, my choice of TT would be the Grand Design 17mke.

Please pardon my ignorance. I'm getting rdy to retire and would like to not make a mistake on my 1st purchase. My hope is that I go the full-time route and fish across the states while looking for a new place to live that's got good fishing and cheap living.

Otherwise I may stay here in Oregon after selling my home and rent a house and fish / RV locally.

I would go with the RV over a travel trailer. For one thing the travel trailer will not have a generator needed for boon docking. It will also have limited grey and blackwater tanks as well as a smaller fresh water tank. You will not have the storage bins like the RV will have either. I have owned TT as well as class A and class B RVs. I've been camping for over 50 years in various things from a Pinto wagon to a 40 foot RV and I would never go back to anything other than a self contained RV.
peskyfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #24

Hi I am new to the forum but not to camping. I have been camping full time since November 2015. I am a single woman with her dog and still work full time. Although being a full time camper has it's challenges I wouldn't trade it for the world. I started in an 8 man tent then on to a pop up camper to a 20 ft bunkhouse and I am now the new owner of a 1996 Ford Fleetwood Bounder. I was blessed with this and am learning that it's a whole different ball of wax but still I am not shaken. Living this lifestyle is an amazing thing. You meet so many different kinds of ppl and the possibilities are endless. I am now working to make my motorhome totally off grid which won't take much some solar panels should do it. I love this life through the rough and tough to the beautiful adventures. I look forward to sharing my journey here... With that being said do what feels right for you and remember you can always trade up and/or sell.
Curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #25

We have owned a 24’ Class C and different TT’s over the years.
For sheer convenience, the C was best. Pull into a rest area on a dark and gloomy night? Just turn around and there is the kitchen and bathroom. Drive to the grocery store? Easy to find parking. Forest Service campground with small spaces? Not a problem.

With that said, we currently have a 25’ TT and it works well for our current, occasional-use, needs. Less insurance cost, less maintenance, lower annual registration fee.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #26

For us, a travel trailer is ideal... We can go wherever we want, stop and/or stay if we want, disconnect and do some shopping, exploring, day trips, hiking without packing the whole rig with us... I've had a few tents and tent trailers, did some trips and camping with a class "c", but always found a travel trailer allowed us the most flexibility, with low cost and maintenance. If not sure, you can go with a smaller used TT to get your feet wet, or rent/borrow one. Check your vehicle towing limitations before you decide on size/weight.
Attached Images

CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #27

Not certain what you are saying is applicable?

Quote:

I'm not certain if you are expecting to tow a car behind a TT? Not many states allow it and not many TT's come with a frame/bumper that will withstand it. I could be wrong but I'll assume I'm correct generally.

There are many TT's that can be pulled by a V6 and or a small PU with a smaller V8 and for certain every half ton will tow them. And if you only need a TT that is equal is space to a class B or B+ then you can find thousands of TTs that will fit your bill.

So enlighten me as to what your set up looks like when you hit the road with a vehicle to tow the TT and what I suspect is a TOAD?

What state do you live in, Oregon?

States that don’t permit triple towing include: Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Those that do, require you to stay within the main towing vehicle capacity. You can find it on the door jamb and or in the owners manual. Plus maximum speed is usually 60 to 65. Some also limit what is towed. The third unit also has to have brakes of it's own that are actually connected to the primary tow vehicle braking system as is the TT's brakes are required to be connected to the main towing vehicles braking system. They know the mistakes that lots of corner cutters make trying to save a buck. Do it wrong, cause a wreck, kill a person and your life will change for the worse for the rest of your life.

A TT is a great way to go since they have room for storage. You must have a capable towing vehicle since you are trying to triple tow which was really started for boats and small ATV trailers, not a drivable vehicle. But that's my understanding.

A class B is more a day coach. It's far too cramped for me. I like the bigger bathrooms, not showering where my commode is and not using a commode in the shower stall. But that's me.

Do what's best for you but don't put yourself and absolutely never put the public at risk with your vehicles.

Yearly costs for a TT are under $500 for full coverage.
Yearly costs for a Class B or B+ would be $2500.
Insurance, maintenance, registration, licensing, etc.
TT's don't have these exorbitant costs.

Wish you the best and the safest trips.

Doc
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #28

I forgot to add in my previous response to this thread.

I have a gen-set that I use regularly at rest stops, truck stops, parks with no utilities.
It's a remote start generator that will run my whole TT as long as I don't overload it with the microwave and AT at the same time. I've learned to turn the AC off while heating up a cup of coffee which is all I ever use the darn thing for. I ought to take it out and put in an Air Fryer Grill I have seen on TV.

Doc
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, trailer, travel, travel trailer