Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Does this look right to you?

I just bought a brand new 2017 Coachmen Apex Nano 288BHS from a dealer. I didn't think much about looking under the trailer and checking the condition of the undercarriage because I just assumed that because it was brand new, there wouldn't be any problems. Well, when doing the walk through, I noticed some bolts around the wheels looked rusted. I have to admit I didn't think much of it at first and didn't bring it up. I got the travel trailer home and really got a good look at the bolts around the wheels and for some reason, I just don't think there should be that much rust on the bolts of a brand new trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3340.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	146294

First of all, can someone tell me exactly what this part is called? The closest I can find is leaf spring shackle and its the bolts that are rusted. Second, is this normal? Especially for a brand new trailer. Nothing else on the trailer looks rusted but these bolts. Everything on the trailer looks new and in good shape but all the bolts on this part and on the other leaf spring attachments look like what's in the picture.

I'm worried that this may be flood damage. The rest of the trailer is in new condition. Nothing else looks damaged or rusted. Also, any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Should I take the trailer back to the dealership? What should I do?
TwillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

There is a picture here with the name of all the parts.
Steve & C. J.'s Web Site

If there is rust on other bolts I would question if area with the rust was under water at some point.

Read up on your axles, specifically lubrication. You might consider using Rustolium - depending upon how it looks.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was it towed from factory to dealer in the winter where salt is applied on the roads?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

The center triangle part is the 'equalizer'
The flat bars are the 'shackles' that attach the leaf springs to the equalizers

The 'bolts' are all rusted up because they are cheap OEM mild steel bolts

NO.....
They should not already be rusted up

You could take it back to dealer, argue with them and have new bolts installed.......which will still be cheap mild steel
Besides the OEM bushing used inside the 'eye' of the springs are plastic and aren;t worth keeping

Bite the bullet.....
Take it to a trailer shop (not dealer, not CW) and have a 'Wet Bolt' Kit installed
Plastic bushing replaced with bronze
Cheap bolts replaced with high quality bolts that have zerk fittings and grease channels

About $80 for double axle kit-----if mechanical DIY

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Wet+Bolt+Kit
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like surface rust. Which is not serious... But I won't argue with those who feel it should be discussed with the dealer.

NOTE: there are assorted rust stop products on the market now days.. one comes in a pint can from a NAPA store or other auto parts store, made, as I recall by Locktite.. I have a can (unopened) I plan on using soon on my towed.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

When I bought my Voltage mine looked the same way. As most all RV trailers & 5th wheel are built in Indiana and towed to the selling dealer it's expected. etrailer wet bolt kit will fix the problem.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #7

I would go to the dealer and get new bolts. Then, coat them with something.

I bought a brand new steel horse trailer once. Mostly sat at my house for 5 years. It rusted thru. The support beams for the wood plank floors were rusted through. I don't trust any rust to be benign anymore.
seminolewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

along the same lines

my electrical receptacle on the back of my Outback was installed with

cheap screws that rusted, i'll change them to stainless. Stainless would not have

cost that much more.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

This is surface rust and you can find this under a lot of new cars and trucks. If it was towed from the factory in salt only speeds up the process. After a year of sitting around it would look almost the same as how it looks now.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I wouldn't bother the dealer with this it's nothing in my opinion. It will just set the tone for your relationship when you bring it in for something worthwhile in the future and that's what they will remember you by.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Looks like surface rust. Which is not serious... But I won't argue with those who feel it should be discussed with the dealer.

NOTE: there are assorted rust stop products on the market now days.. one comes in a pint can from a NAPA store or other auto parts store, made, as I recall by Locktite.. I have a can (unopened) I plan on using soon on my towed.
I use a bunch of NAPA's rust converter here on the farm. I also did the truck frame etc. after I sand blasted it. Brush it on let it dry, it turns a dark purplish/black, that is now a primer. I go nuts and put an epoxy primer over that. Then you can put your choice of top coat on and you're good to go. I use Eastwood products also.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #12

Normal for the cheap junk used to build trailers. Spray Fluid Film on the suspension parts, just keep it out of the brakes. Reapply annually.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #13

Wire brush them. Spray some good spray paint on.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Normal for the cheap junk used to build trailers. Spray Fluid Film on the suspension parts, just keep it out of the brakes. Reapply annually.
Are used fluid film last year as a test before I rebuilt my truck. I noticed that after several months it had pretty well washed off in the winter. So I had to reapply it. Any of my equipment that sits static it was fine it was only under the duress of constant spray that it washed off.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote