Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator Noise

TT Refrigerator is running well and cooling well, but for the first time today I hear the fan running. Is this normal? Never heard it before and never heard the one in the old TT either. Just curious. It's not loud just surprised to hear it. Has been running for about 72 hours. Any feedback appreciated.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Fridge in a slide out???

If so....needs fan(s) to provide adequate air flow due to lack of natural draft with a roof vent.

Typically thermostat controlled.....t-stat attached to far right fin on condenser.
Closes at 130*F fin temp and Opens at 115*F fin temp.

Hot ambient air temps it should be running....but should turn off at night when air temps cool down.

Running continuously for 72 hours.......????
Either really hot./staying hot or t-stat has failed in closed position (power to fan ON continuously)

T-stat can be accessed via UPPER sidewall Vent IF fridge is on a slideout
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #3

yup

following - same boat
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #4

Thanks Old-Biscuit. Excellent explanation, yes it is in a slide out and it stopped after a while. Don't think it was running the whole time as I didn't remember it making that noise when I turned it on. Air temp was about 90 and humidity was up there so makes perfect sense. I never thought about the fact it was in a slide making that difference and realize now why I don't have a roof vent! Again, appreciate the feedback. Very helpful and the unit is working as designed.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Thanks Old-Biscuit. Excellent explanation, yes it is in a slide out and it stopped after a while. Don't think it was running the whole time as I didn't remember it making that noise when I turned it on. Air temp was about 90 and humidity was up there so makes perfect sense. I never thought about the fact it was in a slide making that difference and realize now why I don't have a roof vent! Again, appreciate the feedback. Very helpful and the unit is working as designed.
Normal operation to hear the fan kick in and out. Some folks have added or changed out the fan to a more quiet fan but to me hearing the fan lets me know the frig is working. Later RJD
acinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #6

i too was surprised when I heard my fan. The first time I heard it was 4 months after using the trailer...once temperatures outside reached the 90s I guess. my issue with my fan (and others too apparently) is that it is pointed right at the thermostat which causes the fan to cycle on and off constantly since the fan cools the thermometer...rinse and repeat. Maybe ill get around to fixing it this year...
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #7

Dometic Refrigerator Noise

Thing I find troubling from a design perspective that the fridge is relying on a fan. I am sure rv mfgrs are putting the best quality fans money can buy, but still a fan is a very weak link (moving part, dusty environment, high vibration, heat...). Not to mention when it gets drug down the road at 65mph. Seems to be the trend in new designs from most mfgrs. Will be interesting to see it play out.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl_keystone View Post
i too was surprised when I heard my fan. The first time I heard it was 4 months after using the trailer...once temperatures outside reached the 90s I guess. my issue with my fan (and others too apparently) is that it is pointed right at the thermostat which causes the fan to cycle on and off constantly since the fan cools the thermometer...rinse and repeat. Maybe ill get around to fixing it this year...
Fan should not be pointed at t-stat.
OEM fan is installed just above 'absorber tubing/ (large slant tubes) so as to PULL air in lower vent up thru absorber tubing and then BLOW upward across condenser fins. T-stat is attached to condenser fin and senses that temp not air temps.

Just how is YOUR fan/t-stat set up????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Thing I find troubling from a design perspective that the fridge is relying on a fan. I am sure rv mfgrs are putting the best quality fans money can buy, but still a fan is a very weak link (moving part, dusty environment, high vibration, heat...). Not to mention when it gets drug down the road at 65mph. Seems to be the trend in new designs from most mfgrs. Will be interesting to see it play out.
RV Fridge MFGs did NOT design RVs......RV MFGs did and came up with the fridge in slide out design. That lead to lack of a natural draft (chimney affect) because you can't have a roof vent in a slideout.
Fan(s) needed to improve airflow due to side wall venting in slideouts.
Fan(s) are RV Fridge MFGs response to RV MFGs 'better ideas'---fridge in slideouts.

Don't blame the Fridge MFGs-------look to the RV MFGs and to add insult to injury RV MFGs don't follow the 'installation requirements' provided by Fridge Mfgs. Then fridge doesn't perform and Fridge MFGs get blamed
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, noise, refrigerator