Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
agh

Dometic rv microwave

I have a Premier Hyline travel trailer, and I have a problem with my microwave. Its a dometic rv microwave, all the controls work but it does not heat the food. can anyone help?.
agh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

We had a microwave problem, When we put the food in and turned it on, it would shut off and all of the lights in the microwave went out. I tested the 110 socket it was plugged into, and had voltage. We eventually replaced the oven with one we purchased at target. I had to do some cosmetic surgery to get it in but all in all it turned out to be a good project..
Old 11-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Microwaves, at least the cooking circuit, tend to be very simple devices.

You have a transformer (very high voltage output) A Diode, a Capicator and a Tube (Magnatron if I've spelled it properly).

Odds are it's the diode

But it might be the device that turns the transformer on and off.

Open the door, check the nameplate on the microwave itself, Mine says LG and frankly.. I would not bother fixing an LG

There is one and only one thing "Special" about mine (Well technically 2).. The one, is what LG would call an "After market modification" Some sheet metal, screwed to the case over the hot air exhauxt port to direct the high mositure hot air to where it needs to go (In my case out the front of the mounting trim) This can be added to any Microwave (Heating and cooling shops do that kind of metal work)

The "technical" special is the Dometic paint job (Different insert in the door says Dometic instead of Lousy Goods, er, LG.)

Cheapest option if you are NOT an electronics technician (I am) is to replace it, they are not worth the cost of repair, epically this Friday. Just get one teh same size and if you are lucky the same ductwork will work, if not have a heating shop bend a bit of sheet for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

I replaced 1 in another camper with a off shelf unit of same size. Mounting plates usually come off to be screwed to your new unit. I would not bother with extended warranty as they are not specially rated for a RV. Really a disposable appliance today.. Be careful not to get too high of wattage spec for camper. The rotary dial 650 watt unit at Wally World was used by me in the side door of a service truck for 5 years- that was 1 abused microwave in an Aerial Lift truck. If it will stand up to that use, a RV is nothing!

Tags
dometic