Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #1

Don’t be afraid to travel to buy a quality unit

We purchased on May 6th and have pulled the Outdoors RV 24RLS 3300 miles and stayed in it 12 nights and love it. It is by far the best camper I’ve ever owned. And, I’ve owned Airstreams, Avions and many other brands. I live 2 hours from Elkhart, drove through there on my way to Everett WA to buy quality.

No one likes to hear how bad the construction on Indiana made rv’s is, but after taking my Livin Lite 21RBS to Shipshewana, Indiana to have warranty work done I was shocked. The Thor tech (Thor had just purchased Livin Lite) walked me around the building to show me the crappy construction techniques used in every brand of camper. His words were “never get rid of your older Livin Lite”. I would have kept it but we needed a little more room. Oh, by the way, Thor killed the all aluminum Livin Lite brand. “TO EXPENSIVE TO BUILD”. Bought them out and shut them down. Go on youtube and look for videos on how the camper you want to buy is built. Ask to walk through the factory where they build the camper you want. There are no videos and no factory tours in Indiana. I wonder why this is. Look at Outdoors Rv, Arctic Fox, Nash and Lance. All 4 of these brands have videos and tours. They are proud of their construction. They want you to know how they are built. I was not afraid to drive 4600 miles round trip to buy my ORV, or to spend a little more money on a quality unit. The factories in Indiana build a boat load of units everyday knowing most people dont even look into how rv’s are made. I may have an issue with my new camper, if I can’t fix it I’ll find a tech to do the work and ORV will foot the bill. No RV is perfect but do yourself a favor and look into the construction of the brand you want to buy.

T4
T4halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Couldn't have said it any better!!! Enjoy, and do remember that the little problems don't make the whole trailer!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We didn’t travel quite as far, only 1000 miles to Oregon for our used ORV 20 FQ. We love it.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

I forgot to mention the fiberglass eggs. All are quality. Bigfoot, Escape, Casita & Oliver. These things seem to last forever if taken care of.

T4
Old 05-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #5

Good points. We looked at a lot of brands that all seemed to have the same construction "quality" and stepping inside a Nash and Arctic Fox for the first time was an eye opener. Much better construction and solid as a rock.

We bought the Nash new in 2016 and haven't had a single problem with it since the day we got it.

We love the thing but I'm retiring June 16th and we want to go on multi month trips so we're looking at class A's now and I'm afraid I've been a little spoiled by Northwood's fine product and I think I'm a little overly critical of the build quality of some of the coaches we've looked at.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:39 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We spent over a year researching our last TT purchase. As a result, we drove 6,000 miles roundtrip to buy our Outdoors RV trailer, sight unseen. Outdoors RV Manufacturing and its sister company, Northwood Manufacturing (builders of Arctic Fox and Nash, mentioned above) are based in La Grande, Oregon. They build quality units for outdoor enthusiasts and stand behind their products. Those were two critical factors we couldn't ignore. Our trailer was not without issues, but the dealer and, more importantly, the manufacturer were quick to set things right, and the factory has continued to be a source of ongoing customer support and information. If or when it comes time to replace this trailer, we'll make the trip again for another ORV.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #7

Bought out Artic Fox 22G at the nearest dealer to us about 90 minutes away in Colfax, CA. We went to the dealer twice. The first time to look at the trailer and the 2nd time to pick it up and take it home. We have owned it for 26 months and it not had any issues requiring warranty work.

I considered the BigFoot series but they were hard to find and another $20000+ above what we paid for the Artic Fox. Considered Outdoor RV but liked our floor plan better. Considered Lance when I was considering towing with a half ton truck. I didn't like the Lance front window and preferred not to have a slide. Once I figured out that I needed the 3/4 ton for payload capacity we decided on the Artic Fox 22G. Well insulated, decent tanks and no slides. It's perfect for the two of us.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #8

Even though I agree with this thread, but all TT’s are built to meet a certain price point.

Many can not afford the units listed here. Plus many of these are hard to find used.

So good upper mid tier manufacturers are Winnebago, Flagstaff/Rockwood, Grand Design.

If your budget is even lower than opt for one with less structural amenities. Like never buy a cheaper unit with a large slide. Keep it simple in design, and amenities. Less things to go wrong is beneficial when buying a cheaper unit.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #9

We looked at the Winnebago and liked a lot of things about the unit minus the frame, suspension, tank capacities and overall interior quality. The price between the ORV and Winnie made the decision very easy for us. The ORV was NOT that much more than the comparable equipped Winnebago. The Winnebago tries to say they are 4 season capable, must be talking about winters in Arizona and Florida. They are not upper midwest 4 season capable. We had a couple warm days last weekend. I turned on the Maxxair fans, opened up the windows and enjoyed the rig staying cool all day. Never ran the A/C. The weekend before last we had temps at night in the 30’s, the heat kicked on only a few times all night long. Folks need to watch the ORV, Arctic Fox, Nash and Lance build videos. HUGE difference when compared to Indiana brands.

Used quality rigs are very hard to find and hold their value quite well. People have a hard time selling these units unless they decide to buy something larger. Many replace with the same brand. These companies have a lot of repeat customers for a reason.

T4
Old 05-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	287306

Here was my solution to the Lance front window. It’s padded and not only protects, but helps insulate from the sun, and keeps the window clean while traveling. Thankful it’s there especially traveling down rock roads.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #11

TTs by-and-large are built with cost and weight considerations. Weight is often the most important factor. While I have never owned a TT, I have friends that bought brand new ones. I was shocked at how flimsy the interiors are. Everything is made out of fiberboard, the table was so wobbly you had to be really careful eating at it. On the other hand, my DS is well-built and all interior wood is solid wood not fiberboard. The TTs I'm referring to are not Airstream or high end but of the type that FEMA would buy for emergency housing.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #12

Dennis Dillon is a high volume dealer here in Boise. The Winnebago runs easily 15k less than a similar sized ORV.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #13

I didnt know you could get a fully loaded 29’ Winnebago with 3 Maxxair fans, 16” rims, Heated tanks, slide awning, 30lb propane tanks and off road suspension for $18k and change? Sounds like a decent deal if you can.

T4
Old 05-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4halo1 View Post
I didnt know you could get a fully loaded 29’ Winnebago with 3 Maxxair fans, 16” rims, Heated tanks, slide awning, 30lb propane tanks and off road suspension for $18k and change? Sounds like a decent deal if you can.

T4

I think you missed my point. I know both trailers very well. Was talking price points as to fill customers wants and needs. Some care more about price than an off road suspension. Mentioned both Winnebago, and Rockwood/Flagstaff as other pretty decent options. There is actually some aspects of the Rockwood that are constructed better than ORV.

Tags
quality, travel