Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Back in ~1999 I was unemployed and saw an ad for a salesman at a RV store close to us so I went to apply. Talked to he sales manager, explaining that with my engineering degree I could help customers size a RV to the vehicle they have. The sales manager replied "not our job to make sure they can safely pull an RV, we just sell them" I got up an left. Now I understand how this can happen.

Usually traveling south on 75 coming through the mountains we will see a trailer and TV wrecked, they loose it while coming down the mountain. Once a big trailer starts to sway back and forth the driver looses it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #16

I must have had that same interview. I claimed that my mechanic's background would help sell cars because I could discuss the technical details. I was told that the technical details were color and monthly payments. Anything else I needed to call my manager. This was a Chevy dealership. The only guy with a technical reference on the sales staff was the fleet truck salesman. The rest of us had little cutout books to show what a buckskin Landau top on a blue Caprice would look like.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #17

The wheels are missing from the trailer, yet it is sunny side up and so is the Exploder.

Maybe the axles came loose, fell off and he lost control? Or he lost control from speeding and the wheels came off? Maybe the tongue weight was too light? I'd love to hear what happened.

But yeah, weight police heaven right here. Should have bought an HDT
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #18

Wonder if he had a salesman that said it will be fine? Some people are just clueless and go with the advice (they hope) of a professional. The vehicle looks like a Ford Expedition. It’s not always the blame of the driver. One should know the capabilities of their vehicles. Just saying.
popamurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by popamurphy View Post
Wonder if he had a salesman that said it will be fine? Some people are just clueless and go with the advice (they hope) of a professional. The vehicle looks like a Ford Expedition. It’s not always the blame of the driver. One should know the capabilities of their vehicles. Just saying.
What about the child who was unbelted? That was the driver's fault and it's human life that's the most important thing, not a trailer or vehicle!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Looks like a classic case of the tail waggin the dog.
Unfortunately this is becoming all too commonplace.
Friends of ours are towing a 4,400lb (dry weight) TT with a new Toyota 4Runner. Max towing capacity 5k. Hours of discussion we had before he purchased them. I suggested he use his old Chevy Silverado 1500. "Well the Toyota salesman said it'll be fine", plus the 4Runner will be much more comfortable. I guess his definition of comfortable and mine are miles apart. Needless to say we won't be caravaning together....
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Guys, i'm sure it's not this guy, but we had a guy ask about towing a 30' TT with his Ford Explorer just 10 days or so ago. We all told him NO! But his last post in the thread he said he appreciated the warnings but felt he could handle it fine and he was going ahead anyway.

THAT is how these things happen.

Dealers certainly play a role in the issue, but some folks even when faced with the facts are too pigheaded and stubborn to pay attention.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #22

Isaac. Thanks for the video. It shows just how fast things can happen and how STUPID some drivers are out there. It also pumped me up again to install a Train Horn, on my MH and my pickup. I just gotta have one.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #23

These 30’ plus TT’s are about silliest looking RV’s going down the road.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
It will pull it just fine, says the salesman.

Actually had a sales "person" tell me I could tow a Montana 5er behind my 1500 Hemi truck. I knew better, luckily.

Not all of the customers will.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #25

Too short of vehicle for that long of trailer, without being there to watch what actually happened, could have been anything, including something that even a big truck couldn't handle. Looks like the front wheel is broke off the tow vehicle, that alone could cause big problems even with a bigger vehicle, it could have been broken off during the crash, or broken to cause the crash. Since the axles are gone under the trailer, they could have been sheered by the sway, or the frame could have been eaten up by the midwest steel termites, and just fell apart.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Actually had a sales "person" tell me I could tow a Montana 5er behind my 1500 Hemi truck. I knew better, luckily.

Not all of the customers will.
sounds exactly what they told my step dad. and to be able to pull a 30' TT because it had a hemi lol, then a huge boat with a 1500 then 2500. if you can picture Barney Fifhe that is him. lol told him on both occasions that the truck would not work. the sad thing is he tried from GA to OK and was on the road going 55 mph and white knuckles
not going to mention the scrapes, almost sideswiping stuff along the way
Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Safeway parking lot today. A large cab over camper, longer than the down tailgate on an F150. You could go squirrel hunting with the headlights.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Safeway parking lot today. A large cab over camper, longer than the down tailgate on an F150. You could go squirrel hunting with the headlights.
speaking of which, there are so many people that need to readjust their headlights for the load. I am tired of getting blinded at night. I am sure the truckers feel the same way