Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #1

Don't have a TT but want one

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a good place to really grow my investments and I heard that a travel trailer is a good way to make huge returns. JK.

I have been looking through the threads from people who were looking and all the advice you gave on helping them choose a TT. I have some questions that are paticular to my case. First some details:
I have a 2015 Highlander with the towing package that puts my max towing at 5000lbs. I want a TT that is 3500 at the most. I know I will have to get a Weight Distribution Hitch for it. What are your recommendations? Anyone cringing?

I am handy at making/repairing most things non electrical

I am looking for the TT that has the two bunks in it.

What are your thoughts on the side vs. roof mount AC units?

I have heard everyone say do your diligence on inspecting but being new I don't know what that means. Is there a thread with a detailed checklist that someone could refer me to?

I live in Texas and want to experience different kind of camping (state Parks, RV parks, boondocking). I have a wife and a boy who is 12 and daughter who is 15. If you were going to plan a trip what would you suggest?

Is there anyway we could take 4 bikes along? What are your recommendations? Bike rack on back of TT or chuck em inside the TT?

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond.
Newbie texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My only suggestion is to get out there and go in some TT's. Some of the texas dealers are finding ways to keep social distancing and still be open. Be ready to pull the trigger and camp as soon as this corona passes. I wish I could go back and get an RV before my kids were grown. We have grandkids now and they love travelling in the MH.

good luck
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie texas View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a good place to really grow my investments and I heard that a travel trailer is a good way to make huge returns. JK.

I have been looking through the threads from people who were looking and all the advice you gave on helping them choose a TT. I have some questions that are paticular to my case. First some details:
I have a 2015 Highlander with the towing package that puts my max towing at 5000lbs. I want a TT that is 3500 at the most. I know I will have to get a Weight Distribution Hitch for it. What are your recommendations? Anyone cringing?

I am handy at making/repairing most things non electrical

I am looking for the TT that has the two bunks in it.

What are your thoughts on the side vs. roof mount AC units?

I have heard everyone say do your diligence on inspecting but being new I don't know what that means. Is there a thread with a detailed checklist that someone could refer me to?

I live in Texas and want to experience different kind of camping (state Parks, RV parks, boondocking). I have a wife and a boy who is 12 and daughter who is 15. If you were going to plan a trip what would you suggest?

Is there anyway we could take 4 bikes along? What are your recommendations? Bike rack on back of TT or chuck em inside the TT?

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond.

Yes the only way to really know is get out and check them out ( might be bad timing?) for a smaller unit that you are looking for should be lots of choices, pay attention to counter space, storage space, fresh water storage, battery space, how the floor flexes under your weight, lean on a wall, does it feel like your going to go right through it? Your basically buying a house that will be getting towed behind you, so you kinda want it to last. What kind of camping will you be doing boondocking, full hook up? Many things to consider, took me a full year researching, walking through units, climbing under, being a pain in local rv dealers a$$
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

Thank you for the advice. Those are some good suggestions. I will look on the internet for a checklist of things to do when buying used. I appreciate the time.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #5

I have been in a few. Thank for replying. I really wanna go a lot this summer.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #6

With a dry weight of 3500 lbs I think you'll have a tough time finding one that light with bunks. Probably looking at a fiberglass model such as a Casita. Maybe a Starcraft 19BH. They have some that have bunks but boy do you lose storage space.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #7

Honestly, my wife drives a Highlander. No way on earth I would tow any type of TT with it. Maybe a popup but that's it.

Are you thinking only short distances?

Highlander towing is built for like tiny trailers with a couple pieces of furniture or a riding mower or some wood from Lowes, not a TT.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

I'm not sure where you think you will grow your investment in a TT? It depreciates just like any vehicle does, if not even more.

Or do you mean grow your investment in time spent with your family, as in spending more family time together?
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"I am looking for a good place to really grow my investments and I heard that a travel trailer is a good way to make huge returns."

Hmmm this is April Fool's day.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
"I am looking for a good place to really grow my investments and I heard that a travel trailer is a good way to make huge returns."

Hmmm this is April Fool's day.
Yes I think personality is coming through.I guess were supposed to be robots..
Old 04-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #11

Save your money.....buy a boat!......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Save your money.....buy a boat!......
Bring On Another Thousand...
Old 04-02-2020, 03:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Bring On Another Thousand...
I've owned several boats. I've always said, "Bust Out Another Thousand."
A hole in the water that you pour money into.

The only money that I can see being made on a TT or camper in general is where someone has to sell one in a hurry. I missed out on one in Gatlinburg, TN that had to be moved the next morning. It was a 5th wheel. It sold for less than half of what it was worth.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 AM   #14

I almost replied yesterday as I thought your post was an April Fools event when you mentioned a travel trailer as an investment along with what you want in a travel trailer weighing 3500 lbs. or less. I don't mean any disrespect, but I think you will start seeing that you need to modify your plan.

With a family of 4, the best you can do for 3500 lbs. is a popup trailer, most likely with two large bunk ends. That's how we started when our two sons were younger.

For an enclosed travel trailer or even a hybrid trailer, you will need a different tow vehicle. It would make sense to figure out first what trailer or camping unit you want. Then, based on the gross vehicle weight rating for that unit (GVWR) or the dry weight of the unit plus an allowance for extra equipment and personal gear, you can determine how much towing capacity you need. Then research what vehicles will provide that towing capacity.

Simple answer from my experience is that if you really want to travel/camp with two kids, carry bikes for four and gear for longer trips, get a 3/4 pickup truck, or possibly a 1/2 ton truck IF you stay with a smaller, very lightweight trailer and don't overload it with gear. Avoid getting lulled into buying a trailer that you find out is too heavy for your vehicle and you end up having to make corrections for a poor decision.

Personally, I believe in trying to keep the trailer and gear limit to be 80% or less of the tow capacity of the tow vehicle. I know that is being conservative, but I think it's safer and allows for a better towing experience if you are traveling in the mountains.

So, do a lot of research, look at a lot of trailers or other types of RVs and take your time figuring out what you want and what you need.

Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote