Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Door Keys

I received a PM from a fellow irv2 member asking info on my trailer door key which I provided.

Then I realized I only have one key so went on line and googled "FIC key" along with the letters/numbers on the key. To my surprise I got several hits that provides ready cut keys for my R-Vision trailer. A lot easier and cheaper than driving into town and having a locksmith cut two keys at $12 is what I paid for, delivered.

Thought I'd share this info in case anyone is needing extra keys made.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #2

There are generally only a few different keys that will open almost all RVs, convenient when you need a replacement, little scary when you realize that half the RV park can unlock your RV.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:20 AM   #3

I locked myself out of my trailer when I did not unlock it completely and when I was outside and shut it the lock activated and locked me out.

I go to the RV park office and tell them what happened. They said no problem and had a maintenance guy come with a key that unlocked my trailer.

I thought - yikes but was happy that my trailer was unlocked.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
There are generally only a few different keys that will open almost all RVs, convenient when you need a replacement, little scary when you realize that half the RV park can unlock your RV.
So what is everyone doing? if there are only few number of actual keys, with so many TT parked at a single location, seems could be easy pickings. Is theft really not the big of a problem? I can't say I know my neighbors by face when we RV camp. I couldn't tell if that was neighbors or burglar entering the next door unit.
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #5

So what is everyone doing?

Nothing.

Theft is not very common. In al the years I've been camping, starting in boy scouts in the late 70's, I've never had a single thing taken. I don't leave things out at night or when I go away and I usually don't take anything valuable on a trip.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #6

If you're worried about it, RV Locks make locks with keys that they'll guarantee no one else in your area will have one that'll fit....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Basically your fellow human being is more trust worthy than society would lead you to believe. At least in the RV / camping demographic.

It's a case of the few 'not so kind people' making it hard on everyone.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #8

I have never had anything taken at a campground in 35 years of camping, but got robbed blind in a Cracker Barrel parking lot three years ago in East St. Louis on the way back from a trip to Colorado.
Everything was locked up tight. They broke out a rear window on my Xterra, crawled in and got three cameras, a tripod, 2 laptops (both locked) , two cell phones (both locked) and a bag of gifts that the wife had bought for Christmas.

When the police arrived I asked that they go see if Cracker Barrel had any video cameras. The policeman laughed and said no, they do not. Turns out that the RV section of their parking lot is a common place for tourists to get robbed. He said they are called to come here 2-3 times a month. It really pissed me off. After talking to them I went in and asked to see the manager. I told him that is was a crying shame that 2-3 people a month get their lives turned upside down and Cracker Barrel ignores it and does nothing to help stop it. He just blamed corporate for it. When we returned home I wrote a letter to Cracker Barrel explaining what happened. I don't know what I expected, but I got a letter back from some corporate nobody that said they were sorry, but there was nothing they could do. They included a coupon for 10% off our next visit. That went in the trash, and we have never eaten at a Cracker Barrel again...
Koolerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolerman View Post
When the police arrived I asked that they go see if Cracker Barrel had any video cameras. The policeman laughed and said no, they do not. Turns out that the RV section of their parking lot is a common place for tourists to get robbed. He said they are called to come here 2-3 times a month. It really pissed me off. After talking to them I went in and asked to see the manager. I told him that is was a crying shame that 2-3 people a month get their lives turned upside down and Cracker Barrel ignores it and does nothing to help stop it. He just blamed corporate for it. When we returned home I wrote a letter to Cracker Barrel explaining what happened. I don't know what I expected, but I got a letter back from some corporate nobody that said they were sorry, but there was nothing they could do. They included a coupon for 10% off our next visit. That went in the trash, and we have never eaten at a Cracker Barrel again...
I'm not really sure why you would blame Cracker Barrel for this, but it probably explains why CB and Walmart are cracking down on people staying overnight on their parking areas. A good deed never goes unpunished.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:20 AM   #10
IC2

While still not 100%, the dead bolt lock is a bit more secure though master keys are available even for them. The locks that can invite even more theft are any that use the all too common CH751 keys which most storage compartments have: https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...s-ch751-locks/

Our water hatch has the last CH751 lock left on our 5er
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm not really sure why you would blame Cracker Barrel for this, but it probably explains why CB and Walmart are cracking down on people staying overnight on their parking areas. A good deed never goes unpunished.
True, Its not CB fault he was robbed. However a good business will take some effort towards reducing crime. Especially when it seems to happen often according to the officer. They cant stop crime, but could help to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
While still not 100%, the dead bolt lock is a bit more secure though master keys are available even for them. The locks that can invite even more theft are any that use the all too common CH751 keys which most storage compartments have: https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...s-ch751-locks/
This might be true in most cases, however when we were picking up our trailer, it had 2 diff keys, door lock, and dead bolt... I told the sales guy, they need to be the same key. I don't need another reason to get pissed off. The older i get, the more i practice "remove the frustration if possible" my lady likes that new attitude
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
As a practical matter those locks are useless anyway because they can typically be forced. The little finger aid might even make that easier. The material in the door simply isn't strong enough to keep the entire lock from being easily twisted, which unlocks the door.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #13

Why would someone want to break into a RV anyways? It's not like you would steal a microwave or an expensive stereo, besides, most campgrounds are generally busy and someone loading up a truck or trunk would probably be noticed. Sure, there may be some full timers that carry jewelry or something, but how would a thief know which one. The biggest issue with theft in a campground is coolers or something left outside exposed.
As camphost, I recently helped a camper get into his locked TT. All it took was screwdriver and a little prying to open a storage door that led into the inside.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #14

Why would someone want to break into a RV anyways?

I doubt there will ever be an end to that question. Drugs? Bad people? I worked with a guy that made great $$$, didn't drink or do drugs. Didn't NEED anything, but he was a habitual thief. After he got caught stealing a pile of laptops, we learned he had been fired from a lot of jabs for stealing, some jobs paid him even more than what he was getting when he was with us.

The best thing to do is don't make it convenient and quick for someone. Park where someone can't hide and take their time getting in. Don't leave things sitting out in campsites when it's unattended or its dark. Get good insurance and make sure your covered well.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door