Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
While still not 100%, the dead bolt lock is a bit more secure though master keys are available even for them. The locks that can invite even more theft are any that use the all too common CH751 keys which most storage compartments have: https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...s-ch751-locks/

Our water hatch has the last CH751 lock left on our 5er
Yes, and don't forget, even if you replace your door deadbolt, if you have pass through storage that goes under your bed... all one needs is that very common CH571 key to get inside by crawling into the storage and lifting up your bed from below. So you would need to replace those locks too.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
While still not 100%, the dead bolt lock is a bit more secure though master keys are available even for them. The locks that can invite even more theft are any that use the all too common CH751 keys which most storage compartments have: https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...s-ch751-locks/

Our water hatch has the last CH751 lock left on our 5er
I was a service manager for fifteen years. I never saw a master key for a deadbolt in all that time. All the lock makers I talked to (at the dealer shows) said there was never a master key for a deadbolt. The locks were purposely made with a common key so the dealers would not Have to carry two hundred keys to lock and unlock all the RVs at night. The deadbolt was different so a sold coach could be locked and you would have to go to the office and get the keys for that unit to access it.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Why would someone want to break into a RV anyways?

I doubt there will ever be an end to that question. Drugs? Bad people? I worked with a guy that made great $$$, didn't drink or do drugs. Didn't NEED anything, but he was a habitual thief. After he got caught stealing a pile of laptops, we learned he had been fired from a lot of jabs for stealing, some jobs paid him even more than what he was getting when he was with us.

The best thing to do is don't make it convenient and quick for someone. Park where someone can't hide and take their time getting in. Don't leave things sitting out in campsites when it's unattended or its dark. Get good insurance and make sure your covered well.

That was my point, of what value is RV stuff? Who is going to pawn off RV blinds or a RV removed microwave oven? Generally a house can be ransacked and items to be resold can be stolen. What is kept in a RV, a second hand toaster or a mismatched silverware set?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That was my point, of what value is RV stuff? Who is going to pawn off RV blinds or a RV removed microwave oven? Generally a house can be ransacked and items to be resold can be stolen. What is kept in a RV, a second hand toaster or a mismatched silverware set?
Let's see... computers, expensive cameras, drones and other electronics, wallets/money, jewelery, keys to the truck used to pull the trailer...

Poeple don't break into houses to steel the blinds or microwave either, it's the stuff that people keep in it that are the target.

Fortunately the RV community is generally pretty good and theft isn't a big problem.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Why would someone want to break into a RV anyways?

The best thing to do is don't make it convenient and quick for someone. Park where someone can't hide and take their time getting in. Don't leave things sitting out in campsites when it's unattended or its dark. Get good insurance and make sure your covered well.
becaue they can. why do some crack heads do what they do??? inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Yes, and don't forget, even if you replace your door deadbolt, if you have pass through storage that goes under your bed... all one needs is that very common CH571 key to get inside by crawling into the storage and lifting up your bed from below. So you would need to replace those locks too.
Is this typical of some trailers? Ours if I open the compartment doors, I cannot get into the bed storage. There is a frame with paneling in there. 1st layer of insulation against the bedroom area. If you life the bed, you cannot get into the compartment w/o punching a hole in the wall.

Quote:
Let's see... computers, expensive cameras, drones and other electronics, wallets/money, jeweler, keys to the truck used to pull the trailer...

People don't break into houses to steel the blinds or microwave either, it's the stuff that people keep in it that are the target.

Fortunately the RV community is generally pretty good and theft isn't a big problem.
Yes I would think its small percentage of thefts.
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #20

In 8+ years of camphosting all over the US, I have not heard of a RV being broken into yet in a cg. Only once was a cooler reported missing and a few other things that ended up just being misplaced.
That said, it is easy to gain entrance into a RV, BTDT many times to help out locked out campers.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post

Is this typical of some trailers? Ours if I open the compartment doors, I cannot get into the bed storage. There is a frame with paneling in there. 1st layer of insulation against the bedroom area. If you life the bed, you cannot get into the compartment w/o punching a hole in the wall.
Lot of travel trailers with front bedrooms, the through storage is under the bed, and you can lift up the bed to access the through storage.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Lot of travel trailers with front bedrooms, the through storage is under the bed, and you can lift up the bed to access the through storage.
Mine you can't, but I suspect I could push up on either of the two table tops next to the bed and get interior access. It would be a tight squeeze.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #23

Well I received the door key yesterday and wouldn't you know it...didtn't work.
It was an error on my part because the last digit on the key appeared to be a (6). So it had to be an (8). I emailed the ebay seller and he instructed me to send the (2) keys back and he'd mail replacement keys. And to be sure he asked for a picture of my key to verify the cut is correct.

Great ebay seller!

BTW my key works on both door and deadbolt.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
BTW my key works on both door and deadbolt.
My understanding is the door handle lock will take two keys, the one you have that works in the deadbolt too, and a 'universal/dealer' key RV dealerships have to use on the lot. Suposidly the universal key won't work in the deadbolt.

However, as mentioned before, there aren't many different deadbolt keys either.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #25

I ordered extra keys form here. My door and compartment locks use the same key.

They also have replacement locks. You can order a lock for your compartments to match your door key.
RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I ordered extra keys form here. My door and compartment locks use the same key.

They also have replacement locks. You can order a lock for your compartments to match your door key.
RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys
Thanks, I'll check that out. I found getting replacement keys cut was hit and miss.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #27

yes thanks glwinger for the link. lots of good stuff there.
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #28

Changed locks

My response to the same key issue was to replace all the compartment locks (3) with barrel type locks. They are nearly impossible to force/jimmy and are harder to drill out. Also adjusted the movement in the doors to make it harder to get a pry bar in the gap, and removed the finger pulls as the key works to pull open the door.

As for the door I replaced that lock with an electric lock with number pad, fob and door key. We keep one of each in our TV (which has a safe) and on 2 rings to be carried if needed. But with the number pad it is so nice not to have to mess with carrying keys for the RV.

The outside shower has was changed to a thumb latch.
LakelandBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door