Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Double tow 4 pin wiring

I'm having issues wiring up my 4 pin wiring from the ATV trailer. This will be towed behind my camper (it's legal here in Colorado BTW).

Initially I ran the wires to be plugged into the truck along with the campers 7 pin cable but the truck pin covers won't allow both to be used at the same time due to them not allowing both to open all the way.

Then plan B was to wire the 4 pin cable and tie it into my 7 pin cable. I connected the wires like this:

4 pin / 7 pin cables
yellow / yellow
brown / brown
green / green
White to ground

Also tried white to 7 pin white ground wire.

The camper lights work correctly. The issue I'm having is no running lights on ATV trailer. No left turn light. Right turn lights the left turn.

Am I missing something here? I figured this would of been pretty simple.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check your ground wireing.
You're probably aware that a lot of states prohibit towing double and they usually make you unhook and tow separately.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Check your ground wireing.
You're probably aware that a lot of states prohibit towing double and they usually make you unhook and tow separately.
I'll check it again. I've tried two locations with the same results.

I'll only double tow when elk hunting. This gets my ATV there too.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

I am not sure if this will help. But I do hope it does...Dusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470538638652.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	135124  
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I am not sure if this will help. But I do hope it does...Dusty
I appreciate it but I connected the 4 pin wires to the opposite end of the 7 wire plug. They are located under the trailer after removing a access panel.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Does the 4 pin ground need to be connected to the 7 pin ground or can I just ground it to the chassis?
Old 08-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #7

They sell a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter . Worked fine on my
Trailer .
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Initially I ran the wires to be plugged into the truck along with the campers 7 pin cable but the truck pin covers won't allow both to be used at the same time due to them not allowing both to open all the way.
I use the 7 pin for trailer and the 4 pin for a light bar on the back of the trailer, I just broke off the cover for the 4 pin, no more interference
Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

sorry . I just looked at your post again . I thought
When you said camper . It was a camper not a TT.
Can you tap into the wiring at the lights on the
Rear of the TT ? Or on the harness before it goes
Thru the floor .
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad95 View Post
sorry . I just looked at your post again . I thought
When you said camper . It was a camper not a TT.
Can you tap into the wiring at the lights on the
Rear of the TT ? Or on the harness before it goes
Thru the floor .
I'm not sure about the rear lights. My underbelly is sealed and I really don't want to remove it.

I connected the 4 pin wires to where the TT wiring for the lights begin. Something isn't allowing the lights to function correctly.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
I use the 7 pin for trailer and the 4 pin for a light bar on the back of the trailer, I just broke off the cover for the 4 pin, no more interference
Not really what I want to do in a new truck. Plus I'd worry about water getting in there when not being used.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #12

Abnmarine-

One thing I found is that the color code on 7-wire cables is not always per the "standard." You may want to apply a voltmeter to the camper end of the cable and map out which signal shows up where.

Second, I'm not sure I understand your wiring from the front of the camper to the rear. Did you run a new 4-wire cable?

Third, be aware that there may not be enough voltage at the end of your ATV trailer to brightly light the bulbs. This is because the wires are long and the bulbs can draw a lot of current. If this is the case, you may want to consider LED lights for the ATV trailer and perhaps also your camper. They use about one-tenth the current of the equivalent incandescent bulbs.

Fourth, and finally, poor grounds have a habit of making lights misbehave. Make sure you have ground wires to each bulb/LED, and that those wires are sufficiently-sized and continuous through your truck, camper and trailer. Do not rely on the frame of the camper or ATV trailer, or the hitch components, to carry any part of the grounds between the three vehicles.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Abnmarine-

One thing I found is that the color code on 7-wire cables is not always per the "standard." You may want to apply a voltmeter to the camper end of the cable and map out which signal shows up where.

I will check this tomorrow. Makes sense to me.

Second, I'm not sure I understand your wiring from the front of the camper to the rear. Did you run a new 4-wire cable?

I ran new 4 wire.

Third, be aware that there may not be enough voltage at the end of your ATV trailer to brightly light the bulbs. This is because the wires are long and the bulbs can draw a lot of current. If this is the case, you may want to consider LED lights for the ATV trailer and perhaps also your camper. They use about one-tenth the current of the equivalent incandescent bulbs.

That's what I'm leaning toward. Not enough voltage. However when I use the 4 way flashers, all of the ATV lights flash.

Fourth, and finally, poor grounds have a habit of making lights misbehave. Make sure you have ground wires to each bulb/LED, and that those wires are sufficiently-sized and continuous through your truck, camper and trailer. Do not rely on the frame of the camper or ATV trailer, or the hitch components, to carry any part of the grounds between the three vehicles.
My answers above.
I'm hoping not having to change the ATV lights to LED due to their cost.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
$100,000 rolling down the road but a couple led bulbs are too expensive?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, wiring