Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Legal in NM.. I pulled 2 ATV's and at times a boat behind a 25' Prowler TT.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #16

As a resident of Texas, a CDL holder and an RV'er, I have looked at every law I can find that would pertian to doubles with an RV and the only limitation I can find is that total length cannot exceed 65 feet. While I have had many "experts" tell me that you can only double behind a 5th wheel, none have ever been able to pony up any proof when challenged to do so. I see it done here all the time and have done it myself when I trailer the motorcycle along on camping trips.

Generally.... the constabulatory types will not bother RV'ers for a second unless you are doing something heinous, in some far left part of the country or get unlucky and run into some Barney Fife type that wants to nip you in the bud.

What I learned long ago is stoopidity can be your friend... When challenged, if you act dumb enough you can get away with anything!

I'd hook 'em up and go!

As far as CDLs go... no CDL is required on any vehicle regardless of size or weight provided it its registered as a "Recreational Vehicle". You can apply the same thing on the rumors of CDL being required for a vehicle with air brakes. There's no such thing as an air brake endorsement, but there is such a thing as an air brake restriction.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #17

KZ RV Club
My grandparents for years pulled a boat behind their popup behind their truck up to texhoma. after that my parents did the same with a tt instead of a popup all over Texas for years as I was growing up
NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Just wondering if this is legal and/or a good idea. We've got a 24ft total length TT and would like to tow our 14ft flat bottom to the local lake (19.5 miles). The total length will be 60.5 feet which I know is legal in TX. Just don't know if bumper pull and bumper pull is legal and seriously I've gotten no help from DPS DOT DMV or anything. Also boat and trailer maybe way 1000lbs with a hitch weight of maybe 150lbs. This is the hitch I was looking at Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 19100 Travel Trailer Bumper Mount Hitch 4 In Square Bumper: Automotive. The bumper of my TT is welded very well to the frame. Think there will be any problems? Also the route to the lake allows for very little traffic and speeds of around 40-45mph
Double towing bumper hitch trailers is NOT legal in Texas. A lot of folks do it and get away with it, but not legal. Towing a bumper pull behind a 5th wheel is legal in Texas as long as you do not exceed max. lenght.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #19

Rules of the Road
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPSDX View Post
Double towing bumper hitch trailers is NOT legal in Texas. A lot of folks do it and get away with it, but not legal.
Can you show that in black and white from the state of Texas? I've heard it many times and searched for it, but I find nothing that distinguishes anything about trailer types being pulled in an RV combination. The only stipulation I find is not exceed a total overall length of 65 feet.

I'm on the lookout for my local "blue patcher" right now to get some clarification on this and a couple of other items as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #21

Towing doubles ball to ball is legal in many states and TX according to this:

Length Limits

Vehicle(s) TypeLegalMaximumTruck or single vehicle.................45'75'

Truck and trailer combination........65'

Commercial truck and stinger-steered semi-trailer combination transporting automobiles or boats...........................................

75'Combinations such as truck, travel trailer & boat or motor home, boat and towing a car........................................65'

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #22

My browser won't pick up on this forums url insert link . But maybe this will work.

Texas Legal Size and Weight Limits
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
link works fine jimlin !

and an excerpt on length:
Combinations such as
truck, travel trailer & boat

or
motor home, boat and towing a car
65'

Note MY grouping - if'n my interpretation is correct - the and's and the ampersand
means triple tow as long as under 65'

course there is some ambiguity in the punctuation
the gooberment has never messed up
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #24

truck, travel trailer & boat = a "three vehicle combination" or double tow.

Dot definitions say a truck or truck tractor towing a semi- trailer/trailer/trailer = tripple tow.

The truck isn't a towed vehicle.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #25

Before you tow more than one trailer behind your rig check with your insurance co. too.

The law says the "vehicle" towing a trailer is responsible for the insurance coverage on the trailer. Problem is, if it's trailer # 2 that somehow causes an accident, trailer # 1 has no insurance, it's covered only by the tow vehicle.

In other words there's no insurance on trailer # 2 unless you have something in writing (a special binder, etc.) from your insurance provider.

A friend of the family learned about this the hard way.

Trailers behind toads are a common risk that way.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #26

Haha I appreciate all the conflicting info. This is exactly everything I've heard. I'm gonna go with the playing stupid approach if I get pulled over and I'm confident the officer/sheriff won't be able to tell me directly without searching for himself.
Regarding the insurance, I do have truck and trailer insurance so I'm covered either way.

Thanks for all the input!
DC
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Regarding the insurance, I do have truck and trailer insurance so I'm covered either way.

Thanks for all the input!
DC
Not unless your insurance company specifies multiple trailers towed simultaneously you don't.

If trailer # 3 breaks away or otherwise causes an accident, the insurance on trailer # 2 (which is now the 'tow vehicle') doesn't cover it because there is no third party liability on a trailer.

Insurance companies look for any little reason to say no to a claim.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #28

To revisit this...

I finally caught up with my local DPS License & Weight officer and asked in great detail about vehicle combinations.

He confirmed that the max OAL is 65' and that there is no trailer types defined.

To the law it makes no difference whether the front trailer is a Gooseneck, a 5er or a bumper pull.

He also called his superiors in Austin to double check and we uncovered another odd detail. The tow vehicle pulling two trailers MUST have TRUCK tags and weigh 2,500 lbs or more. We were both fascinated by the weight requirement being so low and also it would seem to exclude double towing behind an RV tagged motor home.

Thats what I got from the talk with the blue patcher.