Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

Downsizing from MH to TT seeking advice

A little background. I am an analytical person. When I chose my Class A motorhome I did a bunch of research and had a list of requirements. With motorhomes it was generally easy to take my list and check them. I had a spreadsheet and checked off what each one had, compared prices and I was good to go.
Now I am trying to do the same thing with a potential TT purchase. I am having a difficult time trying to find the info. And to compound it there are so many different models even within the same manufacturer. Maybe subtle differences between the two. How the heck am I going to determine what to purchase?!?!?
When I did my motorhome search it came down to Newmar Canyonstar 3710, Tiffin Allegro 36L and Fleetwood Bounder 35K. That was for full time living. I am downsizing to part time and also want something smaller. It is only me.

Some of the things I am looking for:
1/2 ton towable
above average size for shower
4 season insulation package
at least 1500 lbs CCC
normal queen sized bed
above average quality
no slides

Any thoughts on what fits the bill? Or how I can get to the info I am looking for relatively easily?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #2

There are way too many trailers to start with. Maybe compare Winnebago Mini Plus to Flagstaff Classic / Rockwood Signiture, Keystone Cougar, StarCraft Super Lite, Grand Design Imagine to start. Pick the best one out of that batch. Then add a Jayco Eagle and Jayflight, a Crossroads Sunset Trail and a Coachman Freedom Express..

Google best travel trailers. Or look at dealer inventory to get makes and models numbers.

This is not going to be easy as you would also have Lance, Outdoor RV and Arctic Fox not to mention Airstream.

You would want roof material, insulation if possible, tank sizes, number of slides - ugh, it is going to be very difficult. Even I do not know how to analyze all the travel trailers. Entry level , mid level and upper level trailers.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #3

Northwood https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-22g/#
Outdoors RV https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/creek-side-21rd/
Lance. I know it has a slide but the quality and easy towability is worth it.
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-t.../1685/gallery/

All the rest is the same Indiana stuff with nothing but bling setting them apart.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Lance now has a non slide 2075.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Northwood https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-22g/#
Outdoors RV https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/creek-side-21rd/
Lance. I know it has a slide but the quality and easy towability is worth it.
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-t.../1685/gallery/

All the rest is the same Indiana stuff with nothing but bling setting them apart.
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at them and they don't seem to work for me. They look like small showers. I have broad shoulders (wear a jacket of 44 and I am 5'11"). So I am looking for a larger than normal shower. Something close to 30x40. These seems to be in the 24" range. The last one was the typical corner shower and I didn't like that when I had my DP. I was always bumping the sides.
I think I am also looking for a walk around queen bed so it is easier to make the bed (yep, I make it every morning). I actually took out the side cabinets in my Bounder so the bed could be made.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #6

I think for what you are describing the one criteria you will probably need to reconsider is the 1/2 ton towable. Not only from a length and weight standpoint, if you are looking at a quality, well insulated trailer, but also considering the amount of cargo carrying capacity you would need. And especially if you are going to be safe about it.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
I think for what you are describing the one criteria you will probably need to reconsider is the 1/2 ton towable. Not only from a length and weight standpoint, if you are looking at a quality, well insulated trailer, but also considering the amount of cargo carrying capacity you would need. And especially if you are going to be safe about it.
Thanks and maybe. But so far I checked out some TT in the 7500 lb range and from website info they might fit the bill. I don't quite know how well they are insulated. And finding that info is not very easy. And a new F150 should be able to tow a 7500 lb trailer.
So, onward with the search I go.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Thanks and maybe. But so far I checked out some TT in the 7500 lb range and from website info they might fit the bill. I don't quite know how well they are insulated. And finding that info is not very easy. And a new F150 should be able to tow a 7500 lb trailer.
So, onward with the search I go.
Just got in July a 2020 F150 Lariat with 502A options and max towing package for boat and non TT usage and it is rated at 12.5K with 3.5 eco boost. The problem with getting a vehicle now is COVID: it hit during normal model year max production rate time and not many new vehicles were made, now the manufacturers are in model changeover. Demand is still there now and there is very limited supply of used vehicles which drives you to new models and there aren't many available, check the car lots you pass wherever you are and the cars are probably spaced with lots of space between them as inventories are down, this is the case in WI where I reside.

FWIW, I have also been (justifiably) accused of being Anal-lytic, I guess it comes with being in a technical profession and having to make the best decisions based on the data that is available. Retired a few years ago and I always have a spreadsheet open on my laptop, a 2Do list open if nothing else.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSSSS View Post
Just got in July a 2020 F150 Lariat with 502A options and max towing package for boat and non TT usage and it is rated at 12.5K with 3.5 eco boost. The problem with getting a vehicle now is COVID: it hit during normal model year max production rate time and not many new vehicles were made, now the manufacturers are in model changeover. Demand is still there now and there is very limited supply of used vehicles which drives you to new models and there aren't many available, check the car lots you pass wherever you are and the cars are probably spaced with lots of space between them as inventories are down, this is the case in WI where I reside.

FWIW, I have also been (justifiably) accused of being Anal-lytic, I guess it comes with being in a technical profession and having to make the best decisions based on the data that is available. Retired a few years ago and I always have a spreadsheet open on my laptop, a 2Do list open if nothing else.
Here in Florida there are plenty of new F150s available for purchase. You can check on the Ford site, put in the options you want and a list comes up. So that is not my concern at this point.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I recently downsized from a diesel pusher myself.

I have a 23' Rockwood Ultra Light and its dry weight is 5555. I had a 1/2 ton Ram with every single towing option including the air suspension, tow mirrors, all towing accessories, 3.92 gears and the 3.0 EcoDiesel with a 12,000 lb tow rating. It was great off the line but anything over 60 mph it was wheezing and doing all it could to pull the trailer. The trailer never felt stable behind the truck either. All the way home with the trailer, it was hunting between 3rd and 4th gear. I really thought all these "1/2 ton towable trailers" could be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, but let's just say that within a few days I traded for a 2500 diesel. Problem solved.

The RV places aren't going to tell you that you can't tow these with a 1/2 ton truck, heck they sold my friend who has a EcoBoost Ford 1/2 ton truck a 9500 lb dry weight trailer, and he will be the first to tell you it isn't up to the task. He's currently looking for a Ford F250.

Personally, I would not go over 21' and nothing over 4500 dry behind a half ton. I pulled my friends 21' Micro Lite with no issues. That Micro Lite is a good 1-2' shorter than my Ultra too, which is likely part of the problem.

I'm not a newbie to towing either, I've been towing all across the country since the 1980s, all different types of trailers.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I recently downsized from a diesel pusher myself.

I have a 23' Rockwood Ultra Light and its dry weight is 5555. I had a 1/2 ton Ram with every single towing option including the air suspension, tow mirrors, all towing accessories, 3.92 gears and the 3.0 EcoDiesel with a 12,000 lb tow rating. It was great off the line but anything over 60 mph it was wheezing and doing all it could to pull the trailer. The trailer never felt stable behind the truck either. All the way home with the trailer, it was hunting between 3rd and 4th gear. I really thought all these "1/2 ton towable trailers" could be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, but let's just say that within a few days I traded for a 2500 diesel. Problem solved.

The RV places aren't going to tell you that you can't tow these with a 1/2 ton truck, heck they sold my friend who has a EcoBoost Ford 1/2 ton truck a 9500 lb dry weight trailer, and he will be the first to tell you it isn't up to the task. He's currently looking for a Ford F250.

Personally, I would not go over 21' and nothing over 4500 dry behind a half ton. I pulled my friends 21' Micro Lite with no issues. That Micro Lite is a good 1-2' shorter than my Ultra too, which is likely part of the problem.

I'm not a newbie to towing either, I've been towing all across the country since the 1980s, all different types of trailers.
Yep, the age old old debate - gas or diesel. I appreciate your view.
I decided a number of years ago gas was my choice. I downsized from a DP to a gas Class A. The newer gas engines do just fine in my opinion. I put 25,000 miles from coast to coast, desert and mountains in my gas Class A of 36' towing a car too. It was fine IMO and that's what matters.
Back in the 90's I towed a 20' car trailer loaded with motorcycles from a F150 all across this beautiful nation without issue.
Will I be the first one up the hill? Nope, don't need to, I am retired. I take my sweet time going down steep grades.
IMO diesels are just overpriced for my limited budget. This is especially true should I need repairs. Heck, what does a fuel injector cost on one of them things? An oil change? The purchase price? Nope, can't eat lobster on a bread and water budget.
For those that can afford a diesel, more power to ya, wave when you pass me on that mountain grade
Old 09-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
IMO diesels are just overpriced for my limited budget.
The diesel pusher has become the upscale neighborhood to the RV community. We have found that the scenery around the country looks just as good from our gas rig as from the most expensive diesel and costs me far less. I didn't buy a motorhome to race people!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #13

I agree on the half ton. I have a Ram with the 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears and 8 speed trans. Towing a 6300 lb Winnebago Minnie plus. It tow without effort through the mountains etc, but the downside is the rear sag and handling. I don’t go over 65 with the cheap Chinese tires either way. I’m about to have airbags installed and hope it helps. I won’t get rid f the truck before it’s time but I guarantee the next truck will be a 2500.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
I agree on the half ton. I have a Ram with the 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears and 8 speed trans. Towing a 6300 lb Winnebago Minnie plus. It tow without effort through the mountains etc, but the downside is the rear sag and handling. I don’t go over 65 with the cheap Chinese tires either way. I’m about to have airbags installed and hope it helps. I won’t get rid f the truck before it’s time but I guarantee the next truck will be a 2500.

Look at Tuff Truck coil springs for the rear. The 1211 is what I have on mine, as they add 50% greater capacity than stock. IMO it rides even better unloaded as well. Getting a nice set of shocks would also help. My stock rear shocks were shot after 40k miles. But I also tow and haul a lot.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice