Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Dripping from hot water heater?

We are in the middle of our 2nd trip out in our new Winnebago Minnie Plus Travel Trailer. As she was walking in to go to bed just now, my wife said she heard a dripping sound from the back of the camper. I opened up the hot water heater access panel, and there was water dripping from the pressure release valve on the hot water heater. Small puddle at the bottom below the heater. I am completely new to this. It seems like this may be normal because water is constantly under pressure and building inside the hot water heater. But, I thought it wise to ask, since the trailer is new and under warranty, and I don't have the definite answer. Is this normal, or is this a problem?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

I think it is normal, ours does that from time to time. It usually occurs right after the tank has refilled and re-heated, or after the initial heating of the tank. As long as it is just a small dripping, and not spraying out.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

NO it is NOT NORMAL.

Dripping from T&P Relief Valve will cause corrosion on t-stat terminals/spade connectors or on gas valve solenoid depending on which Brand of RV water heater.
That will cause 'other' issues/problems.

'Weeping' from water heater T&P Relief Valve is an indication that the 'air pocket' has been lost.

Water SWELLS when heated.
By design an 'air pocket' at top of WH TANK allows for the expansion of heated water w/o a substantial increase in pressure.
Water can not be compressed so w/o an air pocket the pressure will increase and cause the T&P Relief Valve to weep due to RV plumbing being a 'closed loop system'

Air pocket is normally established during initial filling. Can get absorbed into water over time

To re-establish air pocket
Turn off water source supply
Open closest faucet hot side to relieve pressure....leave open
Open T&P Relief Valve via lever...caution water hot.
Let it SNAP closed when water stops running out
Close faucet
Turn on water source supply

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have had that occur as well when first refilling and heating. How I stopped it was I just carefully released a small amount of pressure using the valve and it stopped. Be very careful because it's hot water and under pressure. Once it's full and being used it doesn't seem to re- occur until the next time you refill and heat following draining the tank.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS & Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
tcg

I agree that's it the water pocket thing described above.

The procedure above will work but I've had success just turning of the water supply or pump and opening a hot water faucet inside.

Doesn't happen too often and the procedure above or what I do when I'm lazy solves the problem.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #6

I replaced my dripping valve and the new one does not drip. Old one looked all calcified.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

It's a valve--it shouldn't leak in your RV or your home water heater.

If it leaks it should be replaced.

You can try opening it and letting it snap shut a couple of times AFTER you FIRST release the pressure by shutting off the water supply to the RV AND then opening a hot water tap. Use caution if the water is hot since the exposed portions of the valve will also be hot. WARNING: If the relief valve is really corroded/damaged/defective this may make the leak worse. Since it is still under warranty the dealer should replace it.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater