Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #15

I ready don't think you will have to worry about snow unless your going to cross the smokey mountains and you couldn't cross it with snow anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #16

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I ready don't think you will have to worry about snow unless your going to cross the smokey mountains and you couldn't cross it with snow anyway.
We where looking to do a trip to Helen Ga, then to Dollywood and if time permitted to Nashville ,

mike
Old 09-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #17

I live in Knoxville ,Tn and usually and I say usually the weather doesn't get bad until January and February .. So unless your going into the Mountains or up on the plateau your most likely not going to have any issues but cold weather.. Weather on the plateau can change quick so I would be prepared like the other folks say.. Hopefully you will just deal with a little cold weather and have a very enjoyable trip.
Scoobyd313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd313 View Post
I live in Knoxville ,Tn and usually and I say usually the weather doesn't get bad until January and February .. So unless your going into the Mountains or up on the plateau your most likely not going to have any issues but cold weather.. Weather on the plateau can change quick so I would be prepared like the other folks say.. Hopefully you will just deal with a little cold weather and have a very enjoyable trip.
Thank you , Since you live in Tennessee maybe you would no the routes that I would take " I have no idea until I gps or mapquest " if most of the main routes are pretty safe "
So from Florida we where going to hit Helen Ga, first then north to Dollywood and lastly shoot west to Nashville and from there shoot south east to Georgia " stone mountain" then to the deep south " West Palm Beach "
We would be leaving December 19th and returning home by January 4th

Thank you
mike
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #19

Anything can happen when it comes to weather, but in that time frame I'm thinking you'll be fine. Regarding driving in snowy weather? Me and much in the way of hills would have this driver safely tucked away until the snow melted. Trying to get a rig slowed coming down some of those slopes would have me....concerned.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
So living in south Florida as you can guess I have never driven in snow I am looking at towing my new 28 ft, TT up threw GA, and Tennessee around Christmas time , So anything you could tell me would be great and I also have a few questions ,
Tow truck is a Ram 1500 eco diesel 4x4 crew cab

1. traction control on or off in 2 wheel drive ?

2. if in 4 wheel drive same question as # 1. ?

3. anything else that you can think of for a newbee driving in snow with a 7000 lb TT ?

Thank you
mike
If you are going to travel in the winter, have the phone numbers for state & local road conditions, they are usually the most current conditions, but conditions can change in minutes. Some states have cameras in snow areas, available to see on the internet. I would avoid traveling in the snow while towing a trailer, chaining up, no way.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dude....if it's snowing get off the road and wait till it quits!!

Friend of mine was pulling a fifth wheel through a 8 inch snow storm. Had a bad crash.

I grew up driving in snow, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Utah and I won't drive the coach when it's snowing.

We find a campground and wait until the roads are clear.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #22

I have never been to Helen Georgia so no real help there.. So might be best to GPS it to Dollywood.. But after that it's easy ..your in my neck of the woods..the faster way from Dollywood is to hit I-40 from 66 and it's a straight shot to Nashville on 40 west .. You will cross the Cumberland plateau but I am still sticking with your so early in the season you shouldn't have a problem... If you do run into anything besides a a big rig wreck ( Drivers love to lay them on their sides around the 335 mile marker) it will be near the 300 mile marker close to Monterrey .. From about the 330 mile marker to the 300 is a little curvy so watch your speed.after that you are heading off the plateau and to lower ground with less to worry about.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #23

Ohh and as far as heading back to stone mountain from Nashville it's back to the gps for the best route ..sorry
Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #24

Evergreen Owners Club
Thank you
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
In this area of the country in the hill/mountains (Cherokee, NC) you can encounter ice on the shady side of the route and 300 yards up the road it will have dried off. Usually if you wait until afternoon, any black ice will be minimal. Schools close at the drop of a hat in this area as they will not put buses on mountain roads in the morning. They often opt to have a two hour delayed start. Try to drive later in the day. Bad conditions are not the norm for western NC in the winter but it takes very little to shut things down. A day after any snow or ice is not a problem, the interstates are usually good but watch the back road switchbacks, they will still be bad in the shade.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Dude....if it's snowing get off the road and wait till it quits!!

Friend of mine was pulling a fifth wheel through a 8 inch snow storm. Had a bad crash.

I grew up driving in snow, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Utah and I won't drive the coach when it's snowing.

We find a campground and wait until the roads are clear.
X2 on that
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #27

One of my other concerns about driving when it snows is the temps. My trailer is protected from freezing when the furnace is on. Obviously cant drive with it on so how do you protect from freezing when driving in the mid 20's or lower?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't understand why you can't drive with the furnace on?

I have always run my furnace and fridge if temperatures warranted it.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote