Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #1

OK, here's the thing, my daughter washed the dishes for me last weekend at the campground and I dumped the dishwater in the TT's toilet ( just to make sure the tank is good and full for emptying later ) and I didn't check to make sure it was just water in there. I see the scissors (about 6 inches long) go out with the water and hear a big thunk when it hits bottom. What the heck do I do now? My poor DH tried fishing them out with a wire coat hanger, no luck. We dumped the tanks and prayed the scissors wouldn't wreck anything. Do I leave them in there and hope for the best or try to fish them out again?

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance

jen&john is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #2

OK, here's the thing, my daughter washed the dishes for me last weekend at the campground and I dumped the dishwater in the TT's toilet ( just to make sure the tank is good and full for emptying later ) and I didn't check to make sure it was just water in there. I see the scissors (about 6 inches long) go out with the water and hear a big thunk when it hits bottom. What the heck do I do now? My poor DH tried fishing them out with a wire coat hanger, no luck. We dumped the tanks and prayed the scissors wouldn't wreck anything. Do I leave them in there and hope for the best or try to fish them out again?

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance

Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #3

Use a strong magnet, I would imagine you can get it with one attached to a long heavy rod or something.
I don't know if you could go through the drain pipe, or maybe have to lock the flush plate open, but I would imagine you should be able to get it.
Wear gloves and watch out for spatter.
Maybe a garden hose with a nozzle on it will blast around in the tank and move the scissors.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If the scissors are made of stainless steel (some are), they will not be attracted to a magnet. Your only recourse will be to "fish" for them using the coat hanger or buying a claw-type pick-up tool (usually found in most auto parts stores). I'm not sure how effective a pick-up tool will be because most are only 24-36 inches long and it's probably (I'm guessing) about 18" just from the toilet blade to the bottom of the tank.

Because it might take awhile to find and retrieve them, the fumes from holding the toilet blade open could become overpowering. If your bathroom has a Fantastic, Maxxair Maxxfan, or other type of fan that covers the entire vent opening do this to help prevent the fumes from escaping from the toilet while you work:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>close the bathroom door.
<LI>On the bathroom side, block any large openings around the door where air could escape into the coach.
<LI>Put the fan on intake and run it at low-speed[/list]What should happen here is because you've closed the bathroom door and blocked any other air escape routes, the fan will cause the air pressure in the bathroom to increase slightly. This will force air down the opening in the toilet and out the black tank's vent pipe, thus keeping fumes at bay.

If you still notice fumes, try increasing the speed of the fan. Keep in mind, though, that the black tank's vent stack is smaller than the opening in the toilet, so you might not be able to eliminate all the fumes.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #5

Well, you could drop a big stone down into the black tank, since rock beats scissors...

Seriously, I'd try the magnet, and if that didn't work try snagging it with a length of stiff wire.

I doubt it will damage anything in there, but at some point I would imagine it will end up wedged in the drain pipe where solids could stack up behind it and cause a clog.

Good luck.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #6

Had not thought of the scissors being stainless, that is a good point.
But I guess either way you have to try a magnet to find out.
You do not want it blocking the drain pipe.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions! I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #8

Sometime ago we did the same thing and lost a spoon down the toilet. I picked up one of those extendable magnets at the dollar store that looks like it's on the end of a pointer. Worked great but then the wife decided she didn't really want the spoon back anyway. Go figure.
lat471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Lat471, welcome to iRV2, and come back and visit us often.

It seems everyone has a black tank story to tell.

If they don't, they will.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
ok, making a note to myself here over this story, "dump dishwater in bucket first, then bucket into black tank" hoping I never have a
black tank story to tell.
cameo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jen&john:
Thanks for the suggestions! I will let you know how it turns out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soooo, did you get them out?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #12

Still haven't tried yet. I am looking for a magnet to try "fishing" it out. Off to Home Depot and Wally World tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 AM   #13

I think Advance Store has a long spring rod with magnet attached to fish out dropped nuts and bolt while working on car.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #14

[QUOTE]ply

Its entirely possible the scissors are now mired in the sludge on the bottom of the tank..If so I really doubt that they will move very far if they even ever move..the only time they may cause a problem is when(if) they move to the drain area and may block the closing of the valve door or create a blockage at the drain...that will probably be the best time to retrieve them as it is probably far easier to get at them..

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote