Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Dual Pane Windows

We recently sold our Arctic Fox trailer and are beginning the shopping process for a new one. Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV are on our short list.
Our previous trailer had dual pane windows and we loved them, but I'm wondering if they are absolutely necessary for our next one. We do sometimes use it when nighttime temps can drop below freezing, maybe as lows as mid teens at the worst for a night or two.

My biggest concern is condensation, but also liked how the extra glass seemed to help sound proof as well.

I know that most trailers don't have dual pane windows and we sure see plenty of others camping in the same temps we are, seemingly without issues. So how important are the dual pane windows?
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

How much of a $$ hit are they? If you had them before and liked them, then you'll probably regret not ordering them if you don't, especially since you camp in sub-freezing weather. I don't have them but most of our camping is in warmer climates.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #3

I think they are about a $1,000 option on the trailers we'd be looking at. Certainly not going to recoup it in energy savings, that's for sure.
I'm just curious what others experiences are with single pane windows in sub freezing overnight weather.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #4

Dual Pane Windows

We camp in the winter in Wisconsin. I wish we had dual panes. Wiping down the windows every morning so we can see out is annoying. Moisture management is always on my mind.

Cost is an issue. The effort of DIY replacing windows is an issue. It is mostly DIY avoidance that stops me from going ahead with the project.

I will buy a TT with dual pane windows next time.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dual pane glass is standard on an ORV trailer. No "Option" upcharge. That was a huge plus for us.

You asked what single pane was like in cold weather- our Keystone Outback 220URB was single pane.
Definitely created cold spots anywhere in the proximity of a window that you could feel, sitting in the slide out was like sitting a refrigerator.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

I priced out a new Rockwood that had Thermopane windows as an ooption.

Here is the MSRP worksheet. The Thermopane windows were a reasonable $653.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200608_163156953.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	288789
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My motorhome has dual pane but my Coachman Destination trailer doesn't.... sure wish it did. LOTS more noise in single pane as well as heat/cold intrusion and the constant window sweating in the mornings. I would say it is definately worth $1000 just for the comfort/quiteness factor.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. I'm more convinced than ever that dual pane windows are on the "must have" list.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #9

I have owned 3 trailer , two of them had two layers of glass. I have stayed over night in all of them when it was -15* or maybe slightly colder. I can tell you then Ice will form on the inside at about 10*F depending on how warm you have it inside. My 27' trailer had single layer glass and the propane use was high along with running 23~24 amps of electric heat . The holiday Rambler had two layers of glass and that never had ice on the windows and only a 13.5K AC unit , without thermos pane glass I know that trailer would not have stayed under 73* when the outside temps went over 90* outside. My redwood 5er has thermos pane windows and with 2 roof AC units running it stays cool on 90* days and warm in the winter near the windows. If you have the option for under $1000.00 its a no brainer. Depending on the trailer two AC units with heat pump options in cold areas helps down to about 38* . My redwood with just on 15K heat pump running doesn't need any propane to keep the inside at 70*. My buddie just got a Jayco 32' eagle bunk house and we had to add a 2nd AC unit to the roof to keep it under 72* inside on a 82* day outside , No thermo pane windows and the factory unit was only 13.5K unit. Noise , sun , frost on the inside are all valid reasons why you want them.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All Outdoors RV trailers have come with dual pane windows as standard equipment for a number of years now, if that helps.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 5th has dual pane windows and the MH does not. Dual pane is great in any hot or cold environment and reduces the noise factor for sure.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #12

Our first Alpenlite had dual panes with the mirror finish on the outside. No need for curtains at all by day. Could not really see inside by night either unless lights were on bright. Hazardous to birds sometimes. Kinda cool cause animals would come close not aware that anyone was inside watching.

Lost that trailer in a blowover & replacement has single pane.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #13

If you regularly/frequently camp in freezing conditions dual panes are worthwhile.
However if you don't or seldom camp in freezing conditions dual panes are not necessary.
I seldom camp in freezing weather although I have been out in 20ļf weather many times.
For the most part my camping is done in summer time weather or moderately cold conditions.
I don't feel the need for dual panes.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As mentioned by others dual pane windows are just more efficient in either cold or hot climates..just think of your house, up here in BC they have rebates if you want to convert from single one to dual pane..just makes sense.. for any one saying they donít notice a different.. sorry...I call bs.

Tags
wind, window