Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dutchman TT Rehab

My wife and I own a 1999 Dutchman Lite. Pretty good travel trailer for the most part and we have no complaints other than the rotten mattresses they send with them but I digress.

We purchased it a three years ago from my wifes parents for what they owed on it, right around $4500 dollars. After using it and living in it, for two months, after starting a new job, it could use some work. I thought I would start a little chronological thread to track my progress and give others a few cheap laughs at my expense. I'll try and get a few pictures of the beast so folks will know were I went wrong and again get a few cheap laughs in.

Here is a sample of the things that need to be done in order to pass my inspection. Number one on the list is new rubber all the way around, it's original from 99' and they go by the brand name 'maypops'. Two would be the leaky sky light in the bath, the rv place they bought it from put a rubber roof on it and went over the top of the skylight instead of sealing under it and reattaching the skylight. Next will be repacking all the wheel bearings and adding new seals, they've never been apart, ever! Nearly every piece of exterior plastic needs to be replaced, especially the oven vent hood thing is very yellow, along with the propane tank cover and the electrical cord encloser. I've also got to give this thing a bath, the guy at the trailer shop said he had a cleaner that works great for taking chlorophyll off of trailers. Oh, and not least of which is replacing the 'pink' marker lights over the back of the trailer, they just look horrible!!

Ok, I'll try and follow up with a few picks of my trailer up on blocks in the morning if weather permitts. It's the same trailer as in my avitar! Thanks for reading
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Good luck on your rehab project.

My husband and I did a lot of work to our first TT ('96 Mallard), some was functional, other was cosmetic. Here are some of the things we did to give you inspiration.

Cosmetic:
Recovered floor - Allure vinyl plank (there is a thread in the 5th wheel forum on using it), it looked fantastic!
New wall boarder - the pastel pink and blue HAD to go
New curtains - sewed them myself

Functional repairs:
Replaced old, cracking drawer hardware
Replaced bath/bunkhouse doors with fabric accordion doors
Replace awning fabric and much of the hardware
Replaced smoke alarm and LP/CO alarm (this might be the first thing you want to do if it hasn't been replaced in the last 5 years)

After all of that work, we sold it for a profit and traded up to something with a slide .

Enjoy the process, take lots of pictures (I didn't) and you will enjoy your TT so much more afterwards.
cdstrohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I finally snapped a few photos this afternoon to give you an idea of what I'm up against.

New tires

Brake and spindle inspection

New seals and bearings repacked with good ol' Kendall Blue ready to be installed.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a few more updates.

Before

After

I never knew that this cap had an attachment point

The cover rotted right off of the rest of the enclosure so I replace this too.

This handle was just horrible! This is much better.

I went with the more expensive butyl tape when I installed all of these so now its just a matter of getting every thing washed and calked in. How am I doing?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hope you folks dont mind pictures.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbh31118 View Post
Hope you folks dont mind pictures.
You kidding? We pictures. Keep 'em coming.

You're doing great. If you run into anything that stumps you, just ask. Someone here will know the answer.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You kidding? We pictures. Keep 'em coming.

You're doing great. If you run into anything that stumps you, just ask. Someone here will know the answer.

Lori-
Thanks! I've got plenty more pic to snap over the coming weeks to make the seasoned veteran grown with despair. j/k. I do have some issues with my bathroom sky-light that needs to be addressed so I'll be looking forward to your input there. Thanks again for every ones kind words.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #8

You are making progress! Keep up with the pictures
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pictures you want and pictures I've got.

I started in on getting it washed up today. The only thing going on here is just getting most of the rough stuff off. The bad part is that it looks like the awning my very well be shot. The seam seems like it may be dry rotted, I heard a few cracks as I was washing along the seam. Can just the fabric be replaced or do I have to replace the hole drum along with it.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #10

Your trailer is a beauty!
CaptnLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

She has cleaned up beautifully, and to answer your question, yes you can just replace the awning fabric. We replace the fabric last year on our original TT ('96 Mallard). Took 3 people half a day, but we got it done. If the rest of the fabric is solid, you might want to just run awning repair tape along the seam for this year and tackle the awning next year.

Keep the picture coming!

Are you planning any interior projects?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have any major interior projects other than maybe a memory foam mattress and a carpet cleaner. Most of the inside is in nearly new shape from lack of use. I might change the stereo if I get a chance maybe something with satellite or some thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #13

Wow it's looking great!
MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
What a difference a little TLC makes!
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutchmen, lite, plastic, repair, tank