Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2023, 07:41 AM   #1

Either ORV 24RKS Titanium vs Arctic fox 25W

I am shopping for a new or near new travel trailer, and trying to decide between the two companies. I had an ORV 5th wheel and liked it, but had to sell it.

Now we want a travel trailer. I will be pulling it with a 2022 GMC 1500 Diesel with the Max towing package, maximum pulling weight of 12K pounds.

Some of the Arctic Fox units do not have the auto levelers, and that concerns me.

Is it hard to level a trailer this big and heavy (29', about 10K lbs, fully loaded) without the auto levelers?

Appreciate your advice on which one. thanks!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #2

Can’t imagine leveling would be all that different from any trailer. Side to side with blocks and fore and aft with tongue jack.
That 1500 have enough payload for a 10k trailer?
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #3

Never had auto level on my 5th wheel or my TT's. If the one I wanted had it then that would be a bonus I'd like. But it hasn't stopped me from buying what I want.
I use the Level Mate Pro with our current ORV 25RDS. Makes leveling a little easier. I also use a cordless drill on the stab jacks. I would never pay to have it added. I'd rather spend that money on other upgrades like battery/solar/inverter stuff.

One other thing to consider is the ORV will have a really high coupler height compared to the AF. More than likely you won't be able to lower your tailgate when the WDH is in the receiver. Most ORV owners that have 3/4 ton trucks that sit higher than your 1/2 ton have trouble with lowering the tailgate.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 03:48 PM   #4

My max payload from the plate is 1559, max trailer weight is 12,900, max tongue weight is 1290. This truck also has a beefed up rear suspension and better axles than the previous ones.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:22 PM   #5

Watching, we are in the same boat on the same models. We have an ORV factory tour scheduled on the 30th.
Nwtravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:59 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't want to be a debbie downer, but, it you're payload is 1559, you don't have enough payload capacity. Your tongue weight is going to be aprox 15 percent of your trailer weight.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #7

A lot of people try to tow these heavy trailers with a 150/1500 series truck. There is nothing wrong with that. But sooner or later they buy a 250/2500 series truck for more comfortable towing.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:15 PM   #8

Re: payload and tongue weight. I will keep an eye on that when I pick up the unit and weigh it. We are not fulltiming so we don't load the trailer or truck with much when we go out. I had a 2500 but since it was also a daily driver, I downsized to a 1500 for better mpg. When not towing, I get about 28-30 on the freeway when I drive at the speed limit. Total all around is about 25 mpg.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:44 PM   #9
ODH

I own a ORV 24RKS. Very happy with it. My tongue weight is 1250 lbs loaded for a 3 to 4 day trip. You do not have enough load capability for this trailer.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:16 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With 1550 lbs capacity, consider this;
The tongue weight of a 24RKS will be close to 1000 lbs. Believe me.
Add the weight of even one person in the truck and a tank of fuel, and you're over the limit.
The idea of RVing is to enjoy the ride. I don't think a 1500 would be a good idea to tow a 24RKS.
Also, if an accident would happen and the other guy's lawyer found an "unsafe" condition caused the calamity, well, you know.
We love our 24RKS and if you get one, enjoy!!!
Old 05-21-2023, 04:29 AM   #11

Towing on back roads to the local state park is a whole lot different than getting on the highway and trying to stay up with the 70 mph traffic. A 150/1500 series truck can tow on back roads easier than the highway. For a non full timer it is doable.

Oh one truck that could tow this trailer on the highway is the Nissan Titan XD. The XD is a different truck than the regular Titan and is a lot more capable. Keep that in mind.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:01 AM   #12

Either one is a very nice TT. We like the auto level on our 27-5 but leveling out a TT isn't difficult. Auto level may have more stability when parked. I'd go with the one with the floor plan I liked most and could get the best price on. Pay attention to the hitch height mentioned in a previous reply. Now the bad news. Yes you can tow either one with your 1/2 ton. But you won't enjoy the journey and neither will the people following you. If you get all loaded up for camping and scale it you will be over your payload capacity. Just fact. Sorry.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:13 AM   #13

Auto leveling is a very worthwhile feature. At this point it is very common and I would not buy a new large fully equipped trailer that did not have this feature.
Secondly once you decide you desire a large 10K trailer you also need a large truck to go with it.
Towing a large trailer with a 1/2 ton truck will be less than ideal.
If you stay local maybe you can get away with it.
But than again you are limiting yourself to staying local vs. traveling without limits or concerns.
Lantley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:09 PM   #14

Thanks to all for your advice. I will make a decision soon, and consider what to do about the tongue weight scenario. For those who have the 24RKS, are you using a weight distribution hitch or not?