Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
not my possession to tell you what to do with it or how you do it.
Position?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 02:32 PM   #44
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Not as smart as you folks, isn't a 30 amp breaker different from a 30 amp plug?
I have a 30 amp 120 volt circuit (30 amp breaker) with a 30 amp outlet that I plug my 30 amp shore cord into on the side of my house. That outlet is fed with a 10 gauge wire from the breaker per licensed electrician and inspector.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I have a 30 amp 120 volt circuit (30 amp breaker) with a 30 amp outlet that I plug my 30 amp shore cord into on the side of my house. That outlet is fed with a 10 gauge wire from the breaker per licensed electrician and inspector.
Thanks. 10 the min to get approved? Would 8 have been better?
Old 06-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #46
tcg

Quote:
Thanks. 10 the min to get approved? Would 8 have been better?
I am not an electrician and I never plan on having an RV big enough that would require 50 amp but if I did I would have future proofed it with 6 gauge

Ask a liscensed electrician or your city inspector what is code.

But... In my non electrician opinion 8 gauge for 30 amp is overkill and it's harder to run. Unless you have special needs which is why you should ask a real electrician.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I am not an electrician and I never plan on having an RV big enough that would require 50 amp but if I did I would have future proofed it with 6 gauge

Ask a liscensed electrician or your city inspector what is code.

But... In my non electrician opinion 8 gauge for 30 amp is overkill and it's harder to run. Unless you have special needs which is why you should ask a real electrician.
Again. you folks know more about this stuff than I do, however, 8 gauge regarding electricity is not overkill. Your electric buddy could run 8 in a 10 X10 with 10 outlets without any issues, ask him ;o)
Old 06-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #48
tcg

Quote:
Again. you folks know more about this stuff than I do, however, 8 gauge regarding electricity is not overkill. Your electric buddy could run 8 in a 10 X10 with 10 outlets without any issues, ask him ;o)
Why are you asking if you have the answer?

I don't have an electric buddy. I'm only going by what code was when my 30 amp outlet was installed.

I'm only talking about a single 30 amp outlet, you seem to be talking about a sub panel.

My advice is still, talk to a licensed electrician about your needs.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #49
ODH

How do you pull 37.5 amps through a properly functioning 30 amp breaker? You are mixing apples and oranges. The NEC codes mentioned are used to determine the size of the circuit breaker required which in turn determines the size of the wire needed. 10 is the proper size for a 30 amp breaker. The only time it would be justified to use a larger wire would be if the distance causes a voltage drop that would result in unsatisfactory performance of the equipment. At no time will more than 30 amps flow through a 30 amp breaker.

Electrical Engineer with 40 yrs experience.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:29 AM   #50

I suspect that by 'twisting' the 80% requirement, some electrician can sell you oversized wiring... "all to code".
The 80% 'rule' is that you will not run more than 80% of the wire or breakers max. current capability. So for a 30A breaker, you shall not load it up more than 80% or 24A. Period. #10 wire can be rated 30, 35 or even 40A, depending on the type...

So when people run two A/Cs and their microwave on a 30A circuit, they may end up with burnt wiring and attachments.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I suspect that by 'twisting' the 80% requirement, some electrician can sell you oversized wiring... "all to code".
The 80% 'rule' is that you will not run more than 80% of the wire or breakers max. current capability. So for a 30A breaker, you shall not load it up more than 80% or 24A. Period. #10 wire can be rated 30, 35 or even 40A, depending on the type...

So when people run two A/Cs and their microwave on a 30A circuit, they may end up with burnt wiring and attachments.
I was just wondering the other day. This is my first 50a camper with 2 AC's. I know with my last 30a 1ac camper you couldn't run everything or it would trip breakers so we never ran the water heater on electric since it was a huge draw and didn't use much propane. Probably do the same with this one but I am curious if I could run both AC's and the water heater and have enough left over for tvs and a microwave. I'll look it up but my initial thoughts are no.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #52
ODH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I was just wondering the other day. This is my first 50a camper with 2 AC's. I know with my last 30a 1ac camper you couldn't run everything or it would trip breakers so we never ran the water heater on electric since it was a huge draw and didn't use much propane. Probably do the same with this one but I am curious if I could run both AC's and the water heater and have enough left over for tvs and a microwave. I'll look it up but my initial thoughts are no.
"So when people run two A/Cs and their microwave on a 30A circuit, they may end up with burnt wiring and attachments"

No they will not. The 30 amp circuit breaker will trip long before any damage is done.

"This is my first 50a camper with 2 AC's. I know with my last 30a 1ac camper you couldn't run everything or it would trip breakers so we never ran the water heater on electric since it was a huge draw and didn't use much propane. Probably do the same with this one but I am curious if I could run both AC's and the water heater and have enough left over for tvs and a microwave."

Remember that a 50 amp RV circuit is 220v, which means you have 100 amps available for 110v. This means you have plenty of amps to run 2 AC units, a microwave and other 110v circuits if your circuits are spread fairly equaling between the 2 sides of the 220v panel.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post

"This is my first 50a camper with 2 AC's. I know with my last 30a 1ac camper you couldn't run everything or it would trip breakers so we never ran the water heater on electric since it was a huge draw and didn't use much propane. Probably do the same with this one but I am curious if I could run both AC's and the water heater and have enough left over for tvs and a microwave."

Remember that a 50 amp RV circuit is 220v, which means you have 100 amps available for 110v. This means you have plenty of amps to run 2 AC units, a microwave and other 110v circuits if your circuits are spread fairly equaling between the 2 sides of the 220v panel.
So this brings up my follow up question haha......since 50a is a 220 line then when you dog leg it to a 30 does it just pull 110 from one side of the dogleg?
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Perrin View Post
What does everyone use to store their electric cord for shore power? Is there some sort of reel?
I’m getting tired of looping it over my shoulder and elbow and stuffing it in a bin
Thanks in advance!
Moryde makes a cord reel for that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20220616-232731_Chrome.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	368519
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, storage