Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Epoxy painted floors

My son has a small TT and needs to replace the flooring at a low cost. Current thought is to install tempered masonite and paint it with like an epoxy garage floor paint.

Does anyone have real life experience in doing this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #2

No experience with Masonite and epoxy paint, but inexpensive floors, you bet!

When I got my motorhome I had to do the galley and bathroom floor, I went with a vinyl product that had an adhesive stripe, that went down fast and laid down flat... now my TT needs a new floor and I got 8mm float floor (snap together boards) for a little over $100... but, no sub floor.

If he is not pulling all the fixtures and is going to have to cut around everything... I would go with 1/8" plywood from the big box mart... (4'X8' sheets are about $20, and he'll need at least four... about the same cost of Masonite and a better sub floor for later...) then do a vinyl plank or peel and stick over it... taping all the seams of the plywood....
(Or, if the existing floor is level, just a vinyl plank over it will work too...)

Self adhesive 7mm vinyl planks at 12" X 20" come in a box for about $1.10 a sq ft...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He has a peel and stick plank floor now. Due to expansion/contraction with wild temp swings they keep popping off.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:32 PM   #4

I guess you have to think about material dollars AND labor for the complete equasion. Epoxy (2 part) is not cheap, the prep for using it such as covering the existing flooring will require some kind of material worthy to paint on. As mentioned above ,,,will the new floor be fitted around cabinets , precise fit will be required if paint will ne used. I understand peel and stick flooring has big time issues in an RV, my solution for the "new" flooring would be floating vinyl planking. Cost? may be a little on the pricy side but the finished product will be an added value to the RV.
Getting back to the popping up stick on flooring, if it's that bad pulling it up for something new dose not seem that difficult. However if it's flat and smooth it might be ok for a new floating vinyl plank system.
I've put a vinyl plank float floor over a sheet vinyl floor and the results were great. Got the planking at HD , instructions said to allow 1/4" around the parimeter , I violated those instructions :( RV floors are quite small compared to S/B home rooms so expansion is far less.
If it were my son I would make these same recomendations,,,, and I'd help him HA!

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:04 AM   #5

Tempered Masonite is pretty slick. I use it as a replaceable top on my workbench. I can pop off glue, paint and varnish splatter with a putty knife. I would wonder how well epoxy would adhere. It would stick better to 1/4” plywood underlayment.
A floating floor sounds like a better way to go.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #6

Places like Big Lots that sell discontinued or leftover merchandise often have LVT and such in small quantities (but likely enough for an RV) for dirt cheap. I think that would be a much easier install and look a lot better.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #7

An alternative to peel and stick is a floor which has sticky tabs that stick to each other and nothing is actually stuck to the base. It "floats" over whatever is below.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, paint