Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #1

Equal-i-zer WDH questions

I've owned my trailer now for a little over 3 years now. When I bought it, I went with the Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch setup. For the most part, I've left the hitch setup alone and only had the dealer tighten up the bolts holding the tension bars. I have put grease on the otherwise metal-on-metal moving parts but it after a couple of uses, the bolts seem to be too loose. I find that the owner's manual doesn't say much about this aspect of the hitch but I believe I'm seeing labels that say that they should be tightened to a minimum of 60 ft-lbs of torque. While I have torque wrenches for smaller uses, I went and bought the IKON click-style torque wrench that handles from 50-250 ft-lbs on a 1/2" drive and some large sockets to go with it. I find that the bolt to tighten these down is a 15/16". I set the torque wrench to 60 ft-lbs and tried to tighten it up. I never heard any click but I tried to put a bar in its slot and I couldn't get it to budge unless I used my entire 280 pounds of body weight against the far tip of the bar. I was doing this with the hitch sitting in its receiver on my trunk but the trailer was NOT attached.

I am hoping that my brand-new IKON torque wrench is in the ballpark of accurate and works, but I never heard/felt a click (hoping it didn't turn out to be an over-priced breaker bar). I am hoping that I am supposed to set it to 60 ft-lbs, as I believe I read from a label.

If anyone has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #2

My click torque wrench is not very loud. You really have to listen. Maybe try setting it to a lower torque and see if you hear it.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #3

Directly from the Equalizer owners manual;

Setup:

WARNING
Never tow with loose socket bolts. Tighten socket bolts to a minimum of
60 ft-lbs torque before each towing session.

NOTICE Do not pound directly on the sockets to move them. Pounding may cause
the sockets to crack or chip. Use only the lever force of the spring arm to
move tight sockets. Loosen the socket bolt if required. Re-tighten them
once the socket has been moved.
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #4

I stopped trying to use my torque wrench on the socket bolts. I now use a straight bar and after greasing the friction points tighten the bolts so I have to give a moderate shove to more the spring bars.
I found that a given amount of torque, say 80 lbs, didn't give a consistent force result on the bars, depending on how well the friction points were greased.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #5

BTW. I'm 155 lbs so a moderate shove for me will of course vary with a larger gent.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #6

When I torque lug nuts to 85 ft lb, I feel and hear a click, and it isn't taking anywhere close to all my weight" (150 lbs) or all my strength to get there. Your wrench doesn't sound like it's working (or set?) correctly.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:14 AM   #7

Click type torque wrenches

Military and industrial organizations require all torque wrenches be calibrated before use. They do not trust the manufacturer.

Your wrench seems to be NOT correct. It should take about 30 pounds on a two foot wrench to apply 60 foot pounds. It would be 45 pounds for a 1.5 foot wrench.

I have a click type torque wrench. I needed 90 Ft Pounds to tighten WDH mounting bolts. It work fine until it didn't.

Not thinking straight I increased the force until the brackets bent. Later the wrench started working again. I now spend a little time estimating what force is expected before applying force.

If you have applied 250 foot pounds to critical 60 foot pounds mounting bolts, you may wish to replace them. Get exact replacements from the manufacture unless you know how to select proper replacements.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #8

Another reason I hated my EQ when I had one. Constant tweaking and greasy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Military and industrial organizations require all torque wrenches be calibrated before use. They do not trust the manufacturer.

Your wrench seems to be NOT correct. It should take about 30 pounds on a two foot wrench to apply 60 foot pounds. It would be 45 pounds for a 1.5 foot wrench.

I have a click type torque wrench. I needed 90 Ft Pounds to tighten WDH mounting bolts. It work fine until it didn't.

Not thinking straight I increased the force until the brackets bent. Later the wrench started working again. I now spend a little time estimating what force is expected before applying force.

If you have applied 250 foot pounds to critical 60 foot pounds mounting bolts, you may wish to replace them. Get exact replacements from the manufacture unless you know how to select proper replacements.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

I have an el cheap o click style that operate the same way. Sometimes it works sometimes it never clicks. Fortunately I have a nice 3/4 that is total overkill but works every time. I use the other for a bs breaker.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote