Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
I know this is sometimes a contested topic.

With this truck, I primarily use it (Equal-i-Zer 4 pt) for it's anti-sway properties.

However, I see eTrailer recommends one in any application where the trailer weighs more than 1/2 the weight of the two vehicles. Perhaps this is what OP was referring to in his initial post. I believe both of us would fall into this (WDH recommended) category.

I am pulling a 33' wind sail behind me. I can't see how using a good quality hitch such as the Equal-i-Zer could be detrimental.
Here are some reasons it is detrimental:

Taking weight off the rear wheels of the tow vehicle will lower the ability of the tires to keep the load in check.

Adding distance from the truck axle to the hitch ball, as all WD hitches do, will give the trailer more leverage over the truck.

Adding weight directly at the hitch point (some WD hitches weigh 200 lbs) will similarly give the trailer more leverage.

All of the above will tend to create tow vehicle oversteer. You don't hear much about oversteer because hitch manufacturers don't want to talk about it, but if you've ever seen a trailer rolled over and jackknifed on the side of the road that was caused by oversteer.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
What the spec sheet is saying is that if you use a weight distributing hitch then you're good to tow 20,000 lbs. It also says that if you use a ball hitch (weight carrying hitch) then you're also good to tow 20,000 lbs. In other words, it's telling you you don't need a WD hitch for your 8800 lb trailer.
That's what I thought. It tows 20k. All I know is in my experience, I have towed freeballing for about 1000 miles now in 60+ mph winds and it didn't sway at all. I felt no difference when I used the WDH. I can't see any reason to hook one up and can only see the downside of putting more stress on my trailer axels and more weight on my front wheels of truck.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:17 AM   #17

F350 + 8800 lb TT = NBD
I got my Equalizer for my 8500 lb ORV when I had an F150. I'm still using it with my F350 but will not on my next trip. If that doesn't involve a trip to the dry cleaners then the Equalizer is getting garaged. I'm probably going to get a Gen Y Torsion Boss.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:17 AM   #18

One thing to consider about towing with a pickup truck is that, unloaded, the truck has a very poor weight distribution. There is too much load on the front axle and not enough on the rear axle because you have a heavy engine up front. An unloaded diesel pickup can have a front/rear weight distribution of 60/40. Not good. But when you drop a 900 pound load on the hitch ball you might wind up with a perfect 50/50. It would be ill advised to use a WD hitch to disturb this perfect weight distribution.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #19

In theory dropping 900lbs on the bumper would be ideal but thats not the same as dropping 900lbs right over the rear axle. By dropping 900lbs a foot behind the bumper causes the front of the vehicle to raise up 1" plus on certain vehicles.
Take that same 900lbs and drop it in the bed over the rear axle and you get the proper balance and the front of the truck hasn't raised up. Think 5th wheel pin weight.
By causing the front of the vehicle to raise up you create understeer and loss of braking power.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #20

You will also note that the rear of an unloaded pickup is several inches higher than the front. In other words, an unloaded pickup is out of level. Dropping a load on the ball levels it out and equalizes the load on all tires. Braking and handling are optimized.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
You will also note that the rear of an unloaded pickup is several inches higher than the front. In other words, an unloaded pickup is out of level. Dropping a load on the ball levels it out and equalizes the load on all tires. Braking and handling are optimized.
Not when the front of the tow vehicle is raised. Thats why auto manufacturers ask that the front of the tow vehicle be brought back to within a certain spec. They don't require that on trucks towing 5th wheels.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:49 PM   #22

Improper loading causes sway, not wind. Its obvious that you have everything right.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:49 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
I think that may be a mistake....or apply to a really really small trailer. You would need an awfully big truck to meet that criteria as you said you are pulling an 8800 lb trailer.

An F450s GVWR at 14K wouldn't even cut it.
I believe this one will work without a WDH with sway control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Vicksburg-Vicksburg National Battlefield 08.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	536.2 KB
ID:	365709  
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway