Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Ever Wonder Why?

I've been thinking. I know that's a dangerous thing, generally. lol

But have you ever wondered why we flush with fresh water in our homes? I mean it certainly isn't a necessity to flush the toilet with the cleanest water available. I know there are systems that can flush with grey water from the grey water sources in the home.... but what about trailers? It's been a while since I've even been in a self contained trailer... seems to me they all used some sort of scented blue chemically treated water. Are there systems that utilize grey water?
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grey Water?

Have you smelled grey water? Would you want that smell in your coach?

Recycled water perhaps.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #3

LOL yes, the systems I've seen for homes have a sort of filtering system and some sort of sanitizing so I don't think the smell would be an issue.

AQUS® Water Reuse System | Sloan
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
When we boondock, we save the dish water in the dishpan and use it to flush the toilet. Seems to work OK and not too stinky. Also keeps the gray tank from filling up as fast ......
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

That is one way to do it. I like that idea.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #6

We use the shower water by catching in a dish as we wait for the hot water to through. To keep the loo smelling a bit better we use a nappysan type product which has maximum 34% sodium percarbonate as the active ingredient. A lot o free oxygen to work on the solids. Remember: if its yellow let mellow, if its brown send it down!
Saves flush water too
BEAR0834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
But have you ever wondered why we flush with fresh water in our homes?
Because we are a civilized society and have that privilege.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMFAM View Post
Because we are a civilized society and have that privilege.
LOL! Seriously? I don't think that flushing with fresh water makes us civilized. IMHO
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #9

It has got to cost less to flush with fresh, potable water than to build and maintain an entire grey or non-potable water system in towns and cities.
If you're on your own - off grid- than a non-potable water system in addition to a potable system would be ideal.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

I wouldn't expect a city to do something like that but I think a home owner could retrofit a home fairly cheaply.