Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #15

On a half ton there is surprisingly little holding the axle shafts in. I know of a fellow who overloaded his 1/2t , easy to do with machine parts, and blew his axle shafts.

I know the manufacturers have beefed up their 1/2t s , but older 1/2t s used the same parts as the full size station wagons. I know I appreciated the much lower cost of parts compared to 3/4t . 1/2t, a HD car, a 3/4t a truck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #16

I hate the fact that determining what you can really tow is a complicated puzzle. Unfortunately, most truck sales people and even many trailer salespeople focus only on maximum tow rating and they ignore max payload, hitch rating, axle ratings, etc.

When I was shopping for a trailer in 2019, it took me a long time to figure my truck’s options and capabilities. I had to review the original window sticker, the RPO codes for my specific truck, the GMC trailering guide, my owner’s manual, and finally the door jamb sticker on my truck. I took little bits of information from each source and pieced it all together. For example, my truck’s factory hitch is rated for 700 lbs. However, when digging into the owner’s manual, I found that it’s rated for 700 lbs. when towing “on the ball” in a weight carrying fashion, and 1,250 lbs. when towing with a weight distribution hitch. My truck was equipped from the factory with the GMC “trailering equipment package”. I asked my sales person what that was, and he had no idea. It wasn’t listed in the brochures or the trailering guide. I finally found it online and determined that it was simply a hitch and trailer wiring connection (7-pin and 4-pin).

As mentioned above, payload rating and often axle ratings come into play more than maximum tow rating when towing a travel trailer. My Airstream weighed just shy of 5,300 lbs. when loaded for camping and it had a measured tongue weight of about 635 lbs. When fully loaded for camping, we were close to our payload limit and under our axle limits by a couple of hundred pounds. There’s no way that I could have towed a larger/heavier travel trailer and stayed under my limits, even though the truck was rated to tow 9,500 lbs.

The keys to a comfortable towing experience include knowing your actual weights, balancing your load properly, and using a weight distribution hitch that’s properly configured.

Good luck and I hope you find a setup that works well for you!
Old 04-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't get this new wave of 1/2 tons towing these larger, heavier trailers up to 11,000lbs?? Am I missing something lol. Geez, most of us experienced RV'ers understand what's towable and what's not, safely anyways. Do the manufacturers not think about this?? Always, buyer beware!
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
I don't get this new wave of 1/2 tons towing these larger, heavier trailers up to 11,000lbs?? Am I missing something lol. Geez, most of us experienced RV'ers understand what's towable and what's not, safely anyways. Do the manufacturers not think about this?? Always, buyer beware!
Back in 2010 I had an F150 Supercrew 145" WB 4x4 5.5" bed 5.4 with 3.73 gears and Max Tow, not the HDPP. It was rated at around 11,300 IIRC. I had 1857 lbs of payload. I had a canopy on the truck plus a bunch of camp gear/stuff in the bed. The TT was 31' @7200+/- lbs. With the TT tongue weight and all the stuff on/in the truck the RAWR was at 4,000 lbs. GRAWR was 4050 lbs. Besides the 5.4 being a big dog I couldn't fathom hooking up to 11K lbs.
That TT was all I would ever want to tow behind that truck.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote