Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing zipp View Post
Fellow ORV owner here. I apparently bent both axles last year and had inside wear on all 4 tires. Washington Auto Carriage in Spokane replaced the axles. Now, I will NOT recommend this shop! However, Dexter Axle did come through with some partial payment for the work.
I replaced one tire, and decided to wing it for a 6900 mile ride we just returned from. The remaining tires didn't show any abnormal wear at all from the trip.
Back to Dexter, check with them before you decide how you're going to proceed---I didn't and it was my bad. GRRRRRRR.
Good luck and see ya out there.
Interesting - any idea as to how they got bent? I've been wondering about the inflation tables - there seems to be some debate about just running at max cold sidewall pressure vs pressure based on loaded axle weights. The tire loading sticker from ORV calls for 80 which is the max sidewall pressure on the Endurance and that's what I've been running with. My loaded axle weight will run between 6700-7300 depending on whether I have full fresh water or not. Tongue weight is ~1200. At 7300 that is less than 2000 per tire. Based on the Endurance inflation table I could run as low as 45-50 and still have a few hundred lbs. per tire margin over the loaded weight but that sure seems a bit low to me.

If anybody is using the inflation tables to adjust their pressure based on loaded axle weights, what's the rule of thumb or guideline for picking an appropriate pressure from the table? I'm thinking the 80 is perhaps a bit too stiff for the weights I'm running, given the GVWR for the trailer is 9995.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #16

I've got about 8200+/- on my axles with my 25RDS. I run 70 psi. I had a both axles re-aligned this spring. The left rear tire was wearing on the inside edge pretty good.
The other 3 were wearing perfect. So I'm staying at 70 psi.
FWIW my last 3 trailers needed alignments. All 3 were different brands.
AL-CO, Lippert and now Dexter. The guy that did the last 2 alignments says that anytime they install new axles they still do an alignment since even brand new axles can be tweaked or the springs hangers aren't perfect.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I've got about 8200+/- on my axles with my 25RDS. I run 70 psi. I had a both axles re-aligned this spring. The left rear tire was wearing on the inside edge pretty good.
The other 3 were wearing perfect. So I'm staying at 70 psi.
FWIW my last 3 trailers needed alignments. All 3 were different brands.
AL-CO, Lippert and now Dexter. The guy that did the last 2 alignments says that anytime they install new axles they still do an alignment since even brand new axles can be tweaked or the springs hangers aren't perfect.
Thank you for the feedback. I think I'll give 70 a try as well. Interesting that you had similar wear pattern on same tire - the other 3 on mine appear to be wearing normal as well. This is my first dual axle camper so still learning more about the care & feeding of that part of things. The new tires should be here by early next week and I've got the alignment scheduled for first week of August. We'll take the relatively short 300 mile trip to the North Cascades later this month and everything will be checked out and adjusted if needed by the time we head south to Lassen/Medicine Lake/Lava Beds in mid September.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #18

We discovered similar wear (although ours was more even across the width of the front tires and not as severe). We've assumed it's because of uneven weight distribution, and that our hitch ball is too low, causing our TT to nose down slightly and put more weight on the front 2 tires.

When we get back from our current midweek getaway, I'm going to raise the hitch and see if we get a more level ride. Then I'm going to rotate the tires. And while I've got enough tread to get me through the summer and fall, I'm going to probably replace them before my 3,000-mile round trip to the South this Thanksgiving.

Which raises a good question: What type of mileage should you expect out of a set of Goodyear Endurance tires before needing to replace them?
Vermont_Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
New Endurance tires arrived at Discount Tire a day early so I was able to get them put on today. Over the w/e I'll finish adjusting the brakes, re-calibrate the TPMS for a 70psi inflation and give it a spin around the block. Decent date codes on the new tires - 3 are 0521 and 1 is 0821.

After I have the alignment checked in early August I'll report back the results of that to close the loop on this issue. Thanks again for all the great feedback and suggestions - much appreciated.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:18 PM   #20

I just noticed your thread. I doubt your issues are due to the bearing, most likely your axle is bent which will change the camber and cause the wear you are experiencing. Most travel trailers don’t have over size axles so if you are running down the highway and hit a pot hole or other obstacle in your path you easily end the axle. It can also be done when twisting the trailer in an extremely tight turn.

My recommendation if you are installing new tires would be to have the axle alignment checked. With a little research you can probably get a close idea yourself on level ground.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I just noticed your thread. I doubt your issues are due to the bearing, most likely your axle is bent which will change the camber and cause the wear you are experiencing. Most travel trailers don’t have over size axles so if you are running down the highway and hit a pot hole or other obstacle in your path you easily end the axle. It can also be done when twisting the trailer in an extremely tight turn.

My recommendation if you are installing new tires would be to have the axle alignment checked. With a little research you can probably get a close idea yourself on level ground.
The axles are definitely not undersized. It has a pair of Dexter D52's which the sticker rates at 5100lb each. GVWR of the trailer is 10k and average scaled loaded trailer weight is between 8000-8500 with 1200 on the tongue. That leaves 6800-7500 on the axles, well below the 10200 capacity for the pair. The new tires are on, the bearing re-adjusted and with a few hundred miles on it so far things look good. I do have an alignment scheduled for 8/5 as I want to be able to confirm there isn't an issue with the axles, and on the off-chance there is, get it corrected.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #22

It sounds that based on your weights you in theory should be fine. Even though you are not overloaded it is possible to have a bent axle possibly from the factory, I have seen that before. Hopefully what repairs you have made eliminate your issue.

I had 3-5200LB axles under a fifth wheel RV I had with 15” tires. The tires handled the load quite easily but two of my axles got bent during normal use. Just thought I would share my experience. Hopefully you don’t have the same experience.

Good luck and let us know how your alignment comes out.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback Piros1 - much appreciated. This is my first tandem axle trailer so still learning some of the finer points around multiple axles and their maintenance and upkeep. I will definitely post the alignment results after that is checked out.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Thanks for the feedback Piros1 - much appreciated. This is my first tandem axle trailer so still learning some of the finer points around multiple axles and their maintenance and upkeep. I will definitely post the alignment results after that is checked out.

I have the same issue , I removed my front axle I was slightly bent between backing plate and u bolts , took it to local shop , they make new axles from schedule 40 pipe, much stronger than lippert ones, in fact they stopped buying them because they are junk.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4210.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	847.5 KB
ID:	337500
Timtoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:41 PM   #25

Timtoolman honestly Lippert is not the axle to buy, if you want a good axle you want to go with Dexter. They make a much better quality.

Was the axle on your tailgate the custom axle you were referring to? That does look like a nice axle.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
Timtoolman honestly Lippert is not the axle to buy, if you want a good axle you want to go with Dexter. They make a much better quality.

Was the axle on your tailgate the custom axle you were referring to? That does look like a nice axle.

No that’s the lippert I took in to shop to get replaced , that thing is so light , must be pretty thin
Timtoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtoolman View Post
No that’s the lippert I took in to shop to get replaced , that thing is so light , must be pretty thin
The mechanic that re-bent my Lippert axles on my 2nd TT said they felt soft. He added extra camber.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #28

I'm late to the table but would echo some of the others;

- probably an alignment issue - could have been that way from new or pothole/curb, etc.

- rotating the tires doesn't solve the root problem but can certainly extend tire life

- I doubt it's the bearings

regarding tire inflation, I go by the inflation tables BUT adjust up for safety and because the downsides of low tire pressures are far worse than the downsides of too much pressure. My Endurance Load Range E's are rated at 80PSI max, I only need 45psi to carry my load but run the tires at 60PSI...note my 21RBS is smaller and lighter than your trailer - I'd be comfortable with the 70psi you and Cumminsfan have talked about.

2 cents,
Dave

Tags
tire, trailer