Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Excessive Trailer Tire Wear

Looking for some feedback on potential causes for one tire wearing significantly faster than the other 3. I have about 14.5k miles on this set of Goodyear Endurance. The trailer does have a MorRyde CRE3000 suspension as well. After returning from our last ~2200 mile trip last week I noticed this abnormal wear on the left rear tire. The first attached picture is the left rear, the second attached picture is the left front. As you can see the left front looks fine and both tires on the right side also look fine. The date code for most of the tires, including the one with excessive wear is mid-2017 so about 4 years old at this point. Appreciate any suggestions as to what might be going on here. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210702_120941976.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	334462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210702_120953097_HDR.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	334463  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #2

Just guessing.

The wear could be from camber angle. The wear is only on one side, inside it appears, and that could result from that wheel being "tilted" inward at the top (camber) excessively. I don't know if camber can be set on a trailer, let alone dual wheels. It may be from damage or misaligned parts as well.

Also, the outer edge show scuffing that isn't present on the front tire. Again, not familiar with dual tire trailer suspension so that may be from the rear position of the tire having to slide around the pivot point of the front tire.

In short, from what you describe, only that tire/wheel is having an issue so the suspect is the alignment/camber of that particular wheel.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Looking for some feedback on potential causes for one tire wearing significantly faster than the other 3. I have about 14.5k miles on this set of Goodyear Endurance. The trailer does have a MorRyde CRE3000 suspension as well. After returning from our last ~2200 mile trip last week I noticed this abnormal wear on the left rear tire. The first attached picture is the left rear, the second attached picture is the left front. As you can see the left front looks fine and both tires on the right side also look fine. The date code for most of the tires, including the one with excessive wear is mid-2017 so about 4 years old at this point. Appreciate any suggestions as to what might be going on here. Thanks!

If not alignment - then could be Weight distribution that is casing the wear and the Alignment issue might just take a look.

Whatever I'd rotate it Out NOW!
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Just guessing.

The wear could be from camber angle. The wear is only on one side, inside it appears, and that could result from that wheel being "tilted" inward at the top (camber) excessively. I don't know if camber can be set on a trailer, let alone dual wheels. It may be from damage or misaligned parts as well.

Also, the outer edge show scuffing that isn't present on the front tire. Again, not familiar with dual tire trailer suspension so that may be from the rear position of the tire having to slide around the pivot point of the front tire.

In short, from what you describe, only that tire/wheel is having an issue so the suspect is the alignment/camber of that particular wheel.
Of note, we live at the end of a dead-end with a cul-de-sac. When returning I always have to make a hard right turn, almost 3/4 of a circle, then straighten out into the neighbor's driveway in order to get positioned to back in to our place. I know those kinds of turns can be hard on the tires and suspension but the reality is over the life of this trailer I would guess I've done that around 15-20 times total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
If not alignment - then could be Weight distribution that is casing the wear and the Alignment issue might just take a look.

Whatever I'd rotate it Out NOW!
As I type I've got that axle off the ground and the wheel has been pulled. I'm putting the spare on it and I think I'll see if I can find a general trailer repair shop close by and have them take a look at it. I checked for any excessive play in the bearings and compared it to the right rear. Both seem to be about the same - just a tiny bit of play from the finger-tight castle nut and nothing I would consider excessive. The dinette slide is on that side of the trailer and the center of the slide is just forward of the front axle. When hitched the trailer is level and in terms of loaded trailer weight the last couple of trips have been on the lighter side at around 8K of the 9995 GVWR.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback and things to consider.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I am wondering now if there has been a little bit too much play in the bearings on that hub. With the weight on it that would certainly cause it to favor the inside of the tire. I loosened the castle nut, re-torqued it to spec, backed it off and then finger-tightened it again. This time there is definitely less play than before. I inspected and repacked the bearings back in March before our first trip of the season so I've got no one to blame but myself if that's the case... . That trip plus the one we just finished totaled about 4400 miles of towing. Hub temps on both trips were right in line with what I consider normal which is ~20-25 degrees above ambient temperature. If there is a possibility of that being the issue my next thought is should I preemptively replace that set of bearings.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I am wondering now if there has been a little bit too much play in the bearings on that hub. With the weight on it that would certainly cause it to favor the inside of the tire. I loosened the castle nut, re-torqued it to spec, backed it off and then finger-tightened it again. This time there is definitely less play than before. I inspected and repacked the bearings back in March before our first trip of the season so I've got no one to blame but myself if that's the case... . That trip plus the one we just finished totaled about 4400 miles of towing. Hub temps on both trips were right in line with what I consider normal which is ~20-25 degrees above ambient temperature. If there is a possibility of that being the issue my next thought is should I preemptively replace that set of bearings.
You may be on to something if the loose bearing does, in fact, allow for negative camber.

Can’t offer opinion on bearing replacement on a trailer. Still, if they did not over heat or suffer mechanical damage from being loose, they are probably still good. Cheap insurance and peace of mind to replace, however.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Right now that seems to be the most likely cause for the issue. When I re-torqued and set the castle nut again I was a little surprised at how much less play there was. I know there was definitely no real discrepancy in hub temp between this one and the other 3. I carry a IR gun and usually check them every time we stop for fuel or a rest break. All within a few degrees of each other the whole trip which is pretty typical.

In the meantime I went looking for some Goodyear Endurance tires to replace the 4 on the axles. The spare has a newer date code of mid-2018 so I see no need to replace that at this time. Best I could do was the local Discount Tire where they still had to order them up from the AZ distribution center. Should get here by the 12th which gives me time to decide if I'm going to do anything with the bearing. Our next trip is on the 21st but is quite close to home - only ~150 miles out. I may see how things do on that trip. I do carry a couple complete sets of Timkens and everything needed to swap them.

I will likely have it out for a spin or two before then anyway as it seems the Nev-R Adjust brakes are doing just that - never adjusting. Had this issue the first year we had the trailer so I'll likely just self-adjust them again as I don't want to tear all 4 hubs off again right now.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If they are the factory bearings it might be time to just swap in that set of new Timkens you have and be done with it. At least the one but eventually all since the factory bearings have had an occasional issue. Most of those issues have been from improper installation but still not worth the risk.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #9

You may check axle alignment yourself if you desire: https://www.centrevilletrailer.com/c...wear-made-easy
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You may check axle alignment yourself if you desire: https://www.centrevilletrailer.com/c...wear-made-easy
Thanks for the link - it looks fairly straightforward so I'll dig up a long straightedge and give it a try. Appreciate it!
Old 07-05-2021, 10:59 PM   #11
ODH

I had the exact same thing happen to my Goodyear Endurance left rear tire after about 12,000 miles. When I took the wheel in to a tire shop to have thye tire replaced, the owner told me were the tire was mounted immediately. He said he observes this problem frequently on dual axis trailers. There is most probably nothing wrong with your bearings. He said the only way to reduce the problem is to rotate the tires to even out the wear. I also have to make a very tight turn (120 deg) from a 7% downward slope street to a 5% upward slope driveway, which most likely makes the tire wear worse.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODH View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to my Goodyear Endurance left rear tire after about 12,000 miles. When I took the wheel in to a tire shop to have thye tire replaced, the owner told me were the tire was mounted immediately. He said he observes this problem frequently on dual axis trailers. There is most probably nothing wrong with your bearings. He said the only way to reduce the problem is to rotate the tires to even out the wear. I also have to make a very tight turn (120 deg) from a 7% downward slope street to a 5% upward slope driveway, which most likely makes the tire wear worse.
I have to admit I've not been rotating the tires and as I've been looking further into this it's clear that I should be. That will start with the new set of tires. I went ahead and made an appt for the alignment to be checked at a local trailer/hitch shop that I've used in the past for a variety of things. Unfortunately they can't get me in until the first week of August but that should be fine. We have a much longer trip coming up in mid-September so everything should be checked out and in good shape before then.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #13

Sunshine Service in Sparks, NV is the best you’ll find when it comes to alignment issues. Yes, they do trailers, with all different suspensions, including torsion axels.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:55 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fellow ORV owner here. I apparently bent both axles last year and had inside wear on all 4 tires. Washington Auto Carriage in Spokane replaced the axles. Now, I will NOT recommend this shop! However, Dexter Axle did come through with some partial payment for the work.
I replaced one tire, and decided to wing it for a 6900 mile ride we just returned from. The remaining tires didn't show any abnormal wear at all from the trip.
Back to Dexter, check with them before you decide how you're going to proceed---I didn't and it was my bad. GRRRRRRR.
Good luck and see ya out there.

Tags
tire, trailer