Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #1

Extended Service Plans

Does anyone have any pro or con recommendations regarding Extended Service Plans? I have an offer from Good Sam Club but am a little bit skeptical about such things. My trailer is a 2022 Flagstaff Microlite. And it's already had enough minor problems to tempt me to get coverage in case something really hits the fan.
fwschreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #2

I have never had one. I'm pretty handy and except for some major problems can fix most anything on my TT with some Youtube/Google/RV forum help.

Except for gas lines and slide outs RV's are just cheaply built rolling houses. There's no secret way they're put together. Once you pull a drawer out or remove an access panel the build process becomes evident.

If you're not handy then an extended warranty may be worth it. Only issue is some extended warranties require yearly inspections which is done at the RV owners cost. Work can be denied as well for reasons that the warranty company may deem as your fault or may not be covered as you thought it was.

I've bought 4 RV trailers and was only offered a warranty at the time of purchase on two of them. IMO it's a money maker for the warranty company as they bank on the possibility that the majority of RV's won't have major repairs. So that in it's self is an indicator that most RV owners will never need an extended warranty. Most issues occur early on within the 1st 1-2 years where the factory and parts warranties are still in place.
Hypothetically you could stash away the cost of the warranty and if needed it should cover all but the worst of the worst repairs.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #3

Agree with the above post....so ditto.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had an ESC on one RV that more than paid for itself and another that would not pay on much of anything.

Since, we have not had one of an RV. Be sure you get a copy of the contract and thoroughly read through what is and is not covered. Make sure you have the option of a full refund in the first 30 days so you can review the policy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #5

ESPs are the highest profit item for rv dealers. That should tell you something. And as always, the law of large numbers always favors the party selling the service agreement. Not say they won’t honor it, but there will be quarrels over what’s covered and what’s not. The only way you can win by buying an ESP is if you’re very lucky (or is that unlucky) and have a covered claim that has a repair costing more than the policy premium. It’s like going to Vegas and betting against the house. Additionally, there are precious few independent repair shops that will accept your ESP. So good luck in finding a shop that will, and if you’re lucky enough to find one, you could be waiting for months for service.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had my MH (Chassis & House) repaired at independent shops and mobile repairmen all over the USA and never had anyone refuse to accept my policy. I wouldn't buy a policy on a pull trailer as I could repair anything that broke, not so on a MH.

Just my opinion, your opinion may be different.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
There are times, I suppose, when an Extended Service contract could be a wise investment. Like if you were buying an older expensive diesel pusher motorhome with an expensive drive train, suspension, and complex systems.

A "Microlite Travel Trailer" is certainly NOT one of those times. After your warranty is up you can run into some issues that could cost some money to fix - but that's all part of owning an RV. Most items on your TT will cost in the hundreds of dollars to fix and those wouldn't even qualify for coverage by a Service Contract.

I'll be blunt with you - Camping World is trying to rip you off. They are trying to charge you thousands of dollars for a product you don't need and they are praying on your inexperience to even offer you such a product.

Besides telling them to "pound sand" you should be very wary of the entire deal and what other abuse they are trying to put you through. CW has a horrible reputation for all kinds of dubious sales tactics.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:23 PM   #8

My manufacturer's warranty was useless. I had a list of about 5 things I wanted fixed after I got my TT. I had to leave the TT with the RV dealership for 4 weeks to perform repairs I could perform in a weekend. The work performed wasn't as good as the work I would have performed. The whole experience was bad start to finish. I bought my TT about 80 miles from home. I called in advance to make a service appointment and was told no appointment was required just come in and drop it off. When I got there the service manager said I could not leave the TT. I told him I spoke with "X" and his response was well he isn't the service manager. I asked to speak with the general manager and he caved in and let me leave it. Four weeks later about 4 hours of work was performed. Decide zero chance I was ever going back. I called and spoke with the MFG about the warranty and they said any of their dealers should honor the warranty. Every dealer we called declined to honor any warranty work. Maybe there are good ones out there...
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:30 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the info. I'm past my moment of weakness and have opted NOT to get the extended service plan. On a side note to Tomahawk, I have to say my dealer has been spot on with warranty repairs. I'm not too happy with Flagstaff quality, for necessitating these road trips (140 miles, by way of NYC), but my dealer does all I can ask for on repairs. Sorry to hear yours is so lousy. I guess the new lesson is the old lesson: buyer beware.
fwschreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take the money the ESP would have cost and put it in a separate account. Add to it monthly even if it is only $5.00.
Now you have a repair fund for major work.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Extended Service Plans.........if you are not handy and risk adverse and do not have a large cash reserve, then a plan may work for you for the unforseen repair. I have a 6-yr $0 deductible policy on my fifth wheel trailer, which I used once and happy I had it, and an 8-yr $100 deductible polcy on my motorhome.........consider it cheap insurance. I know lots of rv'ers that tolerate broken down equipment (heat pumps that no longer work, leaky gas and sewer valves to name a few) because of the cost to get them repaired.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
My manufacturer's warranty was useless. I had a list of about 5 things I wanted fixed after I got my TT. I had to leave the TT with the RV dealership for 4 weeks to perform repairs I could perform in a weekend. The work performed wasn't as good as the work I would have performed. The whole experience was bad start to finish. I bought my TT about 80 miles from home. I called in advance to make a service appointment and was told no appointment was required just come in and drop it off. When I got there the service manager said I could not leave the TT. I told him I spoke with "X" and his response was well he isn't the service manager. I asked to speak with the general manager and he caved in and let me leave it. Four weeks later about 4 hours of work was performed. Decide zero chance I was ever going back. I called and spoke with the MFG about the warranty and they said any of their dealers should honor the warranty. Every dealer we called declined to honor any warranty work. Maybe there are good ones out there...

Yep, had a similar experience with our dealership. Much longer in the shop and I had to take some stuff off the list and do myself. The stuff they did?....well, I should've done that too.
NERoamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #13

I bought my TT new and got the ESP.

Had warranty issue. Dealer service said he would get approval, no problem.

18 months later I called Forest River with a detailed report of the dates, delays, lies, etc. Their head of customer service offered to sell me the parts (just a couple of hundred dollars).

Then I sent email to FR corporate with complete details, including their Customer Service offer.

The same head of Customer Service called me and said he was shipping the parts at no charge.

Amazing.

No more dealer extended service plans for me.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service