Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #1

Extending trailer tongue for place to haul motorcycle

Hey all I am looking at buying a 18 foot travel trailer. Found one we really like and it fits our needs perfectly within our price range. Only thing i wish it had is a spot to haul a 4 wheeler or my Harley sportster. I am considering removing and building a new extended tongue to be able to accommodate a spot for the bikes! Pictured id kind of what I have in mind. It wont be extended as long as this one is. Of course this one is factory made and not an extension. Have any of you done or have seen this done before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toy-Hauler-Travel-Trailers-550x413.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	348746  
workshoprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #2

Are you a welder/fabricator?

That one in picture has full length frame rails NOT pieced together sections

Heck even factory frames fail

So what you are extending may already be marginal ....Yikes
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

Man that plan is gonna change your hitch weight! IMO it will require a MDT and a custom-made trailer hitch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #4

Actually yesI am as well as many other things! I wouldn't trust this fabrication to anyone but me! To be honest the failure in your picture is not of the trailer frame. The failure is of the trailer tongue frame which is of a different type of construction and attached to the trailer main frame! The failure is also compounded by the use of weight distribution device increasing the bending moment on the already maxed out tongue frame to compensate for an inadequate towing rig properly rated for the load its hauling!
Old 11-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Man that plan is gonna change your hitch weight! IMO it will require a MDT and a custom-made trailer hitch.
What is an mdt? Pretty sure my f tree fitty will handle the increased load of a Harley sportster! I know i have had far greater tongue weight on it than what this would impose! also more than likely it will get pulled by my freightliner dump truck for out of town jobs. I know there definitely won't be an issue there!

My bigger concern and where I would like to see if anyone has done this and had issue with the stock portion of the trailer frame and its ability to handle the stresses from the new load. Wondering if any has done this and had issues in that area
Old 11-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #6

Have you considered a toy hauler? That seems to be the current solution to do what you want.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Have you considered a toy hauler? That seems to be the current solution to do what you want.

Yes i have. Just cannot find anything in my price range. This seems to be the best solution to do ehat i want in my price range. Also i will be using this fir out of town dump truck work. Would like to be able to haul a portable air compressor and a few spare tires. Dont really want that inside with me stinking it up lol!
Old 11-13-2021, 05:33 AM   #8

I would think that the issues that would concern me would be the strength of the existing trailer frame and the capacity of the axles. you could make the extension as strong as necessary but tt manufacturers are not known for overbuilding anything. the exact opposite is true.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #9

The only problem you might have is excess tongue weight without moving the axles on the trailer. Reinforcing the existing trailer frame to the axle may also be required.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshoprat View Post
Actually yesI am as well as many other things! I wouldn't trust this fabrication to anyone but me! To be honest the failure in your picture is not of the trailer frame. The failure is of the trailer tongue frame which is of a different type of construction and attached to the trailer main frame! The failure is also compounded by the use of weight distribution device increasing the bending moment on the already maxed out tongue frame to compensate for an inadequate towing rig properly rated for the load its hauling!
Exactly.....
Extension failure

Not a true statement. WDH can be used properly
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #11

They cut motorhome chassis on half and stretch them.

Don't see them laying on the road bent in half.

I see it as doable as long as tongue weight is addressed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #12

Buy the 18' camper you want. Remove the axles. Drop it on a 24' open trailer. Voila, 6' of open space for toys. And axles and frame that are up to the task.

(Somewhat common thing to do in the off road toy world. Often pickup campers are dropped onto the front of a long gooseneck trailer, leaving a large rear deck for an off road truck or buggy.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #13

I've done my fair share of welding and fabing stuff. If I had the room to do it and I was in your shoes I'd be all over it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #14

Went ahead and bought the trailer today. Ita a new to me 2011 eclipse milan. The f350 didnt even know it was back there. Solid as a brick at highway speeds with no load leveler! When i hooked it up it squated an inch at the most! I really don't think a 4-6 foot extension is gona be an issue with my tow rig! That ford is a beast of a towing machine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211113_125653_105.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	348790  

Tags
ace, trailer, motor