RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #1

Fan question

No debate intended here between the max air or the fantastic fan. Iím wondering if they accomplish what Iím looking for. On a warm day my trailer tends to be about 4 degrees or so warmer inside than out. My TT didnít come with an exhaust fan per se, other than the cheesy fan in the bath that does work to remove the shower humidity and thatís about it. Iím thinking of having one of the two brands installed hoping it would equalize the outside and inside temperature. Is my expectations realistic? My neighbor has a fantastic fan in his fifth wheel and he says it doesnít do anything. I doubt that since Iíve seen many rave about theirs. Iím hoping to reduce my need for AC. I have an exhaust fan in my home that works wonders. Since there is power in my bath Iíll probably put it there. Thereís a ceiling vent in the bedroom as well but I think the bath is more practical. Your thoughts?
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #2

I have a Maxx Aire in my living room and one in the bathroom. We'll open the windows and turn the fan on blowing out and it will cool the rig nicely. Can be difficult to cool down in the bright sun depending on how well you're insulated.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #3

Yes, no, kinda, maybe. It is all about creating air flow.

In an older trailer I had with no air, but 2 vents had 2 Fantastics. I would set one to "in" and one to "out". It moved a fair amount of air, but hot was still hot......

In my current RV I only have one vent (in kitchen) that can have a fan in it. It does have a Fantastic also. If open many/all of the windows and doors the fan does not help. If I open the bedroom window, and put a fan there to help draw in air, and turn the Fantastic to "out" it will create air flow which helps and can be felt. Again hot is hot.

I find this works best for us in the evening when it starts cooling down outside.

Again it is about creating air flow.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #4

Thank you. Iím not confident to tackle the job myself so will pay the dealer when I get back home. I need to take it in for a wheel repack anyways. My goal is if itís 75 outside Iíd like it to be 75 inside not 82. That goal may not be realistic but Iíd
Ike to be close. I find when the sun goes down and I turn the air off itís about 74 outside but the inside temp climbs up to 80 or so after I shut the air off. My bet is the trailer is heated up on the outside from the days son. Hopefully the fan will battle that. I hate running AC and I only use it at home if itís absolutely miserable.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #5

pj48009, My wife hated AC just like you do, but I've finally convinced her to start the AC before she gets hot and run it longer after the outside cools down. There is a lot of heat sink in the walls and roof of your RV. It takes time to cool it all down after a hot day and a fan won't do it. As far as fans go, if only one, set it to exhaust and open a single window a bit to get the airflow you want. If your RV will take it install a ceiling fan where you have a 120v light. You need 12v at the vent where you want the ceiling fan. The bath has 12v for sure, if your other vent is not prewired, it could be between expensive and impossible to get 12v to it.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #6

I guess the question at the end of the day is will it be worth it to spend about 400 dollars to install one? I’m guessing at the price right now between fan cost and labor.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #7

The $400 price seems awfully high. We had one put into our travel trailer about a year ago and the cost was less than half of that. We do enjoy the improved air flow.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #8

Good to know. Thanks
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #9

Have 3.....One in bedroom, one in bathroom, one in living room

Bathroom is on exhaust and is only turned on when pooping or showering

Bedroom/Living room
One on exhaust/one on blowing air in
Both have thermostats that will open/turn it on based on temp set point then if/when temp set point is reached the thermostats will close/ turn them off

During the day...bedroom one blows in/living room one exhausts
During the night at bedtime...swap them around

Helps in 'warm' weather and small window open helps improve the 'breeze'

Works for us.......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #10

Thanks everyone.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #11

We have one of them, not sure which brand, in our fifth wheel in the kitchen. We don't use it for cooling the camper, but it is super nice to have when we cook inside. We have not done that a lot, but it sure kept us from smoking things up when we made bacon for breakfast!

Tags
fan