Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #1

Fibreglass repair?

Hi, I'm Riley from sunny Canada lol.

I have a 2012 coyote and was wondering if anyone knows what the side wall is made from? Is it sandwiched fibreglass on a foam core or maybe aluminum frame?

I have a slight issue with mine that I'm hoping to be able to repair. The area affected measures about 40" length by 3" height. Hopefully you can see it on the attached photo.

The bulge seems hard and can't be pressed in and can be seen inside and outside the trailer, same shape and size. If it's something structural like wood or aluminum I was thinking about taking it out and replacing it. Hopefully the inside wall would then be able to be pushed back in? Has anyone done such a repair? Any assistance or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I have not used any technical terms or maybe even the wrong terms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	257696  
rileyroo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #2

First off fiberglass is about the easiest stuff in the world to work with, just be mindful of pot time. That said it you have the same thing inside and out it sounds like something is swelling. Maybe wood, maybe rusting steel, I don't know. The first thing to do is figure out what is causing the bulge and remediate that problem. After that the glass is easy. Fiberglass (polyester) resin is all pretty much the same although you should probably get laminating resin for what you are doing. Find Solarez on the Internet they're awesome but may have a minimum quantity of a gallon. I might call the manufacturer and see if they can shed any light on the issue. You might also ask them what kind of resin to use, there's a small chance it may be epoxy. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #3

I am no fiberglass expert. But let me ask you this, what problem is this bulge causing? Cracking, de-lamination? Is it so ugly you cannot bear to look at it? Otherwise I suggest following the first law of engineering: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Fixing may make for a lot more problems.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
I am no fiberglass expert. But let me ask you this, what problem is this bulge causing? Cracking, de-lamination? Is it so ugly you cannot bear to look at it? Otherwise I suggest following the first law of engineering: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Fixing may make for a lot more problems.
Hi Agesilaus, I appreciate you taking the time to reply To be honest, I guess where the bulge never got any larger it isn't really causing any problem, other than I find it an eyesore. I do keep thinking though about what you say with regards to fixing it might lead to more problems, which I'm definitely on the fence on. One option might be just to sell at a loss and move onto something else.
rileyroo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That appears to be water intrusion from the slide seals. It looks like it is following a framing member from the corner of the slide and is more at likely swelling wood. It may shrink a little if you get it dried out but you could get wood for and mold in it's place
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #6

Well you could use a small 1/8 inch or smaller drill bit and drill into the bulge to see if any water comes out. That small hole can be patched with a bit of epoxy
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair