Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Finally got it weighed

Finally got my truck and trailer weighed. Came out much lighter than I expected with being full timers. Am I to assume from this slip that my truck weighs 8260lbs and my trailer weighs 8140? Also, i need more weight distribution correct?
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Finally got my truck and trailer weighed. Came out much lighter than I expected with being full timers. Am I to assume from this slip that my truck weighs 8260lbs and my trailer weighs 8140? Also, i need more weight distribution correct?
need more info. How much does the truck weigh by itself and how much does the truck weight with the trailer hitched but only the truck on the scale? Need to know what the hitch tongue weight is. Remember, if you have anything in the bed of the truck BEHIND the rear axle, that counts as tongue wieght also.

So you need to weight it the following way:
1. Truck Weight with Trailer attached (with only truck on scale)
2. Truck Weight WITHOUT trailer attached
3. Weight of anything in the bed behind the rear axle

Take #1 - #2 = X +#3

That number should be roughly 10-20% (814-1628lbs) of the trailer wieght (8140lbs)
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are you using any WD set up now?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

I am using an equalizer 4pt 14k hitch.
I only got the whole setup weighed after seeing the numbers because I thought it got everything in one pass. For some reason I forgot the tongue weight adding to the drive axle weight for some reason lol
Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
I am using an equalizer 4pt 14k hitch.
I only got the whole setup weighed after seeing the numbers because I thought it got everything in one pass. For some reason I forgot the tongue weight adding to the drive axle weight for some reason lol
A 14k weight distribution hitch may be (actually is) too much for your trailer. You perhaps should have gone with a 10k or at most a 12k hitch. Reason being that going too stiff on the trunion can cause poor weight distribution and be dangerous when towing. Remember that the bars need to flex when steering and going over inclined and uneven roads. When your bars are too stiff, they can potentially damaged either your hitch or trailer frame and sheer your L brackets. Its actually happened. I suggest purchasing the 10k trunions as they should drop into your hitch head.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

Take a few close up pics of your setup. The hitch and trailer hooked up as well as a larger side shot. We can give you a better guess if we see how you're sitting at the hitch, trunions, and overall
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Take a few close up pics of your setup. The hitch and trailer hooked up as well as a larger side shot. We can give you a better guess if we see how you're sitting at the hitch, trunions, and overall
Agreed, this will help a lot. Also maybe a side shot of the truck before you hitch up the trailer.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

What's the front of the truck measure? According to Ford the front of the truck should be returned to 50%-0% of its original unloaded height. Get the front set up correctly the level the TT accordingly.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

So here's a pic of the setup and the weights from yesterday. So from the scales it looks like I didn't have enough weight distribution and so I raised my L brackets which I believe helped but I didn't get it reweighed. Anyway I think I'm going to lower them down 1 since it felt a little heavy when steering. I took measurements before doing all this and the truck sat at its normal ride height, but it felt like there was no tension in the bars. Now after adjusting the brackets there is tension for sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439403229395.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	103023   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439403271920.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	103024  

Old 08-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #10

From the picture it looks like the front of the trailer is sitting high and the back of your truck is sitting low. This means you need to drop you hitch head (ball) down several spots on the shank. It looks way too high on the picture. Also, tilt the head back a few degrees and lower your L brackets so the spring bars are almost parallel to the trailer frame. This will raise the truck up by apply more pressure to the spring bars and L brackets while at the same time lowring the from of your trailer to level it out.

Can you please take a closer, clear picture of the hitch and trailer both connected and unconnected but close together?