Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 AM   #1

Finally saw Artic Fox Trailers east of the Mississippi

I am visiting family and friends in Pa. and made time to stop in West Milton Pa at Kelly RV. I saw one 5th wheel and 3 trailers. Also saw a Nash Trailer.

They were very nice and solid. It was a hot day but the trailers were cool(ish) inside. I guess that might tell you something.

It was really good to finally see these trailers. They had 15" Goodyear Endurace Tires solar on the roof with an additional solar port. Where the Lance Trailer was built small the Artic Fox is 8.5' wide and built big.

Next trailer to look at is the Grand Design Imagine at Ansley RV in Altoona Pa.

I am staying in my 2013 Keystone Vantage 25RBS. This trailer has 16" tires, 4,400lb. axles and is big. The walls are convexxed outward and the ceiling is crowned. Now mildly thinking my current trailer is nicer than a new trailer....ugh.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #2

Now you're on your way, you have a real baseline to compare. Did you notice the 2" thick walls? Their crowned roof is over 6-1/2' tall inside, even with all that insulation, of course much taller outside.

What did you think about that huge frame, and do the Arctic Fox trailers also have the shock absorbers? Thermal pane windows would have to help with maintaining temperatures. It's the little stuff that you don't always see that impresses me. Drawer glides, drawer construction, even the residential style cabinet construction. The heavy duty welded and bonded aluminum wall, even the wood frame truss ceiling is a bonus to absorb shock and vibration.

Seems those Grand Designs are slick and glamorous, but pay attention to the construction and frame. Although I'd speculate a BAL frame (good), since Winnebago owns Grand Design, I doubt it's as tough as the Arctic Fox frame.

Good Luck!
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

I am staying in my 2013 Keystone Vantage 25RBS. This trailer has 16" tires, 4,400lb. axles and is big. The walls are convexxed outward and the ceiling is crowned. Now mildly thinking my current trailer is nicer than a new trailer....ugh.
Ah the seductive lure of sirens. Perhaps what you need is what you already have.

Having never seen a Vantage I had to look up the 25RBS and it appears to be very nice trailer.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

The Vantage trailer was an experiment by Keystone to try to build a fiberglass trailer to compete with Airstream. Only built in 2012 and 2013 in a failed attempt.

Over built frame and axles. Big and very nice inside.

Lacks some of the newest features but everything still works with no problems.

I do see a new trailer in my future but now more distant than immediate.

I asked the salesman if they would hook one up so I could run a cooling test he said probably with enough notice.

The test would be bogus because the A/C on the Lance was tested on a hot day in Florida which does not compare to a hot day in West Milton Pa.

Maybe I will run an opposite test if I come back in November for Thanksgiving. See how well it heats.

For some reason I envision staying in the cold...ugh
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Normal_Dave - I will look at Artic Fox again while in Pa. Google says the dealership Kelly RV in West Milton is only 2 hours away. My Keystone Vantage 25RBS is a very nice trailer, just not insulated very well.
I'm replying here since I think it's more "Arctic Fox" relevant.

Since you're heading back to Kelly RV for a second look at the Arctic Fox, and I'm always looking for the most for the least...let me show you this trick:

What if you could get Arctic Fox; similar insulation, and quality frame and construction at a bargain price? Compare the specs and floor plan of this Arctic Fox 25Y:
Northwood | Arctic Fox 25Y

To this Northwood Nash 26N: (Kelly has a 2017, nicely optioned, at a great deal!)
Northwood | Nash 26N

At a glance, the primary difference is the aluminum wall stud/block foam insulation in the Fox, and the wood stud wall/fiberglass insulation in the Nash. Beyond that, mechanically very similar. Cosmetically, yes different, Arctic Fox much more luxurious, but if a fella wanted the quality, strength, and insulation qualities similar to an Arctic Fox at a great price, well I'd be walking back and forth with my checklist comparing the two. They are made in the same factory, just targeted to different market audiences.

Nash 26N walk through
https://youtu.be/kMn26bRoZrU

Arctic Fox 25Y walk through
https://youtu.be/daFnvBbxras

There, wasn't that fun? Go check it out, and enjoy the savings...

Edit: if you are interested in the floor plans, call ahead, have them parked side by side, plugged in and ready for a tour!
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #6

I think if I buy an Artic Fox I will never think I should have bought the Nash. If I buy a Nash I will alway wonder how much better the Artic Fox would be.

I am not going to make a move on any trailer for a few months. I have Ocean Grove RV in St. Augustine noted to give me a call when the new 2 slide 24' Lance comes in, sometime in October.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

You can't go wrong with any of the any of the Northwood mfg. trailers but there are differences . The 25Y has more storage, more counter space, shock absorber type suspension , fiberglass front cap with the bedliner type material rock guard,reading lights above the couch and bed and it may be wider(check the specs). The 26 N is not as fancy but it is generator ready . It evidently comes with a rear receiver hitch and a lot of great features. I don't believe they were producing the 26n when I was shopping and then I ran into a great deal on my Arctic Fox. It was barely used and originally came from the dealer in Penn. The key chain I was given had their phone number on it and when I had some questions about one of the switches I couldn't figure out they answered my question . They seem like they know their product and were very helpful. They sure make it hard to choose don't they. Enjoy the hunt.

Tags
trailer