Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Firman dual fuel inverter generator for dry camping

Anyone in the forum has the Firman gas/propane 3200W inverter generator? They are going for $650 ($200 off) in Costco until Dec 7th. Looks like a great value comparing to similar Yamaha and Honda inverter generators. Especially with Costco backing it up. Some online reviews say it’s loud, YouTube reviews seems quite, but most of these videos are sponsored. Any first hand experience?
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

In general these portable generator suck down the propane quickly. Unless you have a strong reason to use propane, after trying it once, you will be on gasoline.
IIRC I went thru a 20# bottle in less than 16 hours.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
In general these portable generator suck down the propane quickly. Unless you have a strong reason to use propane, after trying it once, you will be on gasoline.
IIRC I went thru a 20# bottle in less than 16 hours.
How long does it run thru a tank of gas?

How about noise level?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't have the dual fuel, but have the 3200/2900 gas model. Very good generator, will do aboot 9-11 hours on tank of gas, load dependent. Yes, not as quiet as a H(blah), but not bad. And not as expensive as a H(puk), esp in this wattage area!!!

As to quiet, or sound level, also have a 2K Champion for years. Louder than Honda? Not necessarily, but different tone to the sound. Son had a 2K H, and it was as noticeable in the woods as the Champion. More shrill, esp when throttling up under load. Champion had a deeper sound. The Firman is about the same.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

As a point of reference, the Onan QG2800i, a dual fuel inverter generator, lists fuel consumption as follows:
Gas. 1/2 load full load Propane. 1/2 load. full load
.21/gph. .46/gph .31/gph. .55gph

Max power on gas is 2800w, on propane, 2500w.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #6

noise is the #1 concern for most people when it comes to generators. Honda and Yamaha inverter generators like Honda's EU series are the quietest avaiable AFAIK

I just checked and this generator is 58 dba "at it's lowest possible" compared to a Honda EU3000i which is 50db. Remember that db's are not a linear measurement and the sound intensity doubles every 3db and 10db is percieved as twice as loud...

Dave
Old 12-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
noise is the #1 concern for most people when it comes to generators. Without certified sound data, I'd pass. Honda and Yamaha inverter generators like Honda's EU series are the quietest avaiable AFAIK

Dave
The spec says 58dB. But not sure if that’s certified. BTBR on YouTube did a few review and it seems pretty quite, however these videos are sponsored by etrailer.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

I edited my earlier response. 58db is certainly louder than a Honda or Yamaha but isn't horrible. I'm spoiled as my EU100i is 42db at 25% and 50db flat out - and there are already many times where I won't run mine for consideration of others....and, of course, the 1000 isn't going to power anything large like an AC.

Dave
Old 12-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #9

I think usage is key. If boondocking with no neighbors, these are so inexpensive it might be worth a gamble. You won't hear the noise inside if you have the A/C on. If you plan to use it in a campground, bite the bullet and do the right thing. Honda, Yamaha or something of matching or better noise specs.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I think usage is key. If boondocking with no neighbors, these are so inexpensive it might be worth a gamble. You won't hear the noise inside if you have the A/C on. If you plan to use it in a campground, bite the bullet and do the right thing. Honda, Yamaha or something of matching or better noise specs.
Which online store is reliable to buy the Honda EU series? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #11

What about the Harbor Freight Predator 3500? A lot of folks seem to like it and there are tons of YouTube videos showing it to be just as quiet if not quieter than the Honda equivalent.
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLex View Post
What about the Harbor Freight Predator 3500? A lot of folks seem to like it and there are tons of YouTube videos showing it to be just as quiet if not quieter than the Honda equivalent.
I never had good experience with Harbor Freight product except pure hand tools.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
Which online store is reliable to buy the Honda EU series? Thanks.
When I bought mine many years ago, Mayberry was good. https://www.mayberrys.com/inventory/...wer/Generators
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:48 AM   #14

Firman dual fuel inverter generator for dry camping

I do a ton of boondocking with friends who all have different Genny setups.

Question: Do you need to frequently run AC?

If AC is something you'll only need occasionally I would recommend a small, quieter 2k unit. After spending most of my summer in the woods, I came to envy my buddy with his small 2k unit that sipped fuel and ran all day powering everything but the AC which we didn't need. If heading somewhere hot, you can get two and parallel them as needed. Main use is coffee maker/TV/battery charging? 2k unit for sure.

Costco sells those Yamaha powered units, but you might consider going Honda as those are crazy quiet and just seem nicely built (I've seen/heard both). Price is crazy high though, and Costco warranty always gives me peace of mind... Be$t option? Honda 2k unit. Costco 2k (ai power or something?) units are still great though.

If you will need ac frequently you'll want a bigger unit. I had a 15kbtu ac so I picked up the Westinghouse igen 4500-something or other. It's a little bigger than champions/firmans, but no louder and has more power output. Remote start/kill was something I considered essential but again I changed my view on that after seeing my buddy's 2k setup. Onan is now branding that generator I believe. Quality is meh, on par with champion/firmans, but below Honda/Yamaha. I did like the larger fuel capacity of the Westinghouse, but I think there are hacks you can do to all of these.

If you're out in the deep woods mainly, noise isn't a huge issue just get a long extension cord. Trailer parks? Get a quiet one $$$.

No experience with predator but I hear those are legit, though still no Honda/Yamaha.

I now run onboard Onan but that's a whole nother setup...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, fuel, generator, inverter