Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 05:15 AM   #1

First time buyer

My son is wanting to buy a trailer for his family to go weekend camping and one week vacations.*He has a Ford F-150 eco boost truck already. With a wife and two kids, boy 10, girl 6, he needs a bath with shower for the wife and bunk beds for the kids. I know nothing about trailers. Any recommendations on brands and models. He’s looking for something used in the 2018 to 2010 range for around $5,000 to $15,000. Thanks for your help.*
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

If you search in the Towing & Towing Vehicles here and at the Jayco Trailer forum there are threads on the F150.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
My son is wanting to buy a trailer for his family to go weekend camping and one week vacations.*He has a Ford F-150 eco boost truck already. With a wife and two kids, boy 10, girl 6, he needs a bath with shower for the wife and bunk beds for the kids. I know nothing about trailers. Any recommendations on brands and models. He’s looking for something used in the 2018 to 2010 range for around $5,000 to $15,000. Thanks for your help.*
First, I suggest that they RENT a trailer to see if the family really likes it. 2 weekends will tell you.

Second, you will be hard pressed to find those features in a NEW trailer for under $15,000. 2-4 years old, no problem.

Third, a good tow vehicle is not just about the engine. The F150 offered 2 different towing options. They included heavy duty radiator, heavy duty transmission cooler, electric brake wiring, a trailer brake controller and a different rear axle. The first 4 are must haves. If you travel on mostly flat roads, the optional rear axle is not that important.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #4

There should be LOTS of good options to fit those requirements. The only problem this year is that camping has become fairly popular due to travel restrictions and such, so even used campers are going for somewhat high prices. They need to look at lots of campers, even new ones they aren't planning on buying, to get an idea of floor plans and amenities they like. Your son also needs to research towing capacity for his specific truck, and make sure to stay well within that range. Once they get an idea of what they're looking for, check the used inventory at dealer lots, but will likely get a better deal through something like Craig's list, Facebook marketplace, RV Trader, etc. If buying used, they need to spend a lot of time going over the camper in detail before buying. Lots of threads on what to look for here, so have them do some reading, but water leaks are a big thing to be concerned about.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #5

my son bought a KZ connect Vision V22 bhs with bunks a cpl. years ago for about 15/16,000..24'. his 1500 ram pulls it fine. you could probably find a used one fo 12-13,000 I'm thinking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180413_194508.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	289008  
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #6

Ford builds 2 Eco-Boost engines for the F-150. The little 2.7 Eco-Boost that they typically put in their little F-150 with a lighter frame. Then they use the 3.5 Eco-Boost in their beefier F-150's.

I would limit the travel trailer weight to about 6,500lbs. if he has the 3.5 Eco-Boost and 5,500lbs if the 2.7 Eco-Boost.

He should be able to find a nice travel trailer with a full bathroom and two bunks plus a master bedroom.

Look at the Winnebago 2455BHS as an example. Then look for one 3 years old to get into the correct budget.

Another option is a big pop-up with 3 sleeping areas. These big pop-ups have a bathroom that folds into place.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
If you search in the Towing & Towing Vehicles here and at the Jayco Trailer forum there are threads on the F150.
Don’t need info on the F-150 need info on trailers. His Ford has the tow package with the brake controller. He’s not looking at new only used. He’s an avid camper so need to rent one first.

What I’m looking for is information on brand names to look at or avoid and maybe floor plan models with bunk beds. Hoping those who own one already will pitch in about their trailers good and bad features. Thanks.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Don’t need info on the F-150 need info on trailers. His Ford has the tow package with the brake controller. He’s not looking at new only used. He’s an avid camper so need to rent one first.

What I’m looking for is information on brand names to look at or avoid and maybe floor plan models with bunk beds. Hoping those who own one already will pitch in about their trailers good and bad features. Thanks.
Flagstaff is a great brand. We've been at this for a long time and really like the build quality and our servicing dealer. I would think he can find exactly the right camper for his family within that brand and at a good price. Just look around and have lots of fun in the great outdoors!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:58 AM   #9

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-value-quality-brand-443427-2.html

I wish you and yours good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote