Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #15
TVG

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Roadtripper6, Welcome to the fold! When ya get a chance, feel free to put some info in your Signature, like where your from and such. And if you do or don't get the results you deserve from the dealer, Don't be bashful and let people know! It helps others and you to talk about it.
TVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:56 AM   #16

Our first purchase of a used TT (from an owner ) was also a major learning process, got pretty screwed by the owner as far as things wrong with it, maybe he didn't know, but that would be a fairy tale !!!

I had to repair the black tank, the whole outlet pipe was almost cracked off the tank and putty holding it on, and, grey tank seam at the tank leaking.

Hopefully your dealer will take care of all of the problems, but if not, there is a lot of help here !!!!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #17

Just getting a chance to get back on here. We sent pictures and videos to the service manager at the dealership and there was no denying they screwed up and didn't do a thorough enough inspection. Supposedly we should not incur any cost so we shall see if they are true to their word. We have a "lifetime" warranty that came with the trailer but when reading the fine print it is very limited. I have no doubt that the previous owners knew, however I feel when you receive a used unit it should be thoroughly inspected prior to selling. I will update again once we hear back from the place. We drove it their Saturday night (3.5 hour drive) and dropped it off. Thanks for all of the info!
Roadtripper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Selling a unit with a bio hazard and health issue is a lot different than selling one with a broken shelf. Everything removed is bio waste, not trash. It would just take one phone call or email to the right people.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck with it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We have a "lifetime" warranty that came with the trailer but when reading the fine print it is very limited.
Not even a high end new RV would come with a life time warranty. Let's hope the dealer service team covers all repair costs. Now that the summer RVing season is about to start, it would be nice if they can expedite the repairs. There should be no reason they can pull the old tank out (one day tops) order a new tank (same day) and have it delivered within a few days. Then another day or two to install the new tank and tidy up and loose ends.

I have heard stories where a dealership will wait a month before even ordering a part, just so all the parts ordered that month come in on a monthly shipment. Then another month to get around to doing the work.

That is why if I need warranty work I wait till the end of the season (Nov?) and drop my unit off.

good luck...at least they said you should not be charged.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #21

All good points above. I did have a black tank spill (don't ask how I managed that goof...). Anyway, I had to remove the underbelly cover, pull all the wet insulation, fix the problem, install new insulation and re-close the underbelly.

Honestly, the worst part of the job was finding the correct location , getting access through the underbelly (cut w/box knife) and cleaning the nasty stuff. The repair was the easy.

On another note...
Hmmm. I need to figure out when "end of the season" might be...perhaps "least favorite" would be more likely.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:13 AM   #22

Hope the dealer rectifies the leak problem at no cost to the OP. The proper thing the dealer could do. But that reminds me of the many of days we spent searching for our RV. We knew we didn't want a brand new one, but didn't want something too old. Yes, we first decided to look on craigslist and other local classified. Since we live close to a major state lake/park, competition is high.

It was very easy to look up most RV models on NADA and get an idea of value. I started noticing private owners normally marking up their used RV at top dollar. Perhaps some may be worth it, but a casual buyer could never know everything unless they actually buy and start using it. Then you are stuck with the issues and 99.9% sellers will say, sorry, as-is, no guarantees. So during our search I would contact the owner and say, you realize selling at top dollar usually means you are selling it at retail, like a dealer, who has a service dept to support issues and fix them? MANY have replied by saying, SO! And reduce the $10k by a few hundred dollars when they are marked up by thousands.... rotf!

So we turned and found a reputable dealer... Bill Plemmons in Raleigh took care of us with our issues with no cost. It took a little crying, but they came through. I would buy from them again!
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 AM   #23

I bought new and oh what stories I have...
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:31 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks for the update!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At times I don't know whats worse; buy used and fix it yourself or buy new and deal with the dealer service department. I have bought new and done a combo of self fix and dealer. If I fix it, it's usually better than new.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty much a crap shoot for sure. I bought new, had to repair grey tank vent stack (not glued, venting into walls, phew). Replace the shower pan supports, that caused the wall to separate from the pan, etc.
I would rather do these small things, than take it to a dealer to jack me around.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #27

Knock On Wood !!!! I must be the lucky one, other than the 70 mile trip each way to take it to them, have had no problems with either the quality of work, or getting it done. I make an appointment with the same service writer,leave it with them, and within the week, usually, ready.Has always been warrentee work so far, slide tore a rip in the flooring, stove vent fan went out, and, so far, 2 Dometic AC units. it's out of warrentee now ( except for the AC unit ) so we bought the Good Sam Extended Warrentee, well worth the piece of mind.

To make it all even more unbielievable, it's a Camping World !!!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #28

*Another update
We called several times this week trying to find out the status of our trailer and we were continuously given the back burner. Then we were being told the cost may be on us because we could've cracked the tank while driving it home. (This is obviously not true due to the fact that the waste that was everywhere in the underbelly had been there for quite some time and again, it was not our waste). We even kindly offered them stool samples to prove this fact. I finally wrote out a letter of complaint about the issue along with what I wanted done to rectify the situation. I also included what I had wrote out to send regarding the customer satisfaction survey (2 pages of dissatisfaction) as well as many pictures and sent it to the General Managers. Within an hour the service manager called me and said that they were so sorry and that they would fix everything (new tank) and replace the insulation, and the entire underbelly as well as clean it out thoroughly. It will take up to 6 weeks to get done for some reason which is still frustrating on its own since we had already reserved a campsite for June 1 for two months but at this point I am just thankful the major stress and frustration of whether or not they were going to take care of their negligence is over with.
Roadtripper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping