Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

First time camping horror story. What needs to be done?

I hate that this is my first post on here because I had such high hopes for my family's first time taking out our travel trailer but here it goes. We purchased a 2014 TT last week and had our first chance to take it out for the weekend. (Can I preface this with the fact that we have been very disappointed and upset with the company we bought it from immediately following the purchase when we realized they misled us about a warranty, left for the day while leaving us still there because the service department didn't hook up our hitch properly until finally a salesmen found us a chain and cut it down to fit so we could get out of there (1.5 hours later, never fixed our items on the walk through, and lastly never put our electric cord back in our trailer so when we got home after the 2 hour drive we realized we had no way to hook it up).
Despite all of that, here is my biggest concern... We took it out last night and everything was going well and we were enjoying ourselves as a family. We didn't allow anyone to use the restroom in it other than to urinate because we weren't ready to deal with that yet so we went to the bath house when we needed to go#2. This morning my husband said he smelled urine and noticed a drip in the underbelly so he crawled under and felt around. He then discovered that it felt very heavy like it was filled with water so he got a 55 qt bucket and put it under and cut a hole near the leak. Urine and other liquids poured into the bucket filling it 1/3 of the way. The stench was so foul so he cut a bigger square to inspect in which it became apparent that the insulation was filled with liquid, feces, maggots, etc. (Mind you, this was not our waste, but the previous owners). He continued cutting the underbelly until he found where there was a crack in the black tank and their was literally feces oozing out around it. We were mortified and spent 3 hours cleaning and properly disposing of the remnants. We called where we got it from and just got back from the 4 hour round trip drive to take it to them to be fixed. I am so disgusted and livid but I don't know much about travel trailers to know what to expect as far as them fixing it. Is this Trailer even safe for us to use? How do we ensure that? Thanks!
Roadtripper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Since the sewage and other crap was leaking to the outside and not the inside it should be safe for you to use. Hopefully the company will replace all of the insulation and paneling underneath when they repair the black tank.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

First time camping horror story. What needs to me done?

Sorry to hear you got off to such a rough start. It sounds like this condition may have existed for some time. My concern would be with what (if any) damage was done to the TT support frame in terms of rust/corrosion. Check the supports on which the tank is mounted and any within the wet area.

When it comes to RV's, many of us have purchased other people's sh!*, just not quite so literally. No way to go now but up, right?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Trust me ...We have heard worse 1st outing stories. Don't despair, it will get better and over time the good memories will out weigh that stinky story. At some point it will become humorous...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #5

It can only get better form here right.

Good luck and never give up on your dreams.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm going to assume it was a "used" trailer off a dealers lot. Unless there was a "written warranty" you signed before plunking down a deposit, it will fall on you. The sales person could have talked all he wanted about we'll fix this, we'll fix that, or your covered by the warranty... Let's just hope they step up to bat and fix the sewage issue.

I would have gotten a 30 or 90 day warranty ( bumper -2 - bumper) for a two year old unit because you most likely still paid good money for it.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

poo wipes off. remove all insulation or other material that could have soaked up the liquid... they make a million different cleaning products to disinfect the hard surfaces that have had contact. pick one use it, replace all insulation and other stuff, take it out the next weekend for a fun time.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #8

Everything is repairable, good luck. Being polite when you bring it back will get you more mileage with the dealer. Be prepared to be without the trailer for a month or more. Make sure they install a new tank not just patch it. On delivery, they should have leak checked all the plumbing. If they didn't , maybe they weren't aware of the defect. Didn't it smell foul near the trailer?

Have you seen the movie RV yet?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Have you seen the movie RV yet?
Your funny. Like putting salt on a wound.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

RV's are expensive porta-potties that shouldn't leak. Sorry for your troubles, but most problems are fixable.
Hopefully your dealer is competent.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #11

As stated before all things are repairable and it hopefully will get done. It sounds as if you bought a used trailer. Don't blame it all on the people that you bought it from. Obviously those they traded it in or got rid of it. We're not being honest. Probably part of the reason why they traded it in. They may have hidden it clean it up a little bit so wouldn't be noticed. And stuck the people. Including you. I will say from the sound of it all things are repairable and I do hope the people you bought it from are really willing to work with you. I bought mine used through an RV dealer named Ralphs and they have stepped up and even gone out of their way for me. They get very high marks and my recommendation. Wish you the very very best and keep us posted on how this turns out... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #12

You all are far more understanding than me. I would be looking for full refund.
A close second would be full credit towards another unit.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Did you buy the trailer as is, or did the dealer give you any kind of warranty, 30-90 days? If you bought it as is, then I'm afraid you'll be on the hook to fix it.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #14

Can't wait to hear back from the OP, when it's back at the dealer !

Tags
camping