Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #71

Skirting will work and keep the trailer from freezing from underneath. do not use hay or straw bales since those are critter magnets. The problem with skirting is you just can't pick up and move, lol.

I run the propane more at night than the day for cold weather. My space heater is nice but the thermostat is in the living room so if my space heater is on it will keep the furnace is from kicking on art night and heating the tanks and lines that run underneath.

If you are physically able too, you can get the 100 pound tanks. Have seen some people at the propane store with them being refilled.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #72

I thought of getting 100lb tanks but was told I shouldn't transport them laying down. Is that true? Is this the connector I would need? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071Y...J9IWF8Y6&psc=1
I asked the guys at Tractor Supply and they didn't know. How do you recommend attaching the skirting? I'd rather not use duct tape.
JTIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #73

I have seen them transported laying down but an not qualified to answer. That does look like the connector that would work. When I wad boondocking in Alaska this summer I saw a trailer with the two 100 pounders mounted where our 30 pounders go. Talk about tongue weight.

The skirting I have seen is the insulation board cut to dimension them Jerry rigged in and around the trailer. If go look at a rv park this time of year you can see some of the ways it is accomplished to skirt a trailer.

Best of luck and rememberyou need to have the furnace going to heat the tanks.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #74

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #75

You may be able to get 100 lb tanks delivered to you. I use them for cooking at home. They deliver and connect for me. I don't even need to be home. I asked delivery man and he said he has customers that are working for pipe line and he delivers to them.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #76

Just read all the posts on this thread and wondering how you are holding up this winter? I know it's been a cold harsh winter for most this year and was glad you went with the choice you made! Most other TT's would probably given you more problems than your original purchase!
Hope all is well
Old 04-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Just read all the posts on this thread and wondering how you are holding up this winter? I know it's been a cold harsh winter for most this year and was glad you went with the choice you made! Most other TT's would probably given you more problems than your original purchase!
Hope all is well
I held up okay, thanks for asking! The rv held up fairly well in the single digits since I had tank heaters installed. We had a very unusual cold front in my area that came through bringing the wind chill to -15 F. My bathroom pipes froze temporarily three or four times (kitchen sink in the rear near the water heater was fine) so I had to really crank the internal heat to thaw them out. There might be some damage to a water line but water pressure seems alright. I only think there may be damage because when I fill my tank, I get water draining from below the rv (in the rear out of what looks like a drainage pipe but also around the pipe as well) once I get close to full capacity. It never did that before. Also, keep in mind I never put up skirting, just as an experiment. I wanted to determine the threshold because I won't be messing with skirting while traveling. Now I know I can basically get to 0 degrees F which is great since I plan on making my way to the northwest to look at properties. I am not the snowbird type! I've also spent the last months working on my digital nomad income plan and by the end of this year I will be quitting my day job and hitting the road!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #78

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just a thought for the future. Most of the plumbing under your tub, below sinks, and behind the shower is accessible behind access panels. In my Creekside the panels are held on by four small screws. When the weather gets real cold you can remove those panels to get some more heat to those pipes. You can also pump some warm air into those areas with a heat gun or the free hair dryer they put in the bathroom. Glad you survived and still like the trailer and the lifestyle.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase