Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

First time purchaser help

Hello , I'm looking at our first travel trailer and we are looking between the Cruiser MPG , Keystone Outback ultra lite and forest river vibe ultra lite, all of them are the rear living double doors any suggestions on which manufactures are better than one , I've been watching videos and doing lots of searching ! The vibe we just added the other day ! We like them all lol
critterstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What will you be towing with?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #3

How are you going to use it? Weekends / Road trips - on/off pavment

How long will you be away for?

Drycamping or RV park

What type of conditions are you going to use it?
-Summer
-Spring summer fall
-Spring summer fall winter

How much gear do you need to carry?

How long do you want it to last?

It resale important?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sometimes the higher the cost per pound, the better the trailer.
I've never been impressed with the "ultra/super" light trailers out there.
There's a reason some brands of TT's are heavier. It's all about the foundation/axels that the box sits on.
We've always been happy with Outdoors RV & Northwood's quality even though they weigh more than the competition.
JMO
Have fun with which ever brand you end up with. You are wise to do a lot of research!
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your total towing capacity has more to do with your tire vehicle cargo capacity being eaten up by tongue weight than the tow rating of your vehicle. Cargo capacity includes your passengers, pets, anything in the truck bed, etc. Look at the door sticker.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Your total towing capacity has more to do with your tire vehicle cargo capacity being eaten up by tongue weight than the tow rating of your vehicle. Cargo capacity includes your passengers, pets, anything in the truck bed, etc. Look at the door sticker.
Total GCWR on the plate is 13,500lbs with the total weighted trailer pounds as 7,800 pounds
Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What is the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle? Not the towing capacity. Not the GCWR. What are the axle weight ratings? What are your tires rated for? What does your tow vehicle weigh with you and your family and pets and any things you want to take with you on your trip?

If this stuff was easy, everyone would be doing it right every time. Instead automotive manufacturers give misleading data and salespeople just want to move units.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
What is the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle? Not the towing capacity. Not the GCWR. What are the axle weight ratings? What are your tires rated for? What does your tow vehicle weigh with you and your family and pets and any things you want to take with you on your trip?

If this stuff was easy, everyone would be doing it right every time. Instead automotive manufacturers give misleading data and salespeople just want to move units.
well my rear axles are 3850 GAWR , I guess inside ill have 500lbs between us and our dogs other than that I haven't weighted anything
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

Leave it to a consumer industry to make something cheaper and then market it as desirable by calling it "lite." It doesn't mean you have to buy junk and it's not just up to the dealer service, although that's important if you're not handy. Really the thing to do is choose an individual unit that is well built. That means whatever the brand and model, check the construction thoroughly to make sure it was put together well. Unfortunately that takes some experience and knowledge to do. But that's what it takes - is the plumbing straight? Is the roof solid? Is the wiring neat and connected properly? Is the body put together well? Is the suspension good enough? The list goes on and on. Look beyond floorplan and features and try to find a well built unit. If I were shopping for a small trailer, I'd start with Lance, Arctic Fox, Airstream. Lance is a good standard for decent quality build and reliability in my opinion. So says the moron.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have been following this thread you may have noticed many posts have been removed. There's no need to be personal or combative when making replies.

Please do not continue down the path of abusive posting, follow the iRV2 rule of Be Nice.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looked at a few trailers yesterday at a local dealer. The dealer in general carried mostly units on the lower end of the price point spectrum. I asked what is your highest quality unit here. The salesman pointed me in the direction of the Cougar Lite model.

If this was the representation of "their" best unit, I was disappointed. The first 3 of 4 cabinet drawers I pulled open, had split door fronts. Numerous trim moldings were loose. When I looked under the dinette seat the wooden bracing which was stapled, was broken in two spots. Shower door was inoperable. This was 2017, so it couldn't have been on the lot all that long.

Doesn't "someone" at the factory do a final inspection before it goes out the door? Wouldn't the dealer want to put their best product forward for the potential customer? I know the "lite" model Cougar are cheaper than the regular Cougar units.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
1. Find a floorplan you love.
2. Determine how much weight you can pull
3. Be patient in your search
4. Buy used and save warranty headaches and lots of depreciation.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:48 AM   #13

I just newly purchased a Keystone Passport. After 2 years of looking. They are worth looking at. There is always something better out there but your number one priority needs to be staying within weight limits. That limited my search when I also included some features that were important to us. Bunks, outside kitchen, etc.... I've resigned myself to the fact that nothing is going to be built to house standards but finding the right dealership makes all the difference. I've been to dealers where their trailer are a wreck, others I just had a negative vibe from them, and eventually settled on my dealer. I received my trailer in mint flawless condition. I couldn't be more happy about the service, time and deal I received. I feel like the right dealer is more important than the trailer brand you chose.
8ptspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase