Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #1

Follow on to- "Tire Question for Tire Engineer"

So, in numerous threads here and on other forums we have LONG discussions on "China Bombs" and in fact on all "ST" tires.
With the obvious problems of wear and age related issues that are not seen in automobile tires the question comes to mind-

Why don't tire manufacturers put more effort into making better ST tires?
(especially in the sizes less than 16")

Is the total market not large enough to warrant the effort?

It seems to me someone could corner the entire market with the right engineering and marketing.

And I'm including Maxxis here because I read bad reviews on them also.

We have specialty tire makers for antique and classic vehicles where the market is small compared to trailers. Why not STs?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #2

Trailer manufacturers buy tires by price alone, consumers mostly do the same.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Trailer manufacturers buy tires by price alone, consumers mostly do the same.
Unfortunately this is true.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

The Special in ST should be an indicator that the design is different. Most will have very shallow treads compared to P & LT tires, the average is about 10/32. They do not have protective sidewall inserts and they are designed to be operated at maximum sidewall inflation pressures. They are not mileage tires, they are age out tires. Depending on their usage that age out factor is about 3-5 years, probably even sooner when operated at or near their maximum load capacity. I came across country in 2008 when diesel fuel was $4.00 a gal. Every tank full equaled the cost of a new tire.

If your trailer’s manufacturer has provided you with tires that barley carry the full GVWR you should complain to NHTSA. Then replace the tires with the next load range, if possible.

Carlisle posts more information about ST tires than any other builder/supplier. Read their PDFs. They are eye openers. Especially about how fast the ST tire can degrade.

An owner has zero grounds for complaining about early ST tire failures if their trailer has never been to the scales loaded for a road trip. The larger the trailer the more likely it is to being excessively out of balance with one or more tires severely overloaded. No tire lasts very long in that condition going 65 MPH down the road.

If you want your ST tires to last a few years you have to study them and insure they are properly inflated and not overloaded. Just because they look like a tow vehicle tire does not make it so.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Still with the market, why hasn't a specialty tire maker come in to fill the need?

There's money to made here and it seems no one wants to fill it.
I'm willing to bet that if a superior ST tire came to market people would buy it.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
Unfortunately this is true.
Yep agree with that too !
I've been using Greenball Towmasters the last 2 years load range F with better results than the other brands. Although these are on my enclosed Race Trailer, not a whole lot of difference than your Travel Trailers. My Trailer loaded weighs 10,000 lbs.
I went to 16 in tires back in 2001 - Travel about 20K miles a year so they don't sit in storage very long.
In my world Price isn't always an issue verses sitting on the side of the road evaluating blowout damage trying to get to my next Race.
I'm due for new Trailer tires this year (2017) and I going with Goodyears G 614 RST - 235/85R16's
I have several friends that use these and they swear they are the Best Trailer Tire Ever.
Just my 2 cents!
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Still with the market, why hasn't a specialty tire maker come in to fill the need?

I'm willing to bet that if a superior ST tire came to market people would buy it.
I doubt that will happen. Foe example, there were several electric brake controllers made that were at least as good as the current factory units. Folks wouldn't buy them due to a higher price and no clue how a controller works. Now that they are buying new trucks they see how a good controller performs and didn't know that they could have had that performance from a real controller for many years. Price is all that matters for the majority.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #8

All ST Tires are GOOD ST Tires....or so the mantra goes
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Don't know about you guy's but today alone I passed at least 20 or so TT's and their tires looked low to me .
Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Yep agree with that too !
I've been using Greenball Towmasters the last 2 years load range F with better results than the other brands. Although these are on my enclosed Race Trailer, not a whole lot of difference than your Travel Trailers. My Trailer loaded weighs 10,000 lbs.
I went to 16 in tires back in 2001 - Travel about 20K miles a year so they don't sit in storage very long.
In my world Price isn't always an issue verses sitting on the side of the road evaluating blowout damage trying to get to my next Race.
I'm due for new Trailer tires this year (2017) and I going with Goodyears G 614 RST - 235/85R16's
I have several friends that use these and they swear they are the Best Trailer Tire Ever.
Just my 2 cents!

My 5th wheel came OEM with GY G614s .....14K 5vr / 11K on axles
FT traveler for 7 yrs
3 1/2 yrs old and had blowout. GY paid for replacement tire and $3000 damage
2 yrs later another blowout. Fortunately very minor damage. GY paid for 1 replacement

Still running that set of GYs but will be going with Sailun S637 next set of tires.

Very good rep for 16" 'G' rated tire and alot less expensive then GY G614

NOTE:
Tires failed...not due to overloading/under-inflated ---abuse etc
GY concurred after they inspected carcasses
Old 10-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #11

That's the 1st complaint I've heard on the G614's !
Dual axle or Tri ?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
That's the 1st complaint I've heard on the G614's !
Dual axle or Tri ?
Dual axle.

Lots of GY G614 failures from batches made in 2006/2007
But a quick goggle search shows issues with 2010 batches as well
Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

This tire is receiving good reviews. Radial Trail HD
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine