Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Forest River Wildwood Lite 263BHXL

Hello,

Reside in the DFW area.

Just joined, purchased the above trailer in Tyler, Texas back in November, 2020. Towing it with a 2020 Silverado crew cab, short bed, 5.3L V8 with tow package and integrated trailer brake.

Upgraded truck when we decided to upgrade from a popup camper, the midsize 2015 Canyon wasn't going to tow what we were looking at, but I wasn't planning on upgrading the trailer to max out the truck. I have limited towing experience, with the popup being most of the heavier towing I have done.

Have done a few shakedown cruises with the new truck/camper at Texas State Parks, appears the larger than I thought we needed trailer is a good choice. Between dogs, adult kids and grandkids, have found the added space to be worthwhile. Really love the 2nd door, and the slideout creates a living space that does not feel as confining.

Tows well, pleased with the setup, but main reason I was looking at the Web was to figure out a decent wireless rear camera setup. I actually find this trailer easier to backup than the old popup, longer length is actually much better, plus the stock mirrors give me a better view down the sides of the trailer than the Canyon did on our popup.

Trailer is setup for Furrion, but I just think those are overpriced. I still do not understand why the wireless setups have issues at speed - the signal should transmit at the speed of radio waves, I haven't driven anywhere close to that speed, even out in west Texas.

Another, less ambitious project is a bicycle carrier. I actually like the idea of adding a 2" receiver to the rear bumper and using my existing bike carrier. That would add flexibility to use my hitch hauler if need be.

The third thing I am considering is one of the roll around things for waste water dump. It seems like it is pretty easy to fill up the gray tanks with showers or a lot of dish washing. (I know, use more disposable items, the old trade-off, water or paper plates, which is better to waste?)

Anyway, looking forward to reading what people have found works best for wireless cameras to start.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #3

Glad you are here.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post

Tows well, pleased with the setup, but main reason I was looking at the Web was to figure out a decent wireless rear camera setup. I actually find this trailer easier to backup than the old popup, longer length is actually much better, plus the stock mirrors give me a better view down the sides of the trailer than the Canyon did on our popup.

Anyway, looking forward to reading what people have found works best for wireless cameras to start.
The difference is not related the high speed limits in Texas. The Star Trek effect is fictional.

There are "Backup" cameras and there are "Rear-view" cameras. Backup cameras have extremely wide view. I can see the bumper on my TT from the camera mounted near the roof. Rear view cameras have a narrower view. They allow you to see far behind.

I have a Garmin backup camera. It broadcasts to my Garmin GPS inside my SUV tow vehicle. It works fine while driving. However, to see a following vehicle while driving, the vehicle must be very close behind. Even a Semi is too small to see at normal following distances.

I can see vehicles in part of my blind spot as they pass me.

There are many systems available with different features. Choose the one that does what you want. Most on Amazon are Backup cameras. Many advertisements do not say one way or the other.

A long trailer may need a booster of some sort for signal to reach front of tow vehicle.

Regards,
Paul Bristol
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
The difference is not related the high speed limits in Texas. The Star Trek effect is fictional.

There are "Backup" cameras and there are "Rear-view" cameras. Backup cameras have extremely wide view. I can see the bumper on my TT from the camera mounted near the roof. Rear view cameras have a narrower view. They allow you to see far behind.

I have a Garmin backup camera. It broadcasts to my Garmin GPS inside my SUV tow vehicle. It works fine while driving. However, to see a following vehicle while driving, the vehicle must be very close behind. Even a Semi is too small to see at normal following distances.

I can see vehicles in part of my blind spot as they pass me.

There are many systems available with different features. Choose the one that does what you want. Most on Amazon are Backup cameras. Many advertisements do not say one way or the other.

A long trailer may need a booster of some sort for signal to reach front of tow vehicle.

Regards,
Paul Bristol
That explains a lot. My Silverado has an enhanced camera system, not the invisible trailer setup, but higher resolution and you can also choose a view that looks almost straight down on the hitch. I have switched it on at highway speeds, and I think it could make you seasick in short order.

I need to find somewhere to look at some variations. I want both to some degree, the ability to back up my trailer, and the ability to at least see if I am clear to change lanes. On the other hand, I am not so worried about seeing a vehicle 500 yards behind me. I rarely am the slow driver who is going to get hit from the rear.

My truck mirrors do a pretty good job of letting me see the lanes, I just have to guess where the rear end of my trailer is at.

The comments I have read about the signal being lost at high speed, the Star Trek effect as you so aptly call it, has always baffled me. I would like to avoid the need for a booster.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Sorry I have no experience with cameras but I can say that adding a hitch the “rear bumper” is a big no-no. It will definitely take on a lot of bouncing and tear off. I had a welder actually weld a hitch to the frame for my bike rack and it’s very secure.
Good luck
Old 04-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Sorry I have no experience with cameras but I can say that adding a hitch the “rear bumper” is a big no-no. It will definitely take on a lot of bouncing and tear off. I had a welder actually weld a hitch to the frame for my bike rack and it’s very secure.
Good luck
I do have some worries with that, will not attempt to carry a load until I have a camera to watch the motion.

I haven't looked at what I can do to structurally support it yet.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
The comments I have read about the signal being lost at high speed, the Star Trek effect as you so aptly call it, has always baffled me. I would like to avoid the need for a booster.
The range of the transmitter from the camera to the receiver in the tow vehicle is limited. A booster may be needed for a long TT. One solution is to run a cable from the back of the trailer where the camera is toward the front. The transmitter is then locate there, possibly near the front of the TT. The distance then is short enough to make the wireless connection.

Choose a kit that has an extension cable to the transmitter if necessary. Usually installation instructions for the kit state the maximum distance for reliable connection. Kits with and without extensions are available.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river