Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Forest River Winegard Antenna issue

All. I am about to start trouble shooting this, but need a little help. I have a Winegard Rayzar Z1 antenna that was new on our trailer when we bought it. We had an issue with the Stereo unit when we purchased it and it had to be replaced. We have really never been able to get tv signal for some odd reason. I took out the basic antenna and installed a Sensor Pro unit to see if I could boost it. Well that was unsuccessful. I have never been able to find if the antenna itself had a power switch. I don't remember being told it had one. Was at an event though this weekend and the guy next to me had the exact same antenna. He talked about hitting a power switch and having all kids of channels. I turned my antenna to same direction and still got nothing from either the sensar pro, or the tv. Any advice?
Rmabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Eb3

Is the booster on? Small button where the coaxial cable is in the wall.
Eb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

Turn the booster on, set the tv for air, scan for channels....put a app on your phone that will show you in what direction the towers are....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

I may have messed it all up anyway. Our tv is right beside the door which is then right beside the cabinate with our Microwave in it. There was a plate behind the microwave that had two coax cables sticking out of it, but I did not see a booster power switch. I switched out that unit with a sensor pro signal booster. But back to the initial question. I have not noticed a booster cable power switch anywhere. I did however hear it has what looks like a cig lighter port with it. I will have to search for that. I will report back. I hope it is something this easy and I am simply an idiot.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

These powered antennas have an amplifier built in, and the 'switch' is on the power injector. The injector unit has a terminal for 12V connection, and an on/off button, and probably an input for park cable tv also. But if the antenna amplifier is not getting power, it will brick the signal and nothing will get through.

Take the cable off the antenna and test it with a multimeter to see if it's got 12VDC at the connector.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #6

Well. Here is the latest. Hired a mobile RV mechanic and had him come to my trailer where I have it stored in a suburb outside Dallas. He fired up a generator. We plugged my trailer in and all the sudden the booster started picking up channels, did a channel scan on the tv and it also immediately started picking up channels. Hard to fix something that is not broken.... I really am stumped as to why the guy next to me at a site is getting signal with the same setup, and I am not.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #7

Start by checking for loose coax connections behind the wall plates.......the factory booster is on the backside of wall plate that the tv coax connects to....it has an led light on it that needs to be turned on, using the on/off button, on same wall plate.....to use roof antenna.....tv needs to be set to air, scan for channels.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check your DC fuses. TV and booster should work off battery unless you replaced the DC booster for an AC one.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmabus View Post
We plugged my trailer in and all the sudden the booster started picking up channels . . .
How do you know this? Did a light come on that wasn't on before? Or did you surmise that once you ran a channel scan?
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Turn the booster on, set the tv for air, scan for channels....put a app on your phone that will show you in what direction the towers are....
You peaked my interest. What might I search for in my Play Store to find an app as you described?

TIA
Jgriff1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

KanzKran

In my first attempt to sort this out I installed a Sensar Pro booster. It has led displays that show channels and signal strength. It is supposed to be a “super” booster of sorts, so I hear. Anyway, I installed it, took out my trailer and it only had two sets of dashes, indicating no signal. When the gentlmen came to work on it, we had signal and channels.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #12

Ok. So I have an update but first a question.

Will a King Jack antenna setup to factory spec work with a sensorpro? The jack manual says do not use two boosters.... Not sure if the sensorpro has a booster or not.

So this thread is old but, went to hot springs last weekend, no TV. Same tech came to my trailer and we looked at everything again but as luck would have it, and being in the city, I got signal. We started looking at the strength number on the sensar, and it was at 26’ish. I then realized I had this odd antenna “ditch cable” deal I had bought. We used it to bypass the antenna and this wimpy little antenna thing pushed the strength to 75. So I went and purchased the King jack antenna. I want to keep using the Sensar however as it will give me audio back to my stereo and speakers. Again bough I don’t want to put two amplifiers at this antenna.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #13

Per both King and Winegard. The king needs 12 v and the Winegard Sensar Pro delivers 12v. so we are gonna hook it up and see what we get! Should work.

Tags
antenna, forest river