Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 08:26 AM   #1

Forest River WolfPup Trailers

I am looking to purchase a trailer that I will be living and traveling in for many years to come.

I really like the layout of the Forest River Cherokee WolfPup trailers. I’m looking at the 14CC model. I plan on being in whatever I buy year round so winter camping is a probability. I do not want to exceed 20’ length in whatever I buy. I am a female in my early 60’s so ease of hitching and unhitching the trailer is important.

Does anyone here have any experience with this trailer?

Will welcome all advice. I have not pulled a trailer in many many years.

Thank you!
Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sing View Post
I am looking to purchase a trailer that I will be living and traveling in for many years to come.

I really like the layout of the Forest River Cherokee WolfPup trailers. I’m looking at the 14CC model. I plan on being in whatever I buy year round so winter camping is a probability. I do not want to exceed 20’ length in whatever I buy. I am a female in my early 60’s so ease of hitching and unhitching the trailer is important.

Does anyone here have any experience with this trailer?

Will welcome all advice. I have not pulled a trailer in many many years.

Thank you!
Welcome aboard.

I can't speak to the Wolfpups specifically, but as far as ease of hitching and unhitching, all of these are over 400 pounds of tongue weight, so you need to let the mechanics of the trailer do the work. A decent tow vehicle with a rear view camera should make hitching fine.

I think with a full size, half-ton truck, you could get by without a WD hitch. A mid-size truck or an SUV may require a WD hitch for safe hauling.

Once you make a decision, post pics!
Old 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #3

I have a 2019 Wolf Pup 16FQ, just slightly larger than the 14CC.
While the Wolf Pup is considered a low cost entry level trailer, we’ve been very pleased with ours. We’ve had none of the quality control issues that I’ve read of some people having.
We’ve traveled some long, rough dirt roads, where I expected to see problems, but without issues.
We’ve taken it from coast to coast, and it towed well.
Our model doesn’t have the fold away Murphy bed with sofa, so seating is limited to the dinette or bed. We actually didn’t want the Murphy bed because the flat queen bed is very comfortable, without the hinged middle.
So, it’s not a great place to spend a lot of time hanging around inside because of the limited seating. We spend all of our time outside, so it’s not an issue for us. We sleep in it, and do our cooking outside. If the weather warrants it, we’ll eat inside after cooking outside.
But, we also use ours for camping and travel, we’re not living in it full time.
We’ve camped in 30 degree weather comfortably, but nothing colder than that.
I tow mine with an F-150, and use an Andersen WDH. I’ve never had any sway issues, even in strong winds, and tractor trailers passing on both sides. The Andersen hitch is nice, because I can pull the hitch out of the receiver on the truck and carry it with one hand when I’m removing or installing it.
The tongue weight on my Wolf Pup is 550 pounds.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A925FE8-69D3-49E1-A25F-74971D815988.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	382178  
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #4

looks like a nice manageable sized unit. I would caution that it doesn't appear to be "four season", no indication of heated and enclosed tanks, no double pane windows, etc. so "winter" would have to be above freezing. Also note that the large 12v compressor fridge will take a decent solar and battery system unless you are plugged in.

Dave
Old 12-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #5

Thank you! That is really helpful!
Old 12-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #6

Do you know of any smaller travel trailers that are more winterized?
Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sing View Post
Do you know of any smaller travel trailers that are more winterized?
There aren't many; the more expensive and heavy four seasons stuff is at odds with the cheaper, lighter trailers most of the time. One that has R8 insulation, double pane windows and heated and enclosed tanks is the Bigfoot trailer line but they aren't cheap.....might find a used one if a new one is over the budget:

https://bigfootrv.com/2500-series/b17-trailer/b17fb
Old 12-06-2022, 10:08 AM   #8

Agree - 4 season trailers have to add stuff to keep it a bit more for winter weather. That stuff weighs more. You will want a heated and enclosed underbelly at the very least. Dual pane windows and heating pads on the tanks is icing. This tells you the manufacturer at least was thinking of cold weather.

Lance makes some small travel trailers that I would pick if it was snowing. Cougar and Jayco have a zero degree rated trailers
What this means is the furnace will run 95% of the time IMHO. On my travel trailer on a 38 degree night the furnace ran exactly 50% of the time. Pretty much at 3 minute intervals. 3 minutes on, 3 minutes off the back on for 3 minutes. That shows how fast a travel trailer cools off. This again was on a 38 degree night. Not zero degrees. This was October in Pennsylvania.

I had a 3 season travel trailer in 19 degrees weather. I ran 2 electric heaters plus the furnace. We were told to turn on one faucet and let it drip. My 3 season travel trailer survived because this was in central Florida and it warmed up to 60 degrees during the day and it was sunny.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #9

A Lance 1685 would be a great fit for a single occupant living in it full time. Look for an older 4 seasons model. Better investment in the long run as they hold their resale. Would not recommend the smaller 1475 and 1575 for full time as they are built lighter with thinner walls, and roof.

Bigfoot, and Casita are other good options, if you can find an older well kept model, but they are rare.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:42 AM   #10

Beware of seating that converts into sleeping. This can become a tiresome task and is often a compromise in comfort on both tasks. Another nugget of advice: sit on the toilet and stand in the shower, make sure both have space for the processes involved. Happy shopping!
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
A Lance 1685 would be a great fit for a single occupant living in it full time. Look for an older 4 seasons model. Better investment in the long run as they hold their resale. Would not recommend the smaller 1475 and 1575 for full time as they are built lighter with thinner walls, and roof.

Bigfoot, and Casita are other good options, if you can find an older well kept model, but they are rare.
The 1685 looks like a nice trailer and a good choice. I'd just point out that you need to start thinking about your tow vehicle when going from the Wolf Pup's 3,900 lb GVWR to the 1685's 6,300 lb GVWR.; that's a fairly big jump. For comparison the Bigfoot B17FB has a GVWR of 4,300 lbs which isn't bad considering the standard "four season" stuff though it is a smaller trailer at 17'5" OAL.

If the OP has a properly equipped half ton truck, then all are fine.

Dave
Old 12-07-2022, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
The 1685 looks like a nice trailer and a good choice. I'd just point out that you need to start thinking about your tow vehicle when going from the Wolf Pup's 3,900 lb GVWR to the 1685's 6,300 lb GVWR.; that's a fairly big jump. For comparison the Bigfoot B17FB has a GVWR of 4,300 lbs which isn't bad considering the standard "four season" stuff though it is a smaller trailer at 17'5" OAL.

If the OP has a properly equipped half ton truck, then all are fine.

Dave

Older models are not nearly as heavy. Prior to 2017.5 model year they were more weight cautious. Then in 2022 they took another jump up in weight.
Look for a model in the 2015 thru 2017 model year. Over on the Lance forum there are several single folks that full time in a 1685. They love the upper bunk for extra storage. Double Azdel layer helps with managing moisture issues, that can be tricky on most other units. Double axel is a bonus in such a small trailer. Considering it’s 4 season, and has a lot of room with the slide out makes it a great fit for full timing.

Agree, that a midsize truck or suv may still be lacking, but a smaller 1/2 ton V6 would be adequate.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:13 PM   #13

Hi Sing. I was seriously looking at Pups. There are two reasons I decided not to go with one.
1. From what Ive read, they are cheaply made. Thin wood, thin wires, not rugged.
2. They are a warm area/season trailer. Poor insulation.

I was impressed with the sizzle of the steak. All of the gadgets, extras you can get in packages, and the general look of them. But after reading about them I cut them off my list. One of my first posts here was about manufacturers building trailers in say Arizona, then bringing them to the PNW and having them fall apart because they were built by people who dont understand the climate difference. Being said, youll not only have to worry about climate on the TT, but outfitting for a TT that isnt designed for anything other than a warm environment. Here in WA State, I wouldnt buy a Pup. Google Forest River Cherokee WolfPup winter camping. and look at the results. Nuff said.

As far as hitching goes, all is pretty much the same. You hitch one, you hitch them all. Like riding a bike. You done it before. But if its been so long that you dont know about weight distribution hitches, you might want to ask more questions about your tow vehicle and compatibility with trailer weights. Lol, Im 53 and just purchased my first TT and discovered a world of things I didnt know. The people on this forum will help a lot!

Four Season.
Arctic Fox is the number one IMO. Try and find a used one for sale. Speaks for its self, you cant find a used one. Lance, Bigfoot, Olive. Other can suggest. Dont be afraid to buy used, just look up the checklist or hire a third party..

Tags
forest river, trailer