RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Fresh water tank issues

So terrible time to find this out. It appears that when I filled my fresh water tank up at a park with no hook up. I checked my tank level after I filled it up and it said full by the time I got to the spot and hooked up and filled or water jug. In the mean time did some other things came back went to turn on the water and it wonít come on Pump is running but nothing, it just sputters. I looked at my tank gage and it shows my grey tank almost full and my fresh water empty. How can this be? Is there valve thatís open or something? Please help out camping now with no water.

RyanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How about you tell us what kind of rig you have first.
Is this the first time out this year?
Do you have an owners manual with you?

camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Somehow the water pump was on all the time?
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #4

You don't have a spigot on somewhere inside? The only way the gray tank can fill is from a sink or tub drain. Did you physically look underneath at the tanks to verify what the gauges are telling you? The gauges aren't known to be too accurate. You wouldn't fill a gray tank if an outside shower were left on but you could drain a fresh water tank. Perhaps you'll hear better ideas from others here in a bit.

One last note. I changed out my kitchen sink with a new fixture. I have to keep a hair tie on the handle to keep it from opening while towing the trailer. It vibrates open and starts spitting water out as soon as I turn on the pump. All that said for you to check your spigots to make sure they're closed when the pump is turned on.
Stateboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #5

Sorry I have a forest River tracer 2019. This is the first time I have used the fresh water tank. Iíve only used city water. Iím not sure where to look to see if the gauge is reading accurate. I filled my tank for 15 or so minutes it has a 46 gallon tank. We filled a 1 gallon jug for drinking and maybe another gallon here and there. I didnít have anything on that I know of. I guess Iíll go fill it up again tomorrow and make sure all is turned off.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
you might have a swtch which you fiip to choose city water or tank.
Do u have a manual
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:28 AM   #7

It sounds like to me that a winterization valve is in the wrong position. My trailer has two valves that get turned to winterize. If I forget and only turn one valve back in the spring I get the same situation that you have now. My spigot just spits water.

I usually scratch my head...and think does this valve also need turned???? When I turn it then I get water....ugh.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #8

Remember that it also takes a couple minutes to fill the water heater with the pump before there is good flow elsewhere.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #9

Ok so I believe I found the problem. I have an outside sink that I believe was on the entire time so that filled my gray rather quickly. Thanks for the help

Tags
fresh water, tank, water