Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2023, 11:24 AM   #1

Fresh water tank very slow to fill; need ideas please.

We have a 2023 302 Venture. The water intake is a shared connection; handle horizontal is city water, handle vertical is a fresh water fill. Inside the hose connection is a backflow device. The dealer told me that if the backflow device is removed and the water pump is used, the water will pump out of the connection; that is the reason the backflow device is installed. The connection obviously feeds a common line and then splits once it enters the trailer.
The backflow device has a garden hose size intake but the interior side of the device has a very small hole which is probably only 10% of the size of the input hose; significantly reducing water flow and water pressure.

1- Has anyone modified their intake in any fashion so the fresh tank will fill faster? Any thoughts are welcome.

2- I am 99% sure the city water line connects direct to the water appliances. The valve that controls either the city or tank is located just after the hose connection. When I am on city water and turn on the pump; the pressure increases at the faucets. If the backflow device is at the water hose connection and is not in place; the water would spew out as mentioned. However, What if the hose connection was capped off without a backflow device in place? The fresh tank would fill faster and then return the valve to the city position; then cap the hose connection. Capping the hose connection would make the water from the tank return to the main line as plumbed from the factory and would stop any water from spewing out the hose connection. Any thoughts or comments?

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #2

I had a hard time following all that, so I may be off base with my response. But I'm going to guess that the input orifice to your fresh tank is restricted because the fill line is a gravity fill that is not designed to withstand water pressure.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #3

Thank you. Actually the lines are 1/2" diameter PEx. I wish the fresh tank fill was a 2" diameter like my old trailer. There is one water hose connection; depending on the position of the handle; it either feeds like a city water hookup or turn the handle and it is a fresh tank fill. The problem is there is a backflow device behind the water hose connection that restricts flow to both the city line and fresh tank. Fresh tank took 1/2 hour to fill 45 gallons because the backflow device has an orifice about 1/4" diameter or less. By removing the backflow device, water should flow through the shared connection directly into 1/2" lines. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:05 AM   #4

I think I might just take that check valve out put a full flow ball valve in there. Open the valve for city water, close it to use the in house system.
Hopefully it’s easily accessible.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 08:00 AM   #5

Low pressure on "city" position of valve could be due to low city water pressure. That would cause slow filling. Or, it could be an obstructed valve.

Back flow devices have been known to fail and block flow. Replacing it may correct the issue. Also, exercising manually may dislodge dirt or scale that is obstructing it.

The "small" hole flow is probably not the cause of your problem, however, back flow devices come designed for larger flows.

Valves have also been know to trap stuff and reduce flow. Check the "city" valve for obstruction.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:45 AM   #6

if you do what you described, the the pump run constantly when turned on. The pump. The system is basically setup with two inputs to the appliances, pump and city water and both have to have a functioning check valve or water will flow past them. The FW tank is a low pressure reservoir the pump pulls from. In the scenario you described it would constantly be moving water from the low pressure tank to high pressure side where it would back flow into the low pressure side again.

If the slow fill bother you enough, you could just add a separate fill connection straight to the tank. The hardest part would be cutting a hole in the siding.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:53 PM   #7

My thought for what it is worth. There might not be enough water pressure to open the check valve completely.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #8

My city water system has a limit of 60 psi ; that's what my regulator is set for on my connection at the RV ; because my city water pressure in the house runs 80 psi .

5/8" diameter hose supply from the house to the coach , the 100 gallon fresh tank takes a LONG time to fill.
Water to the fresh tank also flows through the filter . Another possible restriction.

When you say your 12 volt pump increases pressure in the coach when you're on city water ; do you actually know what the city water pressure is ?
Old 05-20-2023, 05:52 PM   #9

I bought a new Southwind Storm in 1999.
The very first trip…..

First trip we couldn’t use the city water hookup. No flow, zero.
Went back to the dealer, they removed the city fill connection to find that the Pexwas too long and kinked in half. Completely blocking the flow, they cut it to size rehooked up the city water connections and worked fine.
They just do goofy things like that in any factory.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 08:07 PM   #10

Yes, I always use a pressure gauge. My other trailer had a gravity flow fill for the tank and the city water pressure in the trailer was similar. I can live with the low pressure from the faucet when hooked on city water; it is the time to fill a tank that is the major concern.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:42 AM   #11

I can only fill the FW tank through the city water connection.
Using a regulator on the hose, it takes 13 minutes to fill my 43 gallon tank at the house (well water).
I set an alarm for ten minutes and go do other things.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrel View Post
Yes, I always use a pressure gauge. My other trailer had a gravity flow fill for the tank and the city water pressure in the trailer was similar. I can live with the low pressure from the faucet when hooked on city water; it is the time to fill a tank that is the major concern.
Remove the regulator for faster holding tank fill. Use the regulator when hooked up to campground water supplies that may have high pressure.

60 pound is the normal maximum for well systems. 40 pounds is the normal minimum. You don't need a regulator for that and the regulator will only slow holding tank fill rate.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:13 AM   #13

Ours has both, city water tank fill and gravity fill. Just turned 20 years old and to this day, I have never turned that valve to the tank fill position. I'd be scared to even touch it now.

I have no idea how fast city fill systems normally take. Off the top of my head, I would not think very fast. A flow of 2 gallons a minute (a guess) would take 25 minutes to fill a 50 gallon tank.

As mentioned already, there could be a kink in the pex going to the tank. The diverter and check valves would be other restriction points.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water