Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

Front axle on a mid '90's HR Aluma lite 30'

I'm getting ready to go axle shopping for a replacement front axle on my Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 30 travel trailer. I'm having a very hard time finding any information online about this trailer.
Anyone know what the specs are for that axle? I thought there would be a tag or a stamp on it that would give me the weight rating, but I haven't seen one. All I know is it's a 6 lug and I don't think it has brakes on the front one...
I can get a 6k one from a trailer parts dealership near my house, but I think the lug pattern might be different. They suggested I buy two complete sets and change everything, ( springs, shackles, hubs, rims and tires) and quoted a dern good deal, included a warranty on the all the parts. It will change the tires rim size but keeps the overall size very close to the same.. maybe a 1in. Difference at the very most.. and I think the air pressure is different also.
Other then that I got a friend that just retired fromm a glass shop that's going to help with inspecting the windows and rebeding them. The only thing I will have invested in the trailer is the price of getting the title... I think the state said less then $300.. and the axle.. or axles. Ohh and a few grand in soap and scrub brushes, because that is a dirty puppy out side!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210313_102023_573.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	603.4 KB
ID:	321698  
hearsejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 10:03 PM   #2

I believe the VIN tag with the weights on it will list your axle ratings.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:47 PM   #3

Thanks, I didn't know it showed the axel information. One day got to find out how to decipher the VIN. Lol.
The strange thing is it has a "30" on the side by the front wheels, but I can not find another picture of any other bumper pull 30 footers with two slide outs, on the back and two doors on the front... Not to mention the LPG storage locker in the front. Just about all the ones on the net, has the tanks mounted right on the frame. I starting to think I got an odd duck on my hands. Lol.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #4

Funny story. I looked at the sticker on my TT and the axle rating is incorrect (typo I guess). The sticker claims the axles are rated at 7000 LB each but in reality they are 3500 LB each. I was able to determine the correct rating by looking at the ID numbers stamped on the hubs. I can kind of read mine by looking through the holes in the rims. It is really clear once you take off the tire.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:18 AM   #5

If you can get under it scuff the back center of the axles. The rating should be there. I'd go over the camper real well before I spent that money however.
Make sure everything works, especially AC, water heater, furnace, and fridge first.
The link below may help

http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/461809580
Old 03-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

Sitting out in the open? Windows need resealing? I'm gonna bet that's been leaking and has at least some rot. Have you inspected the roof?

Charles
Old 03-19-2021, 11:41 PM   #7

Well it doesn't appear to have any leaks. No staining anywhere in side, and no soft spots or dry rot, except 3" X 20" next to the kitchen sink, where the flower pot was cracked open. ( They got caught with several pot plants started in the kitchen sink and the land owner evicted them after he called the cops)
Someone on the board, suggested I rebed the windows and a friend read the post and offered to inspect it and rebed any that needed it. I have not tried the fridge, water or heater, but all the lights in the inside and the fans and all the wall sockets in the living room work. I didn't try any of the others. I have not tried the slide outs yet but I did look them over from underneath it. The front axle snapped off between the spring and hub. The hub did not fail. It Looks like someone ran over a curbside and when they tried to make a left turn In my yard it dug into the soft dirt and pulled it right off.
I looked on the roof but did not walk on it as it is leaning a little and the jacks on the corners are a bit froze. I was told not to force them but work them a little at a time. I don't want to start rebuilding the axle till the DOT inspector comes looks it over. He is going to add an appraisal value to the paper work that I got to fill out for an abandoned title. It was last used as a camper in September, 2004. After that they just went in and looked around to make sure it was not damaged after a storm and they cooked in it back when NC had all those floods a few years ago.
I got the wheel and part of the axle and I will look for the tag on it. From what I hear, they are either 5.2k or 5.4K. I found a similar equipment axle that is used for low boy type trailers that are 7k but the hubs and rims are completely different. The trailer builder near my lot, said it would be an improvement over the stock and said he would sell me one for half the price.
. Actually a little better then half the price of the original replacement. If get one from him I will need to buy two, so it would match. I think the new one has 16.5" tires.. almost looked like a mobile home axle, but had like 12 ply tires and looked a bit more heavy. Trailer builder said he had everything from the spring hangers to the wheels but I had to put them on my camper and had to pike them up and unload myself... He said he would load them on my truck with his mini forklift. Lol.
Other then that it needs new tail light lenses.. the old ones are cracked, and the flood light lenses are missing. Looks like they are recently removed because the bible and sockets, and the plate behind them look like a new mirror. The lenses might be the closet or something because my brother was helping me look for any water damage or rot, and he probably didn't pay attention to them, I didn't even notice that they were even missing. There was no generator on it, and the original black tank drain and cleaning hose were still rolled up and stored in it.
I'll need new door locks because the last owners lost the keys.
None of the windows have been opened since 2004. They winterized it in 2004 and drained every thing, so I'm prepared to repair some hoses, maybe change the plumbing to modern new stuff, and possibly replacing the hot water heater.the carpet was replaced a few years ago after the floods...about 4 years ago. The last owner worked at a construction place and acquired new carpet that was a perfect size for the camper. I don't like the gray color and there's enough dirt and mud from the door to the kitchen to suggest they were cooking and going in and out without cleaning their feet. They had a connector made up so they could turn the running lights on from a 12vdc convertor.
Other then that the outside was never washed since new, and it's pretty dirty, but it does wipe right off. Again I want it to look very rough till after DOT guy looks it over.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:05 AM   #8

6 lug axles are going to be 5200 lb or 6000 lb rated . I did a 16" tire upgrade to my 2001 holiday rambler that had 6 lug 5200lb rated axles. It originally had 15" wheels and I swapped it over to 16" LT tires . Zero blows or tire fallers after going to 16" wheels and tires. Most ST type tires are junk and will not last the life of the tread or 6~7 years. I put on BF Goodrich commercial TA rib style tread tires with a E load range 225/75/16" tires , they where about 3/4" taller and that wasnt a problem with clearance .
Old 03-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #9

I'd avoid the heavy duty axle/tire from your local trailer builder. You will want to match the axles to the GVW of your trailer. Most TTs are using Dexter axles and brake assemblies.

What is your long term goal here? I ask because you are going to start spending some big bucks here. A Dexter axle assembly with brakes will set you back $600-700. A full running gear assembly replacement will cost you a couple of grand. Now is also a good time to upgrade the brakes to disk and that will be another thou or two. Get your GVW, axle length, distance from shackle to shackle. Call or search the etrailer.com site to get an idea of costs. IMHO they are the gold standard for parts and info in this area.

It sounds like you have an interesting project facing you. Take your time and keep asking questions on this forum and elsewhere. Before you get too committed, I'd continue your inspection more closely. You don't want to end up rebuilding lots of stuff to the point you've invested far more than the trailer is worth. Get a comprehensive list of parts and costs to get it fully done before you commit to starting anything other than perhaps the title work.
Make sure all the appliances, especially the refer, work. Check for rodent damage. Pull the trim on the inside roof vent and check for roof rot. Same with the inside trim on a window or two. Search this site and others for a comprehensive PDI checklist and go thru it.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #10

Thanks everyone.
I am presently waiting on the DOT guy before I start spending money.. I got a "bill of sale", but the DOT is going to help me get a clean title in my hands. Lol
Turns out I know the inspector from a while back. He said he ran the numbers and there was no lien or stolen property reports on it in North Carolina.
The local trailer guy builds commercial grade heavy Equipment trailers and I bought some metal from him in the past. He said he will help get the correct axle size when he goes by my lot next time.
I'll be pulling trim off next month and poking around looking for any damages. I got a friend with a camera on a little inspection wand that is looking to test it out and I was thinking of poking it in to any little spot we can find just to see what we can see. Lol. The fridge worked 6 months ago, that doesn't mean anything now though. Lol. They last owner plugged it in to keep his beer cold and test out a home made drop cord. Then he forgot to unplug it. I will be running off a 120Vac generator for a couple of months till I get the axle.. then if all go well I move it closer the meter base, and test the water systems. The last owner said the gas works. He used the stove back a few years ago, and would turn a burner on every so often in case the power went out in their house. Of course they were evicted for growing pot with intentions of selling.. so I still plan to treat it as if it's been untouched for years. Lol.
I think if I don't have any rot, or leaks, including the tail light lenses, and good tires I will have roughly $2600 in it... Might be a little more after I start inspecting the brakes. I got a new set of wheel bearings from a friend that had a very similar trailer and lost it to falling tree and storm damage. The insurance paid his off and bought a much smaller one. His had the same looks but no slide outs like mine. I tried to tell him mine did not have a wheel bearing failure but he said go ahead and change them. Lol.
I figured it's worth more the $2600 so I don't mind spending the money slowly.. atleast till it comes to buying the axle.
Wish me luck y'all. Lol.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #11

Good luck finding all the information you need with as little hassle as possible[emoji1696].

I have to comment on having a odd trailer. I know of a lot of cases where no two trailers with the same year and model number are built the same.

That vintage of a trailer does not remind me of a trailer where the manufacturer skimped on the axles. And not sure you even need the same axle rating or even if that axle is still made. I am thinking if it turns out to have 4,000lb. axles I would not hesitate to put a new 4,400lb. on it.

Example my current trailer - 2013 Keystone Vantage 25RBS. It has 4,400lb axles. So does the bigger Keystone Vantage 29 RLS as well as the biggest Keystone Vantage 32' models. I am pretty sure all models have 4,400lb axles.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsejr View Post
I'm getting ready to go axle shopping for a replacement front axle on my Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 30 travel trailer. I'm having a very hard time finding any information online about this trailer.
Anyone know what the specs are for that axle? I thought there would be a tag or a stamp on it that would give me the weight rating, but I haven't seen one. All I know is it's a 6 lug and I don't think it has brakes on the front one...
I can get a 6k one from a trailer parts dealership near my house, but I think the lug pattern might be different. They suggested I buy two complete sets and change everything, ( springs, shackles, hubs, rims and tires) and quoted a dern good deal, included a warranty on the all the parts. It will change the tires rim size but keeps the overall size very close to the same.. maybe a 1in. Difference at the very most.. and I think the air pressure is different also.
Other then that I got a friend that just retired fromm a glass shop that's going to help with inspecting the windows and rebeding them. The only thing I will have invested in the trailer is the price of getting the title... I think the state said less then $300.. and the axle.. or axles. Ohh and a few grand in soap and scrub brushes, because that is a dirty puppy out side!
There is very little rust on the wheels , Why are you saying you need new axle? Rust or bent?
Old 03-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsejr View Post
Thanks everyone.
I am presently waiting on the DOT guy before I start spending money.. I got a "bill of sale", but the DOT is going to help me get a clean title in my hands. Lol
Turns out I know the inspector from a while back. He said he ran the numbers and there was no lien or stolen property reports on it in North Carolina.
I seem to recall that North Carolina does not title trailers, and many states will not issue titles on former NC trailers, so tread carefully on this.

Charles
Old 03-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #14

Well the axle broke between the springs and the spindle. It might be repairable but I'm not sure. The axle guys said it appears that the folks were turning really sharp to the right and the left tire was being dragged side way and hit the rut from the 5 ton truck being used to move the camper and they put too much of a side load on the front axle. He said he did not look at the axle or under the camper because it started raining pretty hard and he was just riding by my lot and wanted to see the camper. The wreckage is exactly where it broke... The last guy just unhooked it and drove away.