Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Front window seal repair

So I have 2015 Pacific Coach Works ECON 18 RBS. After we got back from Anza Borrego State Park last weekend, it rained pretty hard for a few days. We went in to remove linens and notice the bedding was wet under the front window. I pulled out the bedding and mattress and there was some moisture on the plywood too. There is no evidence how here the moisture came from. I suspect the window. I sealed the roof seams and around the window. I noted few things as I was cleaning up the area.
1. The external window cover has seal but it impossible for it to work properly. The hinge for cover creates a step that the seal goes over. Having a step in the seal surface seems like it would make water tight impossible. Good thing this is not the primary seal.
2. The window is installed a slanted surface which makes a little place for water to collect. When I checked the the seal this morning, that area was full of water again. I guess this isn't a problem if the window seal is good and/or the cover seal works right.
3. The latch for the cover is riveted onto the frame and the water level in the little catch area reaches the rivet holes before it spills over the lip.
4. When I press on the rubber gasket between the frame and the glass, there is obviously water between the gasket and glass.
The latch catches seem straight forward, apply sealant to entire area.
The external seal seems impossible to fix as it is a flaw in the cover design.
The rubber seal seems like there are options.
A) Take it apart, dry everything, apply sealer, between glass and seal and between seal and frame.
B) Take apart and replace rubber seal
C) Apply sealant between glass rubber seal (fillet) and between frame rubber gasket.
D) Take to dealer...
As a design engineer, it pisses off to find these kinds of design flaws. Both the hinge design and the frame are seriously flawed in my opinion.
Opinions on the repairs?
If you made it this far, how do you add the TV and TT the bottom of your signature? Do you type it every time?
I am going to attempt to add pictures in a reply.
Tom
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #2

Edit your signature.......in the user CP area...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Pictures

Not sure this worked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_120153SM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	278128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_120202sm.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	278129  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_120231sm.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	278130   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200315_120357sm.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	278131  

Old 03-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #4

The cover is not the issue. The butyl putty tape between the window frame and the trailer wall is what seals the opening against water intrusion. You need to pull the window to inspect for water damage inside the wall, and to replace the butyl tape seal.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #5

Using silicon based sealant or other glue type sealant makes future maintenance difficult. The window frames are usually designed to seal with clamping force on butyl tape. Some folks put a bead of silicon around the outside edge. It may help for a while. It will soon look shabby as it discolors and deteriorates.

It is a front window on a sloping surface, it will need maintenance.

The hinged cover is designed to break the wind, driving rain, and flying stones.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #6

The butyl seal is not the issue. In fact, the butyl seal looks good. If you look at the second picture down, it is the seal between the glass and the aluminum frame (a rubber seal) that has me concerned. When I push on that rubber seal, water seeps out between the glass and rubber and between the rubber and the aluminum. The angle on the frame makes a puddle where water can collect. The water level can raise up high enough to reach the rubber seal.
Tom
Old 03-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 2 years old trailer with the same problem. Twice into a dealer twice out same problem. Said they didn’t want to see it again.

I tried everything. Finally I covered the window about3 inches past the rubber seal. (Used tape to hold the plastic)
Left it like that over one he’ll of a rainstorm. No problem the plastic worked. All that did was confirm it was the window. I tried every possible but the only thing I didn’t try was a new seal.

I traded the trailer in on a sunny day and never looked back.

Is it possible you bought my old trailer.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #8

LOL. No chance its the same trailer, just the same crappy design...
Old 03-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #9

Update

I covered the entire window and frame with a plastic sheet. I taped the plastic to the fiberglass with painter tape. It rained pretty hard last night. I checked thing this morning and there was moisture on he outside of the window, possibly condensation, and tiny trickle on the inside coming from under the aluminum frame. The total amount of water was less than 1/2 of a teaspoon. I am 90% sure it is coming through the rubber seal. When I came home 12 hours later the window sill was bone dry. The seal still was holding water, but a lot less than the day before. The area inside where the water has ran to was also dry. The trailer has a vent right where the front start to curve don and I pulled the shroud ff it and all that is completely dry.
Any idea on where to get a new rubber seal? Also, Do you think the rubber seal can be replaced without replacing the Butyl seal? I am sure the glass comes out from the inside.
Thanks,
Old 03-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #10

Is it possible to put a seal on the edge of the cover? Don’t know how it looks closed, so just throwing out a thought.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #11

There is already a seal there but the design of the hinge makes it impossible to work function correctly.

Tags
air, repair, seal, wind, window