Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

FT in TT.

I think starting our adventure in a TT would be a great idea so if we decide in 9 months its not for us we are not invested in a $50000 MH. on the other hand, we can always trade up if we decide that FT is for us..i just about bought a 36' fleetwood..but feel this is a much better choice right now for us..i would like to hear your thoughts on this please.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #2

"i just about bought a 36' fleetwood"

So you haven't bought a TT yet? What do you currently camp in?

How many in your family?

Pets?

Tow vehicle?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
GBB

We're kinda in the same boat. Not looking to full time, but spend 4 to 6 months traveling. We did it couple winters ago in a TC which wasnt too bad just needed more storage. We are also going the TT route after countless hours trying to decide between a TT and 5th wheel. Want to keep my truck bed for storage. Like you mentioned...can always upgrade.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I think starting our adventure in a TT would be a great idea so if we decide in 9 months its not for us we are not invested in a $50000 MH. on the other hand, we can always trade up if we decide that FT is for us..i just about bought a 36' fleetwood..but feel this is a much better choice right now for us..i would like to hear your thoughts on this please.
My pick up and TT cost $75K - search for my post on it.

So, I don't see where the money savings is. You would need a TT and PU then if you don't like a TT you have to sell it and buy a 36'?

Have you done the math on it all?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

We go on extended trips in the south west during the winter. Most full timers are in a Diesel Pusher, or a 5th wheel. Full timing in a TT is not as common, but have met a few that full time in the Grand Design TT, and love it.
We can all give our opinions, but if I was you I would explore all options, because only you know what’s best for you.
But when it comes to maintenance, and keeping it clean, a TT is very hard to beat, as they are not very tall, and no oil to change.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

I wouldn't hesitate to launch out full time in our Outback (which we are looking at possibly doing in about 3 years or so). I've seen folks FTing in a small Wolf TT. Make no mistake, you don't have to have a huge Class A or the latest top-end 5th wheel to FT in. It's kind of like your residence now. Must you have the big, 4Ksf house on the corner lot or are you the kind of person that is comfortable in the small 1200sf cottage down the block? In the end, all of them will be located in the same neighborhood. I say go for it, enjoy not starting out so deep in debt.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

They are now making TT with opposing slides plus a slide in the bedroom. The interior looks like a 5th wheel. Look at a Winnebago 27 RBDS.. I could full time in that being pulled by a 3/4 ton truck. Put a cap over the truck bed to gain a ton of storage.

There are people that full time in a TT so I know it can be done.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #8

This is what Pammi and I are planning on doing when we retire in 5 years. Selling the house and buying a larger truck and TT and seeing this great country.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

I would look at a used TT, 3-5 years old will save you money. Find the floor plan you like and ensure your towing vehicle can handle the weight and enjoy the trip.
oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #10

Search YouTube for full time RVing and you'll find videos of people full timing in everything from camper vans to class C's,TT's, fivers up to the largest class A's.

Kind of cool to see how folks make different things work out for them.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We went with a fifth wheel. Set up and breakdown of the TT was more work and there is so much more storage in the fifth wheel. I had the truck capacity so I only had to buy the trailer. I did not want a MH because I would have to buy a toad and the interior space for what I could afford cannot compare to what I have now.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #12

We have a tow vehicle already Dodge Durango. Looking in the 30ft range..yes it will tow a 27-31 ft easily. The 36' fleetwood was a MH.. i could have been more clear with that.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
We have a tow vehicle already Dodge Durango. Looking in the 30ft range..yes it will tow a 27-31 ft easily. The 36' fleetwood was a MH.. i could have been more clear with that.
Will it though? Have you done the math on the payload you have available on that Durango?
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What are the specs for the towing captivity on the Durango?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote