Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Funny, Memorable, or Uplifting Camping Moments

Our first trip out three years ago. It was a week long journey over mountain passes, and into the woods. We had gotten settled and my husband came inside to get gloves to connect the black water lines. I told him the gloves were up there (and I point) in the cupboard. He pulls open the cupboard %**$#??*4##@@!!+%##@! Note to self: Items Shift During Travel! He did not talk to me for a couple hours, but I say how can you help but laugh when you see all those item just spill out and the look on his face I mean come on now. He didn't require stitches or anything, not even a bandaid, and we learned a very valuable lesson.

I'd love to hear other stories. I will have to share the hole in the center of the bed story too. My poor honey. LOL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My most often recurring troubles are things falling out of overhead cupboards when I open the doors. It makes me laugh every time!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
IC2

Oh but we learn so quickly not to put heavier items on upper shelves, i.e. containers of sugar, coffee and flour. My DW had to learn that harsh lesson.

My latest 'lesson' got me familiar with Eterna Bond rubber roof repair materials when I discovered that a 38 foot 5th wheel trailer is really a lot more then 5 feet longer then a 33 footer especially when this newer one has an extended pin box while the last one was a conventionally tucked under the nose unit.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ut Oh

Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
IC2, I was born and raised in Auburn, NY. Moved to WA State in 1999. Where in upstate are you (if you don't mind me asking).
Old 03-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I bought some small spring tension rods that I put inside overhead doors where thing might fall out from shifting. It has saved me lots of cussin'.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalwoman View Post
IC2, I was born and raised in Auburn, NY. Moved to WA State in 1999. Where in upstate are you (if you don't mind me asking).
No problem. Quite a distance from Auburn, just South of Saratoga Springs. Been a good many years since I've gone any closer to Auburn then the NY Thruway.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Bumps on the Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I bought some small spring tension rods that I put inside overhead doors where thing might fall out from shifting. It has saved me lots of cussin'.
I have those too! I don't want to laugh too much at his owies!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Beautiful area. Ahhhhh the wonderful NYS Thruway. Happy camping 2016!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #10

Way back in the late 70's, we were in our first motorhome; a 1977 Midas Mini that we used to tow our autocross car on a trailer. I had an established set routine for setup and departure but one time, in the middle of preparing to leave a campground, a friendly fellow camper came over to ask questions about the trailer. We finished our conversation, I then started to drive off only to look in the side mirror in time to see the electric cord become tight and pull the electric pedestal out of the ground . I stopped, coiled up the undamaged cord, and felt many pairs of eyes watching to see what would happen next. I walked into the campground office, confessed my mistake, and left with no repair charges added to my bill (The pedestal was old and the wood was partially rotted).

This episode convinced my to always do a walk around before moving the motorhome.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #11

Me again. The memories are still coming.

Our second motorhome was a 1983 Winnebago Chieftain and we were, again, in the middle of a trip with the car trailer behind. This was in my working days, we were in a hurry to get home, looking for a campground late at night and it was pitch black. DW was directing me from the Good Sam camping directory and we turned off the interstate onto a 4 lane highway, a two lane highway, then onto a very narrow paved road but still no sign of a campground. At this point my confidence gave out and I decided to look elsewhere. There was a farm and barn adjacent to the road, and I sort of backed the trailer onto the grass to turn around. I had the side window open and suddenly smelled something bad. It seems that Winnebago had put the drain valves on a big "L" shaped plastic pipe arrangement, and this was connected to the grey and black tanks with large rubber hoses and hose clamps. I had backed into a shallow depression, knocked this thing off, and emptied the holding tanks . I stopped before running over the pipe, but had to think a bit over what to do with the smelly thing. I finally attached it to the car trailer with some bungee cords and we slunk off into the night. To this day, I imagine the grass grows better in a section of that farmyard...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We were on the Olympic Peninsula in my old F250 with a Kamp king camper on it. We were heading to Lapush. There's a cutoff that is a main haul logging road. This means it's a gravel road about 4 lanes wide. Some places had a lot of washboard but some of the surface was really smooth. When we got to the beach and got in the camper to make lunch we discovered that the 5 lb bag of rice had broken open. I was finding rice for the next 5 years.
seaeagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Seaeagle you probably never did get all of that rice, oh man.....

The OP's story puts me in mind of Fibber Mcgee's closet from the golden age of radio shows.

George, you remind me of something I witnessed at a park dump station once.
This fellow was getting ready to hook up his sewer hose to the outlet on the RV. Naturally, before you do that you have to take the cap off right? Of course. Only problem was, after the prior emptying session, he forgot to close the black tank valve! I hear this racket of liquid splattering and hollering, I look to see kids hanging out the windows laughing and yelling at dad, his DW yelling his name once and shaking her head throwing up her arms and heading the other direction, almost acting though as if this was a normal occurrence. Like, not again! (?)

Hope I never do that.

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a very enjoyable story, quite appropriate since it is almost Easter. We were camping when my sons were pretty young, maybe 7 and 3. As a family we had made colored eggs before we left, and early Easter morning DH and I had gotten up and hidden them outside. The kids got up, went to hunt eggs, and found many eggs they knew they hadn't made; bunches of plastic eggs with a piece of candy inside. They were thrilled beyond measure that the Easter bunny did exist! Across the road was a family with teenagers, all sitting outside early that morning with huge grins on their faces. We later went to thank them, and they disavowed all knowledge and said it absolutely had been the Easter bunny, but the huge grins they had gave it away. Besides, they were the only other people in the campground.

Campers are pretty nice folks.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping