Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Furnace troubleshooting

Hello all, I'm in need of some troubleshooting tips for my Atwood 8500 series furnace.

My furnace has stopped lighting. The fan will run for a minute or so, the furnace will not light, and then of course the fan stops. I think I'm getting gas, well not me, but the furnace, because the hot water tank works on gas the way it should. I have checked for voltage at the heater, and I have voltage. I did recently have a gas regulator issue, the hoses were leaking so I replaced them, and I did lose the little plastic ball in the switcher. But as I said, the hot water tank works, and the range works.

Any ideas or troubleshooting tips would be appreciate, we keep the RV warm with space heaters, but it has cost us a bunch.
RobertRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you check the sail switch?

When the blower starts there is a little switch with a blade on it to detect that air is moving. If that switch doesn't close then the gas won't light.

The switch is in the air return part of the furnace.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #3

If you can hear the furnace clicking (electronic ignition) but does not light and fan stops, it is not the sail switch. If fan runs but no clicking it is most likely the sail switch.
Hope that helps.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

I had the same problem. so when I got poking around and touched a certain wire it started. wire terminals look good and clean but loose contact were they slide together unplug and replug or clean with some kind of contact cleaner .
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try closing the valve at the bottle with the stove on then turn stove off after it goes out. Then turn the valve on the bottle on again VERY SLOWLY.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

I have the same furnace, same problem. Ended up being the sail switch.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #7

Hi Robert and welcome to iRV2.

Lots of good information given. I'll share with you what had happened to our furnace one time. You didn't mention whether or not you can hear it clicking while the furnace tries to ignite. If you can hear it, it may be due to the electrodes not being the right distance apart. The last trailer I had developed that issue and found the electrodes were too close together to provide a good enough spark to ignite the gas. The gap was widened a bit to provide a bigger spark and it worked fine after that. Just something else to check. Cheers.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

Mine was acting the same way. Turned out a small bug had stopped up the orifice.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
If you can hear the furnace clicking (electronic ignition) but does not light and fan stops, it is not the sail switch. If fan runs but no clicking it is most likely the sail switch.
Hope that helps.
I can't hear any clicking, the fan runs, then shuts off when it doesn't start.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Hi Robert and welcome to iRV2.

Lots of good information given. I'll share with you what had happened to our furnace one time. You didn't mention whether or not you can hear it clicking while the furnace tries to ignite. If you can hear it, it may be due to the electrodes not being the right distance apart. The last trailer I had developed that issue and found the electrodes were too close together to provide a good enough spark to ignite the gas. The gap was widened a bit to provide a bigger spark and it worked fine after that. Just something else to check. Cheers.
Thanks, and very interesting. I can't hear any clicking at all.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRand View Post
Thanks, and very interesting. I can't hear any clicking at all.
did you check all the connectors in the heater area? have someone turn the heater on then start wigging the wire connectors.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Try closing the valve at the bottle with the stove on then turn stove off after it goes out. Then turn the valve on the bottle on again VERY SLOWLY.
That did it! Then when the furnace turned off because it got warm, tried to turn it on again and it wouldn't start.

Tags
ace, furnace